PDA

View Full Version : JBL 2121 Repair

mbd7
06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I took my 2121's to a shop who said they have a lot experience repairing speakers and could put new surrounds on these speakers. When I got there I implored on them that I want these speakers to look just as they did when I dropped them off. When picked them up today I was horrified at what had become of them. They put the foam surround on the outside of the cone and "fixed" the perfectly good original dust caps by putting some aftermarket ones on that projects out instead of inward as the original did. What have they done to these speakers and what can do with the mess they've created. They do "work" but they look horrible. I've got pictures of them before and after the speaker butcher did his thing to them.

Zilch
06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Check out what an alleged "Factory Technician" did to a 2235H for $50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-2235H-LOW-FREQUENCY-WOOFER_W0QQitemZ7421782512QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47095 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's no dearth of incompetent idiots in the business, quite obviously.

I'd be calling the JBL rep in charge of that Service Center for compensation....

John
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
This is a bit late in the game, but you should of asked to see some just completed work that they do??? If it helps I feel your pain.:banghead:

edgewound
06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Check out what an alleged "Factory Technician" did to a 2235H for $50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-2235H-LOW-FREQUENCY-WOOFER_W0QQitemZ7421782512QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47095 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's no dearth of incompetent idiots in the business, quite obviously.

I'd be calling the JBL rep in charge of that Service Center for compensation....

JBL doesn't offer a re-foam kit. If you don't want to pay for a full-on recone, the refoam is at your own peril...or success. Obviously some technicians are better than others at the art of loudspeaker repair. It's no different than any other service.

Edit: As an aside...I don't condone the hack job of your 2121's one bit. You just have to be careful...and clear. It's a good idea to have your instructions written on your work order so there is no confusion.

Mr. Widget
06-09-2006, 01:20 PM
When I got there I implored on them that I want these speakers to look just as they did when I dropped them off. When picked them up today I was horrified at what had become of them. Don't ask, demand that they recone your speakers with factory C8R2121 kits. They are expensive and the bozos will scream. You need to scream louder until they correct their mistake.

Widget

GordonW
06-09-2006, 01:45 PM
And don't let them tell you they're out of stock. JBL has stock of C8R2121, as of right now. I know, I just ordered in a pair... just got them in this week.

Why do people feel the need to remove the dustcaps on speakers like this?! With a 2121 (ie, LE10-type frame and cone, basically), they will just about AUTO CENTER, if you just put the surrounds on there and let the cone "fall" into place before gluing them. NO problem for even a marginally experienced repair tech, to get them right. Yeah, they might be a little harder than a sloppy car woofer to refoam, but there's no excuse to butcher up a speaker like a 2121...

Regards,
Gordon.

mbd7
06-10-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm taking these to another JBL Factory Authorized Repair facility to get a second opinion on the damages incurred to these speakers. According to a lawyer I talked to, Texas allows "Treble" (triple) damages on deceptive trade practice issues so if they need reconed then the dufus who screwed them up can pay dearly for his "learning" experience. As they say... experience is inversely proportional to the amount of equipment ruined!

mrmuse
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Please don't laugh, please don't throw things. I'm trying to learn.

What in that picture is wrong??? I read and read and because you all have so much "speaker" knowledge under your belts you can see things I can't.

I want to "fine tune" my recone skills. I've done a few for myself, but now I'm getting people asking me to do speakers for them, which is a whole different ball game.

I guess what I'm saying is I know how to do it, now I need to understand what it is I'm doing.

mrmuse

mbd7
06-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I started this thread because someone butchered my JBL 2121's so I think you've done the prudent thing by asking for input to your actions which is a hell of lot more than I got for the guy who FU'd mine.

mech986
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Could you post the pictures so we can recoil in horror? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

Zilch
06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
What in that picture is wrong??? I read and read and because you all have so much "speaker" knowledge under your belts you can see things I can't.1) The new surround is glued to the face of the cone rather than the rear.

2) It appears to be a butyl rubber surround rather than foam.

3) The center dome was glued on by someone with preschool mechanical skills. All it takes to do a decent job is a lazy-susan turntable and a steady hand.

4) The greasy fingermarks all over the cone are a lovely embellishment too, don't you think?

mech986
06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Hi Zilch,

When I look at the 2235, what I think I see is the remnant of a former front surround or the glue area where it was. The new surround kinda looks grey and appears to be placed on the back - the front surround area is light brownish and the surround seems very grey to me with a specific dark line visible around the edge of the cone. So I think the surround might be placed correctly. Hard to tell from the supplied picture.

The cone marks and heavy dust cap glue job I agree with you on - should be much cleaner.

I suspect that's what some of my 2235H's will look like because at least 3 of them are front surrounded before I got them - so ultimate refoaming will be put on the back but the old evidence of the front surround will still be there in some fashion. Any way to get the old front foam resdiue off and still have a decent cosmetic appearance?

Regards,

Bart

mrmuse
06-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Cool, I don't feel so bad now as I didn't catch anyone laughing...

I've learned over the years to shutup and pay attention and when ever possible pick the brain of the people that know.

I learned a lot so far. Now, I have a question directly related to this. Have made contact with someone who has been building coils and putting together "kits" since the 70's. He is branching out on his own and the kit's are very low in price, almost rediculous in fact.

If I post some info relating to coils and kits could you guys say yea or nay on it.

I was motivated by not getting a "crap recone" but having a 116H-1 reconed at a cost of 192.00 and a wait time of almost 3 months. I need to learn so as to avoid this in the future.

mbd7
06-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Here's my first attemp at posting pictures and after perusing Don McRitchie's "Posting Pictures" for dummies primer I hope it works.

mbd7
06-13-2006, 06:00 AM
It worked! Here's the after pictures. Can you list everything thats different between these pictures! He says they'll sound fine but until I get the surrounds replaced on the 2231A's (not by him!) I won't know how bad they really are.

John W
06-13-2006, 08:15 AM
What a travesty.

edgewound
06-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Please don't laugh, please don't throw things. I'm trying to learn.

What in that picture is wrong??? I read and read and because you all have so much "speaker" knowledge under your belts you can see things I can't.

I want to "fine tune" my recone skills. I've done a few for myself, but now I'm getting people asking me to do speakers for them, which is a whole different ball game.

I guess what I'm saying is I know how to do it, now I need to understand what it is I'm doing.

mrmuse

This is what was done to that 2235:

1) The dust dome was cut above the original glue line, but not all the way...like a "soup can"...to allow a shim to be inserted to center the coil.
2) The surround was glued to the backside of the cone.
3) After installing the surround, PVA sealer was applied to the front side or the surround to slow down the rot process. Some other manufactures have done this. It makes the foam last a little longer . EV did this on some woofers, as did Gale, and Tannoy. It's not a JBL process. Customers will ask if there is anything that can be done to make the surround last longer, and this is a solution. It's the customers decision ultimately and it costs a few extra bucks.
4) The original, cut dust dome was repositioned and a new glue line was put down.

These are the types of repairs that one will come across on the used market....some a re good looking repairs...some are not so good.

The only way to get it factory perfect is to pay for a recone. Refoams though, can be done well if the tech is very good....That 2121 sucks big time.

Disclaimer....I did not do that 2235 that is pictured....It's just what I see on my good Sony LCD monitor.

edgewound
06-13-2006, 11:06 AM
That's the right surround with a very bad execution. The tech should find a new line of work.....or get more practice before charging for repairs.

mbd7
06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
The guy's about 65 years old and says he's been doing this for 47 years. He came highly recommended by some other people. I guess I just got the wrong person to do this particular project.

mrmuse
06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I have 4 or 5 d130's, would they be good to practice on??? I can get cheap kits for trial and error, or is there another route to go.

Also Reconing seems to be a closed door practice. Nobody wants to discuss who, what, where, when or why...

I've heard certification for JBL takes two weeks. Cost???? Does one really need it..Don't laugh now, is there courses one could take, a school, an apprenticeship somewhere. This is something that really interests me.

Personal note here...Had a work injury about 10 years ago. Ended up with a shoulder replacement so I can't do a lot of things I did, but I think physically I could do this. That is part of my motivation. I've avoided going on disability and would like to continue working.

mrmuse