PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with these?

Ken Pachkowsky
05-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know the brand name of these. It appears to be 4.0uf +-10% 150V DC film cap of some type. Date code Nov/89?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

John
05-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi Ken do not know anything about that cap, but looks like you bought a new "Camera" :applaud: It's about time:bouncy: Nice picture;)

Ken Pachkowsky
05-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi Ken do not know anything about that cap, but looks like you bought a new "Camera" :applaud: It's about time:bouncy: Nice picture;)

Yes, smart ass:)

Ken

Rudy Kleimann
05-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Is there a need for that brand only, or are you just wanting to match the type? To me, brand seems unimportant, but :dont-know what you think...

IMHO, the type is the only important thing, and probably not all that critical -unless it is in the analog audio path of a high-end piece of gear; then I'd say it's probably not all that important as long as you use high-grade caps and change the mate in the other channel. Offhand I'd say it looks like a polypropylene or polystyrene cap.

BTW, the "date code" is yrwk; i.e. 1989, 11th week, ~3rd week of March. And, 4 uF or microfarad, 150 volt. You can use a cap with a higher breakdown voltage rating if you can't find a 150 volt replacement, although it will be physically larger. Just check dimensions and lead configuration: axial, like the one pictured, or radial, meaning both leads on the same end, for PC board mounting standing up.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Is there a need for that brand only, or are you just wanting to match the type? To me, brand seems unimportant, but :dont-know what you think...

Thanks Rudy, appreciate the reply and clarification. They are in a preamp.

Ken

Rudy Kleimann
05-27-2006, 08:04 PM
That's a mighty high voltage rating for in a preamp, unless it's in the power supply or the preamp has tube circuitry. What's the brand/model?

Ken Pachkowsky
05-27-2006, 08:18 PM
That's a mighty high voltage rating for in a preamp, unless it's in the power supply or the preamp has tube circuitry. What's the brand/model?

They are in a Musical Concepts modified Hafler 110. It has dual power supplies and revision MC-3 mods.

I was just curious about the brand of caps. It uses all Roderstein Electrolytics combined with Blackgates.

Also some Wima caps.

Pretty nice sounding preamp but not in the same league as the Perreaux or Tad 150.

Has anyone used these before?

V-Cap

mech986
05-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Ken,

(started my post 20 minutes ago so is a little redundant)

Without pulling out my old unit, I'll venture that the preamp you're talking about is the Musical Concepts modified Hafler DH-110 that you mentioned belonged to your brother. I suspected this because I can see some transistors mounted on the background board (1 free and 1 with a heatsink) and the cap in question looks like its mounted on an add-on board for the power supply with mil-spec resistors.

I also suspect the Mus-Con caps represent selected caps made for Musical Concepts. With an '89 production date, I'd have to agree that they are likely metallized polypropylene or propylene foil. Polycarbonate could also come in that size. Typical mylar or metallized mylar caps would likely be a bit smaller. Do you think the preamp is giving the noise trouble you mentioned in another thread?

Here's their current website page on components:
http://www.musicaldesign.com/componen.htm

I think that particular cap has been superceded many times by now.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bart

Ian Mackenzie
05-27-2006, 08:31 PM
V Expensive boutique caps...way over the top off the Hafler..

Stop messing with Junk!

So what camera is it Ken?

A shot of "other" Westies would be cool.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Ken,

(started my post 20 minutes ago so is a little redundant)

Bart

Sorry about that Bart, I should have mentioned it was a Musical Concepts modified pre.

No its not what my brother is using. Its another pre I had laying around. I bought a wack of stuff before leaving the USA.

Ian, I picked up several of the V-Caps from the manufacturer a couple of months ago. Have not used them but I hear good things?

That avatar looks great.

PS: I promise I won't play with crap any more:D

PSS: The Camera is a Nikon D200

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
05-27-2006, 08:50 PM
A shot of "other" Westies would be cool.

I will post photos when they are refinished.

Ken

norealtalent
05-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I will post photos when they are refinished.

Ken

I hope pics aren't nearly as tedious as the shipping!!! :D

John
05-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Nikon D200 "WOW" very nice, on par with the rest of your system:applaud:

I am expecting top notch pic's from now on?:D

Guido
05-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Ken

Could bet it's a Canon Powershot A400 ;)

Anyway, post some Westies pics soon :bouncy:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Could bet it's a Canon Powershot A400 ;)

I do have one of those as well.

Ken

John Y.
06-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Ken

And, what lens are you using for your close-ups? I am about to order a D200 to use with my array of earlier Nikon lenses, but I am also thinking of a good general purpose zoom to go along with it.

John y.