PDA

View Full Version : Removing top plate from LE85

LE15-Thumper
06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Ok, I did a search first and couldn't find my answer.

I have a rusty LE85 that needs to be cleaned up. Can the top plate be removed ? I noticed 3 screws that appear to be fastened from the backside. Can this plate be removed.

paragon
06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Screws, where ?

LE15-Thumper
06-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Underneath the diaphram if you look closely, there are three screws driven in from the front side of the magnetic assy.

paragon
06-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Srews hold what (Phaseplug) ??

LE15-Thumper
06-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Forget it !!

subwoof
06-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Inside the driver's top plate is a recessed area ( on some - depends on the age ) that a thin ring of aluminum is bolted to it. It's in the illustration but not identified. It's use is to exactly center the phase plug and on some models it was only glued.

I have seen these come loose and cause "rattling" on drivers that were used in portable PA's.

And you can remove the top plate by lifting it off. Get (3) GRADE 8 1/4-20 X 3/4 bolts. thread them into the mounting holes and tighted them a little at a time until the plate lifts off enough for you to use a pair of large screw drivers to finish.

This is a good way to get finger-pinching blood blisters so be real careful.

Of course this will reduce the magnetism somewhat but maybe not noticable if used by itself.

If only the outer rim is rusted, bolt the driver to a circle of wood and borrow a potterswheel. Weigh it down enough and get it centered.

Then use a GOOD wood chisel and re-surface the exposed ring - be sure to leave the back cap on and tape over the entire gap and phaseplug area.

Kinda like a poormans rotary milling machine. Finish it off with 220 wet/dry and it will look like new.

sub

Ducatista47
06-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Subwoof, I keep telling these guys how handy you would be to have around, but this is way cool. Are you related to MacGyver? Man, I wish you were my neighbor!

Clark in Peoria