PDA

View Full Version : LE14A

jan_slagman
05-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Hello JBL experts,

On Ebay Germany someone from Salzburg offers a pair of JBL Dorians. He proudly claims the suspension of the woofer is very hard. Do i have to consider that as a positive or a bad remark ? The woofer has a so called Lansaloy suspension. (dirty white coloured and original). I think there has been a thread in this forum describing a treatment with brakefuel to soften the Lansaloy ring ?. Is that correct ? Can a LE14A loudspeaker still be serviced by JBL? What do you guys think about the sound produced by a pair of Dorians ? (LE14A, 175 DLH, LX10). What is the difference between a Dorian and a Lancer 101 ? I am using a pair of the latest version of JBL 4312 A Control Monitors now. This year i go on vacation in the Salzburg area (20 kilometers from Salzburg) and when winning the auction the seller can deliver the Dorians at my hotel where i can pickup the speakers later this summer.
Please JBL connoisseurs let me have your valuable comments in this matter.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
The Netherlands.

Zilch
05-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Old LE14A's typically play well after refoaming; I've never tried the brake fluid approach, which is said to be only a temporary fix. Why risk contaminating the cone with that such that refoam becomes not an option?

LE14A's are plentiful, and I would not pay big money for Dorians to get a pair. The best performance option is a full recone, of course, and kits are once again available (LE14H-1), albeit briefly, perhaps.

However, you can buy new LE14H-3's for not much more than you'd have invested in LE14A's by the time you are done reconing them, so refoam is probably the place to stop.

C56 Dorian was available with a variety of system loads, including the S1 you describe, same as Lancer 101. That was an entry-level compression driver two-way combination, and notwithstanding the amount of money 175/DLH's command of late, that's about how they perform....