PDA

View Full Version : Crown VFX-2A

4313B
04-18-2003, 11:59 AM
There were some posts on the old forum concerning the Crown VFX-2A. During the time the forum was down I was able to aquire a VFX-2A schematic. I can send this schematic to those who are interested once I get it scanned in.

The Crown VFX-2A is one very sweet bi-amp/tri-amp filter. 18 dB/octave Butterworth high pass/band pass/low pass filters continuously variable from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

If you install polystyrene and foil or polypropylene and foil bypass capacitors in parallel with all the series output electrolytics you step up from "very good" to "excellent" sound quality. For those who prefer minimal "electronics" in their circuit paths the Crown VFX-2A is tough to beat.

scott fitlin
04-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Those old crown Xovers are excellent sounding units! Even by todays standards they do something uncanny! Ive got a freind who got one and he just loves the way it sounds. So clean! I would like to hear an upgraded unit!

And if youve got one you want to sell, just let me know!

Another cool mod for this unit is to add output level attenuators on the front panel so you can use the balanced inputs and take advantage of the user adjustable gain on the back panel. should you decide to do this, it then becomes a SUPER - AMAZING xover for driving subwoofers and tweeters.

Dave G
04-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Mine cost me £50 which I thought was reasonable.

I would be interested in mods. I have downloaded manual but the schematic is a bit blurry if I remember.

scott fitlin
04-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Adding additional output level attenuators was an aftermarket mod. You would need to source the correct value pots, and one whose size could be fit into the unit, as you will need four, They go above the frequency and multiplier pots. Centered between the two of course!

Then you can use the balanced inputs with the variable gain and control the output level from the new front panel pots!

Mine was originally done for us by Walter Boho of Boho Labs!

Bill Roberts
04-20-2003, 04:09 PM
I was very surprised when I connected my Old Crown DC300A (silverfaced) up to my main system. Nothing like it has been "perceived to sound". Very neutral. Very big grin on my face and none of the nasties folks usually speak about.

I would love to build one of those crosovers.

The 885 series II DOD that is in my Rack serves as a rack plug.

I think I paid about 50 dollars for it.

Nasty.

rgrjit8
04-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Hey it's good to hear some feedback on this crossover. I like mine but I was wondering if I owned a clunker because I had never heard anyone mention using them before.

I do wish it had outpul level controls though. Luckily I've always used amps with similar enough input sensitivities that it has never been an issue.

scott fitlin
04-23-2003, 06:13 PM
If you did have front panel output controls you can easily use the balanced inputs and the variable gain and control the output level and run your amps wide open! Very good for driving sub and tweeter amps!