PDA

View Full Version : JBL GTI-15 info needed

camusmuse
06-08-2006, 07:54 AM
I know this is {gasp} a car subwoofer, but I have heard(know) that it is based on a pro driver. This is not the new goofy looking "W" series either. What I need to know is the model number(s) of the the "related" pro driver and also the dimensions of the magnet structure. I have a pdf sheet on the GTI woofer, but it only gives the mounting depth(app 5"), I need to know the magnet diameter as well. I think it is somewhere around 10". The speaker has a cast frame and a 4" edge wound voice coil. They were marked as "1000 watts" on the dust cap, though the RMS was somewhere around 600W.

JBL sold these speakers in the early to mid nineties, and they are some of the best ever for auto sound quality....IMO. They also had a 12" and 18" version. I have heard of a 10" version, but have never seen or verified that. I believe they all used the same magnet/voice coil.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.......

Blaster
06-08-2006, 02:59 PM
I think you are talking about the 1200 GTI based on the 2206, the 1500 GTI based on the 2226, and the 1800 GTI based on the 2241 magnet and frame.

camusmuse
06-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I think youre right, I found a few posts on the 2226 after I made this one. It looked the same from the back. I havent found any others that do.

Does anyone know how different they really are? I assume the basket and magnets are the same. The voice coils have different resistances, and the cones "look" different, but are there any size differences? Are the spiders the same? Can I recone a 2226 to a 1500 and vice versa? I have two 1500's NIB and would like to "save" them until I get the "right" enclosure built. I figure I could pick up some toasted 2226's and get them reconed. Use for testing, then for backups.

I have a few other projects that could I use the 1500/2226 or even the 12" or the 18" versions provided I could find then cheap. Its nice to "get to know" a speaker if you know what I mean.

Where is a good source for the recone "kits" for these? I'll continue to search, but firsthand experience would be appreciated.

subwoof
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I have used the "automotive" types with good sucess in custom stage monitors. The coil is the same as the pro's but the cone is many times the thickness and allows a decent LF response in a small box.

A club I did in key west has the 12 and 10" versions for stage monitors and having a 4 ohm coil is another advantage...:o)

That 10" version would be a GREAT seller if JBL ever got their act together...!

Recone kits are available thru any pro reconer and I think I have an 8 ohm 15" kit somewhere.

Both the 15 and 18 were available in 4 or 8 ohm but I have no idea on the current prices.

sub

spkrman57
06-09-2006, 07:57 AM
But I vaguely remember posts that 2226 does not recone to anything else.

I could be wrong, but I think the 2226 is a unique frame/magnet assembly and recones only to 2226!

Maybe the experts will confirm or deny the info!

Ron

GordonW
06-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I can vouch for a 1800GTI being reconable as a 2241. Been there, done that.

Regards,
Gordon.

subwoof
06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
"I can vouch for a 1800GTI being reconable as a 2241. Been there, done that."

Same for the 12's and 15's. Done many of them over the years.

The 10's are unique though.

sub

camusmuse
06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
So the 10's do exist.... I thought I saw a pair several years back. Is there any more information on them out there? I'd love to get ahold of a pair.....or even one for that matter.

Thanks for all the other info here......

Nate

Thom
01-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Anyone with experience with the 1800GTI. I should have read about it first. I figured an 18 in in a small box alright. Then I look it up. How did they use this in anything smaller than a Bluebird. seems to call for 6.5 to 11 is that right? Anybody ever play with it? Lots of things will play in a box that size.

vernb
02-24-2007, 08:12 AM
So the 10's do exist.... I thought I saw a pair several years back. Is there any more information on them out there? I'd love to get ahold of a pair.....or even one for that matter.

Thanks for all the other info here......

Nate

There is/was both 8" and 10" in that same series. I have had the 8" GTI and 12" GTI, often for sale here www.dba.dk (http://www.dba.dk) but you have to be ok at Danish!!!
Vern

gti car man
10-07-2007, 07:58 AM
add me to the list of car sub freaks.I have two 1500 gti's in the garage right now-had'em for about 15 years[gettin old]rocked on them a long time,and beat the s*** out of any I've put them up against.Always heard they were direct out of the pro sound arena,and wanted to know if they reconed with pro equipment,and which ones.just found this forum,and think its great!So I think it recones with a 2226[g] ?This is a 4 ohm version,is the cone weight and surround the same?oh yea,magnet IS about 10" around,not a super deep woofer[a'la w15gti]but you do need at least 3" clearance for intercool vents.I still have boxes,papers,and all the box info I could get out of jbl back then,if you need I can scan it in@post it.Any help much appreciated,as calls to THE COMPANY haven't located a licensed dealer in S.W. Indiana who even works on dreaded car junk,and these 15's need[and deserve]some TLC!:banghead: