PDA

View Full Version : A perfect match??

SUPERBEE
06-12-2006, 12:45 AM
As most of you know I have been putting together Mid-Fi systems for several friends. It was so refreashing to have someone step up and want to do a "Big" system and I really enjoyed the hunt not to mention this guy kicked down $200 for my time and trouble

So...I was fairly sure the combo of the big, boomy, JBL L-200's and Mcintosh solid state would be a good match. MY GOD!...........The mix of the sharp and clear Mac SS with the "Gi-Normous" JBL's seems to be the perfect fit

Anyone else care to comment?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN2110.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN2118.JPG

JBLnsince1959
06-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Yes, I agree completely...something magical there. I thought so 30 years ago and still do. Lucky guy..:applaud:

Looks like a MAC 2105 and C26 in the picture:D

SUPERBEE
06-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes, I agree completely...something magical there. I thought so 30 years ago and still do. Lucky guy..:applaud:

Looks like a MAC 2105 and C26 in the picture:D

Tis a 2105, a C-26, and of course the L-200's
All purchased for under $2,100.00

JBLnsince1959
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Tis a 2105, a C-26, and of course the L-200's
All purchased for under $2,100.00

Nice, very nice....

If anyone ever gets a chance try this..... get an amp or receiver from MAC designed and built 68 to early 70's and compare the sound to Mac's ( receivers in particular) made from 88 to date....

the difference is amazing...the older designs have much more "life" to them...

Zilch
06-12-2006, 10:43 AM
They're not L200's anymore, except in appearance; without more info about the mods, it's hard to guess how they might sound.

The LE15B's have been changed to something with foam surrounds. If it's 2235H, that's a good thing, provided the cabinets were retuned appropriately for them. It appears something was done to the ports, so "Maybe."

The added titanium dome tweeter and crossover changes are unknown, and, depending upon the skill of whoever did them, may also be a plus. Is the original crossover still in place on the rear panel?

I presume there's still an LE85 in there, but, from what you've said, there's no longer a midrange level adjustment, and the balance with the woofer is therefore indeterminate.

L200's are a versatile DIY mod platform, in my experience; almost anything done improves them, unless you WANT their original kick-butt rock 'n' roll without VHF voice, of course.... :thmbsup:

JBLnsince1959
06-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Zilch:

I agree completely. personally the only mods I would do is to make it a 300 with a slot tweeter and maybe put in some new crossover parts, but then I'm NOT a knowlegable Mr. DIY like Giskard...

It would be interesting to hear how these sound with the current mods..

SUPERBEE...maybe you said this in the other thread but how do they compare with standard 200's as far as sound?and what parts are in them....

SUPERBEE
06-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Zilch:

I agree completely. personally the only mods I would do is to make it a 300 with a slot tweeter and maybe put in some new crossover parts, but then I'm NOT a knowlegable Mr. DIY like Giskard...

It would be interesting to hear how these sound with the current mods..

SUPERBEE...maybe you said this in the other thread but how do they compare with standard 200's as far as sound?and what parts are in them....

I am not a "Technical" guy so all I know is the former owner said he put a titanium tweeter in years ago when they first came out. He is/was a big audio buff and the work looked to be done very well. The Xover was the original. I have been playing them for the last few days and they sound great. I could here the tweeter working but over all couldnt tell you if it hurts or helped as I alwys think the SS gear is too bright anyway. I ran the brightness on the back at MIN and ran the tone controls on the Mac fairly flat and it sounded pretty darn good, Almost as good as my Olympus IMHO.