PDA

View Full Version : 4350B/4355 Difference

steveh
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
I understand the difference in hardware between the 4350B and the 4355, ie; 2231 vs. 2235, 2440 vs. 2441, 3107 vs. 3155, etc. My question is; Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two? If so, are the differences great enough to warrant upgrading to 4355 specs.? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.:blink:

4313B
06-02-2006, 01:54 PM
are the differences great enough to warrant upgrading to 4355 specs.?Now sit back and think for a moment. :hmm:
Why would Greg bother with a 4355 if the 4350 was "good enough"? :coolness:

Oh, by the way - don't waste your time with anything less than charge-coupled 4355 filters and aquaplased diaphragms in your 2440/375/2441/376 cores. This is the new century. Don't be bashful, step on into it.
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two?I think Rick Riessen is the most recent forum member to do so.

saeman
06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Steve: I have owned 4350's for quite a while and they have always been a favorite. Since they're not too living room friendly I'm a big admirer of the 4343 and 4345 too. Many will argue the attributes of the system but it is in fact the best JBL had to offer at the time. To own a pair in a home environment is a tough sell to some of the wives but we do what we have to do to enjoy the hobby.

I have also owned the 4350B and in comparison to the 4350 I would say that they had a better low end with the ferrite magged woofers. Many will agree that the 2231H/2235H is a better performer than it's alnico counterpart the 2231A. Some say they can hear no difference. We sometimes hear what we want to hear - yes?

My recent venture into 4355's came as a conversion from alnico woofers to ferrite in custom cabinets that I built; changing 2231A's and 2202A to 2235H and 2202H. I also changed the 2440's to 2441, a known better performer in the mid range area. They currently have titanium diaphragms and after talking with Giskard I intend to eventually have them Aquaplas coated. This has been a fun project and I have heard improvements with the component changeouts. The next step is as Giskard mentioned - charge coupled x-overs and they are in the works. Nothing happens overnight and I am like a kid waiting for x-mas when it comes to my JBL's. They will soon be in the cabinets and I expect there will be a noticeable difference - there should be considering the use of high grade modern components and state of the art filter technology.

I will let you know how they sound in the near future. Rick

steveh
06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Ok, first off, thank you for the responses. Giskard, I did not mean for my question to sound as though it came from the bowels of idiocy. I have been contemplating such an update for quite some time and am now at the point where I need to do the business or get off the pot. I have had my 4350B's for quite some time and have acquired all NIB 2441's, 2235's, 2202's and 2405's. I also have been lucky enough to acquire a pair of Widget's beautiful horns for the 2441's, in walnut. My primary reservation in going forward is; will the six ducts in the 4350's suffice for the upgrade, as the 4355 has one large duct, and quite frankly the most challenging, the question of networks. I have a pair of NOS 3107's but am not comfortable in my ability to construct a pair of the charge coupled 3155's that I have followed in some of your (and Rick's) previous posts. Now having said all of this (1) Rick, I sent you a PM after exchanging a couple of messages with Giskard with regards to crossovers. And (2) I really appreciate any suggestions/guidance that can be offered.

Aside from the technical aspect of all of this, I am aware of the size and space requirements for the 4350/4355 series. I have been constructing a new home with a room designed for these. As a matter of fact, I am rebuilding my newly constructed home, as late last year, Wilma decided that she needed to kick the sh_ _ out of my newly constructed house. As this post would indicate, I am now ready to go forward with my project and hopefully be able to blow future hurricanes away with the big bad upgraded 4350's. I would really appreciate any guidance.

Thank You,
Steve

Mr. Widget
06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
1) I would do whatever it takes to get the 3155 networks. Stock JBL or suped up and charge coupled, either way they will give you better performance than the 3107.

2) I don't think you have to be all that concerned about the dual large ports vs. the 6 smaller ports. Assuming they are tuned correctly either will provide you with excellent results.

3) I think you should consider moving. The likelihood of you being visited by another powerful hurricane in the next decade is pretty high.

Widget

saeman
06-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Steve: If you do the math you'll find that the three 3" ports provided on each side of the 4350/4350B baffle are very near the same area as the single 5 3/8" port provided on each side of the 4355. Duct tube length for the 4350/4350B is 12" each. The tube length for the larger 4355 port tube is a bit longer. It is also angled (kind of dogleg shaped) and points down to each rear corner. I would guess that it is angled to allow a longer tube without hitting the back of the cabinet. I can hopefully get you the exact dimensions if you need them. As Widget said, the porting is so similar that it's not the major issue.

The x-over are the key for improving your 4350B's (since you acknowledged already having the necessary new 4355 vintage components). I have been working with Giskard on this project since I do not have the experience in design to do it on my own. I do not have this particular schematic or I could share it with you. It's my understanding that the new x-overs are a design worked out by Giskard and G. Timbers. Also Widget has some experience with them.

When my system is done you're welcome to have a listen if it will help you make your decision.

Regards - Rick

Triumph Don
06-05-2006, 10:02 PM
On a personal note of your expert opions so far: the real deal. And designing the house around 435? whatevers, well, thats great! Hope you can pull it off. I just came into a little windfall, and I could talk Rick into a 4350 project [yes I have tried the new Triumph ST my RS is only 13,000 miles young] but after Giskard's reconed 2235H's were installed in my 4343's [with my new Crown K1] there are so many rattles in my old castle that have turned up, I might need professional help just to quiet the whole place! But, when that's done...