PDA

View Full Version : comparing and shopping 250s

opimax
06-01-2006, 06:34 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase some 250s the originals I believe. I would like to know how many different 250s were made. I believe there are just 2 official models, origianls and Tis. I thought I read somewhere that within those 2 models there was enough signifigant difference to look for when purchasing.

If the differeces are real enough can the models be upgraded?

Is there anything to specifically check on the speakers when purchasing?

I have decided to go JBL from Dahlquist after hearing my brothers L7s , 5s and 505 home theater set up I assembled and installed last weekend. I am assuming that I willll prefer the 250s to the l7s since i have never heard them only read about them. the 7s had more warmth, bass and treble then my DQs, and effeciancy. I know I like their appearence, shape and the taller the better :applaud:

Also, If anybody has some 250s within a 4 hours drive of DC and would let me audition (or possibly sell)I would be very grateful

Mark

10 Watt Street
06-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Currently there is a nice pair of JBL L250 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9732077881

The L250 brochure is here:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1982-l250-b460.htm

The 250Ti brochure is here:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1984-ti.htm

The 250Ti Limited Edition brochure is here:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1990-250ti.htm

opimax
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I am watching the ebay auction. Do you have any personal opinions or observations?

Mark

opimax
06-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I am looking at some "standard" 250 TIs :applaud:. There is a dented dust cap in the mid woofer and a dimple in the mid tweeter. the dust cap doesn't really bother me but on a picture that is out of focus I can't see any dimple on tweeter. If the dimple is the cone I would want to replace it at some point, extremely small or not. Are there new replacement mid tweeters available? what about repairing/reconing? Would it be adviseable to replace/redo as a matched set on both when done? and of course any pricing info on repair/replacement.

Are there any recomended mods for these speakers aside from Xover work(charge coupling)? :bouncy:

Thanks

Mark

4313B
06-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Are there any recomended mods for these speakers aside from Xover work(charge coupling)? :bouncy:Besides a bit of aquaplas on the 044Ti to remove the "zing" I know of no other mods. Bi-amping with a DX-1 perhaps. You might ask member jims what he thinks. He has one pair of stock 250Ti's and one pair of charge-coupled 250Ti's. He and his wife have A/B'd them and can comment accordingly if they so desire.

Are there new replacement mid tweeters available? what about repairing/reconing?I am completely booked up so someone else will have to help you there.

opimax
06-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks so much for responding! I am waiting to hear from him any minute I hope on where this dimple is located, on the cap they will be mine!! on the cone now i am not sure....

In an older thread from 6/03 for the upgrade to TI David wrote

Craig, I have to say it knowing you will find out eventually. The 104H-2 and the 104H-3 are not equivalent to the 104H used in all the Ti models. They are fine models, nevertheless, but just not the original poly cone model. The 104H drivers are available from Harmon at about $120.00 each with shipping.

I won't stop this deal for $120 so if it is still available or if at some point I wanted to take it to an official JBL repair location they would be able to repair it for slightly near that price.

Bi-amping is a possibilty, I currently have 2 gfa 555 adcoms, either bridged or bi-amped works. To start they will be bridged and crossed at 40 to a Velodyne sub, emphasising to start because this is what I have now...:D

I have not finished reading about charge coupling so I won't ask too much until I read up. From the comments that same thread I am sure it is something to be done...

Mark

opimax
06-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Sold!!!:applaud: 250 TIs and 120 TIs

Road trip to Tenn!! On the way home they will probably vist some L7s (and L5s)I set up last week, I hope to A-B them for reference,

I am so excited!!

I hope they have a little better bass response then my Pro IIIs, lol

Mark

opimax
06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Does it matter if the speakers are standing up, laying down or a special orientation when driving long distance? I would think standing up??

Are there any special considerations that may not be obvious to myself especially this is my first time more then 10 miles and such large beasts.

Thanks

Mark

Don C
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Standing up, it might be tough to keep them from tipping over. I lay them on their backs.

Triumph Don
06-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Good score!! Send some pics with your first listening experience!

opimax
06-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Back of my Baja truck, standing up, would be tied in place. if it does not matter that much to the speakers whatever fits the best...
Thanks
Mark

johnaec
06-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Back of my Baja truck, standing up, would be tied in place. if it does not matter that much to the speakers whatever fits the best...
Thanks
MarkBe sure to put a piece of cardboard or something over the speakers to keep the wind from blowing the cones in and out!

John

opimax
06-06-2006, 09:07 AM
thanks,

I was thinking of at least plastic bags then tying cardboard around them, blankets, and facing rearward

Mark