PDA

View Full Version : FLASHBACK....

moldyoldy
05-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Flashback........whoa, dude.......

Here lately, I've been going through some old boxes of stuff I saved from my folks' place. Naturally, there are a lot of good memories evoked, several of which remind me of things that helped form my passion for audio and music. I'll share a couple of those, and would like to hear some of yours.

I remember the big voice of the old theater in town. I'd close my eyes and just listen sometimes....... old Disney stuff.....

Mom had a bulky old phono, and played Glen Miller sometimes.......remember Mitch Miller on TV...

I was the class A/V geek from the 4th grade on, at one time I was the only one in school that could thread that old RCA portable......

My brother and I had an old, tube, mil-surplus shortwave. We were certain we picked up Russky spies.......

Our first home stereo was in an old Thomas tube organ. Real stereo, phono in one end, 12" 2-way, actually sounded good. Listened to Woodstock on headphones ' cause the folks wouldn't have approved.

What really prompted me to start all this was seeing the remnants of a Laffayette SS kit amp I built and screwed to a board at 16. At home, it powered the 4 Magnavox speakers I'd stripped from our B&W TV when it died, and mounted in the ceiling of my bedroom. At school, I'd found 6 old Altec duplexes mounted in the cieling of the gym, but abandoned for no apparent reason. I crawled around in the rockwooled attic, rewired them to bypass the line xfmrs, and cleaned the dirt and dobbers from the top of the cones. Hooked 'em all up to that little 30WPC amp. I got to "DJ" that years Sr prom. Someone had spiked the Principal's punch pretty heavily with orange feen-a-mint. The dance was going great, and I put on Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein". When that spacy synth solo that sounded like a UFO landing came on, I cranked it, and the Principal made a simultaneous and hasty exit. For some strange reason, I got implicated in that whole mess......