PDA

View Full Version : Need opinnions, LE15a or D140r

Chris Buckley
06-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Hi all,
I have to move my S8 componemts from a large pair of N5X(?) cabinets to a pair of smaller Apollo C51 cabinets, and was thinking of swapping out the woofers. My Le15a drivers work great and have had the foam surrounds replaced a while back, I've just never really liked the idea of foam surrounds. I know that the surround was changed for the LE15b drivers, I just haven't found any for a good price but do have a pair of D140r drivers that seem to be similar, smaller magnets though. Anyway, if anyone has any experience or ideas about swapping between the LE15a and the D140r drivers , I would love to hear from you. On a personal note, I am in my mid 50s and listen mostly R+R and Blues from the 60's and 70's.
Thanks a bunch,
Chris Buckley
Fairfax, Ca.

Zilch
06-10-2006, 10:04 AM
You'll lose the extended bass provided by the LE15A.

Try the D140's. The difference will be immediately apparent. See if you like it.

Do this in your existing cabinets, as you will also lose some with the smaller Apollo cabinets.

You'll likely have to retune the cabinets to get them "right" for whatever driver you use and the response you want. Swapping drivers and cabinets is rarely so simple a matter as we'd like to presume.

The foam thing is in your head. Just count on replacing the foam every 15 - 20 years if you decide to stay with your original LE15A's.

The foam was not "changed" for the LE15B drivers. It's a very different driver, used in L200/A, and JBL continued using foam surround drivers for the L200B, L300, 43xx, 44xx, etc.

Too bad you missed these in Sacramento for $300 last week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9732110349&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Mr. Widget
06-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I've just never really liked the idea of foam surrounds.Why?

From a former Fairfax resident, welcome to the Lansing Heritage Forum!

Widget

Chris Buckley
06-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Why?

From a former Fairfax resident, welcome to the Lansing Heritage Forum!

Widget
Just mental I guess, I hate to have to re-foam every 15 years or so. There used to be(maybe still is) a guy named Hal Cox around in the county, He used to be a dealer for JBL and used to brag that he knew James personaly. Hal used to tell me that the LE series of drivers were the worst that JBL ever produced, he used to go on and on about the foam surrounds. My S8's allways sounded fantastic to me, too bad my wife burned up one of my original cabinets and most of the drivers in it, the 375 and the crossovers were all that survived. Thanks for the welcome!!!

Chris Buckley
06-10-2006, 01:52 PM
You'll lose the extended bass provided by the LE15A.

Try the D140's. The difference will be immediately apparent. See if you like it.

Do this in your existing cabinets, as you will also lose some with the smaller Apollo cabinets.

You'll likely have to retune the cabinets to get them "right" for whatever driver you use and the response you want. Swapping drivers and cabinets is rarely so simple a matter as we'd like to presume.

The foam thing is in your head. Just count on replacing the foam every 15 - 20 years if you decide to stay with your original LE15A's.

The foam was not "changed" for the LE15B drivers. It's a very different driver, used in L200/A, and JBL continued using foam surround drivers for the L200B, L300, 43xx, 44xx, etc.

Too bad you missed these in Sacramento for $300 last week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9732110349&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Thanks for the reply, I'll probably stick with the LE15a's then, and get the one that burned up with my cabinet re-coned. I don't think the fire hurt the frame as the paint was not discolored, just cone and surround burned up. I figured that I will probably lose some with the Apollo cabinets as well, my home is really small and the Apollo cabs will fit in better. I have also formed a new law in the house for my wife, NO FU#*#NG CANDLES ALLOWED IN THE HOUSE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

Mr. Widget
06-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you are lucky not to have lost more than your speaker!

I would take much of what Hal said with a grain of salt. If you use our search function you will find a thread or two talking about him.

The LE15A was offered as an alternative to the high efficiency woofers. The trend in audio has been away from those high efficiency designs, though many here on this forum are advocates of the high efficiency designs... and recently there has been a resurgence of interest in high efficiency designs. In general high efficiency systems tend to be more colored but they do offer a sound quality that can be quite compelling.

Are your systems S8R or S8? Were your cabs ported or sealed. Of the three possible combinations I personally like the ported version the best.

Widget

Chris Buckley
06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Sounds like you are lucky not to have lost more than your speaker!

I would take much of what Hal said with a grain of salt. If you use our search function you will find a thread or two talking about him.

The LE15A was offered as an alternative to the high efficiency woofers. The trend in audio has been away from those high efficiency designs, though many here on this forum are advocates of the high efficiency designs... and recently there has been a resurgence of interest in high efficiency designs. In general high efficiency systems tend to be more colored but they do offer a sound quality that can be quite compelling.

Are your systems S8R or S8? Were your cabs ported or sealed. Of the three possible combinations I personally like the ported version the best.

Widget

Hal was an old friend, he probably knew quite a bit a long, long time ago in another dimension. My S8's were just that, with 2, 4" tubed ports above the LE15, a 375 driven H93 above the ports with an H91 lens that protruded through a cut out in the grills. Above the 375/H93 was a 2404H that Hal used to tell me was an upgrade from the original 075. The crossovers sat side by side in the rear panel of the cabs, an LX5 and an N7000. Back in the day,(about 25 years ago) I traded a pair of McIntosh MC30 monoblock power amps for the pair of JBLs. A short while back I got screwed by a guy in so.Cal for a pair of C50 cabinets, the guy never shipped them to me or refunded my money, PAYPAL could only recover $175. of the $400 I paid the guy. The C50 cabs were set up for the S8R system, I even bought a pair of PR15's that I will probably be listing on Ebay someday. It's really too bad that I never got the C50 cabs, I would've liked to hear the S8's in that big sealed box with the 15" passive radiator. You mentioned being in the city, remember "Lakeshore Hifi" up at West Portal??? I worked there through High School,part time as a Tech, from '68 through '70.

Zilch
06-10-2006, 04:55 PM
If your Apollos are in good condition and have fretwork grilles, I'll trade you a pair of C60 Sovereigns for them, and you can set up your full S8R system.

You'll have to fix one shallow gouge on the top of one, and dryclean the pleated grille cloth....

Chris Buckley
06-11-2006, 10:03 AM
If your Apollos are in good condition and have fretwork grilles, I'll trade you a pair of C60 Sovereigns for them, and you can set up your full S8R system.

You'll have to fix one shallow gouge on the top of one, and dryclean the pleated grille cloth....

The Apollo cabs are the C51-1, no fretwork grilles. I do have the original D130's and have not as of yet made any modifications like cutting holes for the N7000 and the 2402, the only thing I have done is to replace the blank panel pieces that that covered the holes for the 175dlh with pieces of 3/4" plywood that has been cut and drilled to mount my 375/h93. My plan will be to cut another hole in the rear to mount an N7000 and a 3-1/8 hole in the baffle to mount the 2402on the left side of the H93, which would put it opposite but inline with the reflex port. The grilles on these bottom of the line Apollos are covered with what what we used to call a Cane type of grillecloth, I don't know if it was original. The Fretwork grilles on the C51-2 cabs look much better, but these grilles look pretty good and period.

Chris Buckley
06-11-2006, 12:06 PM

I should have added, if you are marginally interested in my Apollos, what else would it take to get the C60's out of you????????????? I am interested!!!!!

Zilch
06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Check your private messages, Chris.... :)