PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Superdome Sound System

josh
05-28-2006, 07:46 AM
The A/V company I work for has won the bid to repair/replace the sound and video system in the Superdome. Between Hurricane Katrina and vandalists, the place is a mess. I am curious if anyone knows who the original Sound Contractor that installed the original sound system in the mid 70's was and what the original system was comprised of. I know the current Sound system has been through a few renovations over the years but still has some of the original speakers installed today. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

moldyoldy
05-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi, Josh,
Your best source of info would likely be the 'Dome's architect firm, who likely has archived the original plans and specifications, as well as submittal data from the original sound contractor detailing the original equipment that was approved for use. Under the circumstances, I think most firms would readily cooperate, and probably are already involved with similar activities for others. Ideally, such activity would be coordinated (and paid for) by the Owner. Bits and pieces of incomplete or undocumented info obtained otherwise would likely be more a detriment than an aid.

moldyoldy
05-28-2006, 12:56 PM
There is an AES paper that could also be of help as a reliable info source;

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=2605

It appears that Bose had a hand in the redesign of a remodel/renovation of the system........:blink:

CONVERGENCE
05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi Josh.
If you ever consider going from scratch. Have a look at this.

http://www.tr.ca/2006/english/products/enclosures/stadium.htm

.................................................. ................................

josh
05-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. Unfortunately though, the bid specs call for repair of the sound and video system. Not replace. All of the equipment is to be repaired or replaced as approved by FEMA.
So far, the plans we have found do not show a sound contractor for the original install in the 70's. I am just curious what the original sound system was comprised of and who the installer was at the time.
I appreciate any input.

Thanks
Josh

moldyoldy
05-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Do they want it repaired as it was most recently, or as original equivalent. It appears to have undergone signifigant rework and modification from original. (ala Bose and maybe others)

For the original system, I'll bet everything you want is in the AES paper I linked to. Yeah, it's $20, but it'll be complete and accurate, which you probably can't say about anything you'll get for free. You might also try googling the paper's author and title, sometimes authors host their works on their own free sites.

If FEMA's footing the bill, I'd be extremely cautious about tying up any of my own money in the job, they've put major $ in limbo for other jobs down there, claiming they had insufficient or falsified documentation. Maybe so, maybe not......

CONVERGENCE
05-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi Josh,

I found the answer your looking for.
The original sound system was designed by Altec Lansing.

Please see photo . On this Altec page one can see the Super Dome And the screen system and a view of the interior of a second stadium that of TheOlympic Stadium Canada.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1978-pro/page01.jpg

.................................................. ......................

remusr
05-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Josh - my quick internet search found Dome's current Bose/Crest/Altec audio system stats at following link(see page 30 of 64):
http://www.superdome.com/uploads/FacilitiesGuide.pdf
PS - seems odd that you would not have this info if you won the bid to work on it, are in touch with superdome ownership or know how to use the internet.

CONVERGENCE
05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
What Josh is looking for is "PRE BOSE SOUND " equipment before 1996.

The company that installed the first sound system in 1976 is ALTEC LANSING.Bose instaled the replacement in 1996.

See Article by Times.

Bose Corp's Auditioner system combines information about materials and measurements of room to replicate existing sound, and then forecast how sound might be altered by changing certain acoustical feature; diagrams explaining computer mapping of size and sound of structure; system has been used to improve acoustics in Nassau Coliseum, Sistine Chapel, European Parliament building and other public spaces; latest high-profile job is revamping of sound system at Louisiana Super Dome
September 2, 1996

As for the Original Contractor . You will have to look into the archives in Louisiana. Probably not in business anny more.

What Altec used to do with a 360 degree 70,000 seater Stadium is fly 2 A5 above each section at different angles and height.You could have as much as 90 A5 flown at an angle covering the 360 degree circle.

The other technique in Ice Rinks forums was to put evrything in the center
by using 817 cabinets and huge horns.

If you need more detail info ;perhaps ask the same question on the other site .A former employee with Altec will remember.

Most of these huge projects were done with the help of the mother company.

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729

.................................................. ............................................

remusr
05-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Converg - the link lists what Altec stuff remained in use pre-hurricane as well as the new Bose that was installed replacing the original Altec coverage in the larger arena space. I would think it irrelevent what that was as it is gonzo.

CONVERGENCE
05-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi,

Josh quoted

" I am curious if anyone knows who the original Sound Contractor that installed the original sound system in the mid 70's was and what the original system was comprised of."

I have no idea why he want's that info. Perhaps he suspects the BOSE might be more damaged than what the inspectors thought.

Retrofitting with ALTEC 817 and Mantaray Horns is possible and feasable.

You don't need more than 150 watts per woofer and 70 watts per HF driver. The proof is that the retrofit of a similar stadium was done using efficient drivers and can be used in tandem with 1/2 time football show . The system has verry long throw capability.

.................................................. ............................................

josh
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the new info. I will ask the same question on the other forum.
The reason I am asking is mainly curiosity. We are repairing both the old Altec Circumferential and Bose LT systems. The Altec is the backup system. We are replacing the drivers in all of the cabinets. What speakers did not get wet from the roof damage were subject to high humidity and who knows what else.
I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Josh

CONVERGENCE
06-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi Josh,

Quite a task.You really have no choice with water damage. As for Altec drivers Great Plains Audio does all the repairs and replacement with original parts. Bill Hanushak was working for them and when they closed he bought all the equipment to manufacture same speakers.During his years at Altec ,He was loudspeaker production Engineer ,an acoustic design technician,and finally ended up the only in-house acoustic
engineer.

Here is the Web Site.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

.................................................. ...........................

josh
06-10-2006, 07:25 PM
That is probably what we will be doing. We have already had Ira Rostampour from Ira Tec Pro Audio do a report on the Altec Incremental amps and other electronics. Thank God for Ira and Bill helping to preserve the old Altec products.

Thanks
Josh