PDA

View Full Version : capcitor in the dividing network

eric g
05-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi
The filters of L series are designed with mylar main capacitors and in // a small polyethylen capacitor of small value (0.01 µF).
Did you think that it will be an improvement to use new Polyethylène or paper oil capacitors?
In the same way is it an improvement to use new oxygen free wiring cables.
Eric g

Zilch
05-27-2006, 09:40 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3555

eric g
05-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Many thanks Zilch.

Regarding the exchange of old capacitors by using polyethylene or paper oil (on medium and tweeter) did somebody have experience on that, same for rewiring the interna cabling by OFC cable?
Eric g

MJC
05-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Many thanks Zilch.

Regarding the exchange of old capacitors by using polyethylene or paper oil (on medium and tweeter) did somebody have experience on that, same for rewiring the interna cabling by OFC cable?
Eric g
When I was transforming my L212 system from a stereo to multi-channel system I originally built xovers using Polypropylene bypass caps along with JBL's standard caps. The result was a more dynamic sound.
After completing the 7 channel system, I then built two new xovers for the main L/R speakers, using only Solen polyproplene caps, in a charge-coupled network. The resulting sound is nothing short of spectacular! Smoother, with no distortion produced from the caps, as would be in a standard xover.

eric g
06-04-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks to MJC,
I have a pair of L50 and I will do a new network with new capacitors. I will probably use oil+paper capacitors or poly pro for midrange and will try tin capacitors for the tweeter.

I will keep alive the "old" dividing network in order to be able to restore the original L50.
Eric