PDA

View Full Version : XO rebuild help Please

garyl
06-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi to all, I am new to the forum but not new to Altec. I have owned my 19s since new in late 1976 and my 15s since the early 1980s.

I want to rebuild the XOs in the model 15s. My thought is new caps and new L pads. I am not at all technical but I think I could handle this simple solder job.
My problem is not enough knowledge to know what or where to get the replacment parts.
I have been on the Madisound site and it looks like they have almost the same L pads as the originals, LP15s. These are rated at 15 watts and I am not sure if this is correct or not.
I have the caps in front of me that are in the XOs now but I don't understand all the numbers so I can't figure out what to buy to replace them with. Each XO has two black colored caps, the numbers are;
1068-7808, 9-65 CXR, 3-75AC-A, 3uF-75V AC. This is the larger of the two and thats all the numbers and markings from top to bottom.
The smaller cap is; TSI-7804, PA8LP75ACXTFL, 8uF-75VAC, AC.

For those of you who are familiar with the model 15s, I would be happy to hear opinions if there are upgrades I can make that others have tried.
I have no problems with the way the speakers sound or perfom now and will also be just fine with exact replacments of what is there. I do have one L pad with a broken shaft and no knob. It still works fine, just took a hit durring a move and the knob is gone and shaft is sheard off.

I am not up to speed to get involved with serious rebuilding and alot of fancy technical jargon. I did just finish with refoaming the woofers and am very satisfied with how they turned out. The 802-8G HF drivers had loose tangerine plugs and have been reglued. If I can get the XOs freshened with new caps and L pads they should be good for another 20 years.

Thanks and sorry I got so long winded.

Gary

spkrman57
06-04-2006, 02:14 PM
http://greatplainsaudio.com/

Bill can refer you to the crossover schematics that are available!

Ron

garyl
06-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Thank you Spkrman57. Bill H. is a guy I could have on speed dial because he does seem to have all the answers and is an invaluable asset to those of us who suffer with Altecitus.
He is however about as busy as a fellow can get just keeping us all happy.

Always willing to help but I don't like taking his time for all my insignificant questions. He has helped me numerous times in the past and I am sure he would gladly help me here but I hope some others here might have the info I am seeking and be able to help so I can avoid abusing Bill.
The drivers he has rebuilt for my projects have been absolutely perfect and GPA gets a big thumbs up from me.

Gary