PDA

View Full Version : Studio Series Exposed

Rusnzha
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I finally got hold of a camera and took pictures of some of my studio series drivers. The pictures are in order the 1" dome tweeter from the S38 (front and side), the 8" woofer also from the S38s (back, front and side), the 12" woofer from the S412s (side, front and back) and the 6.5" midrange speakers out of the S412s (side and front) . The 4" mid range in the S38 had a stamped frame, but it was too much trouble getting it out of any of the speakers so I couldn't capture those for this posting. This is the first time I've tried to do this so I hope this works out as intended.

Rusnzha
05-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Here's some more

johnaec
05-24-2006, 05:42 AM
Those drivers actually look quite nice! I truly believe JBL made a huge marketing mistake by coloring those cones silver and "copper". I think it was too much a departure for most people, and that if they'd used normal black colored cones, they would have been far more successful. The colored cones just convey a "plastic" image to most people, regardless of how good they actually are.

John

Valentin
05-24-2006, 07:47 AM
on the spot Johnaec
cast frames good contruction grate sound and a cheap looking cone

one littel mistake

Tweak48
05-24-2006, 02:56 PM
The S-38 is a fabulous sounding speaker. Even the snooty Stereo Review condescendingly admitted it sounded pretty good, in a back-handed sort of way.

BTW I thought the copper cones looked cool, but probably not to the Sonus Faber crowd.

trueview
05-24-2006, 03:06 PM
looks better than I would have guessed...
but the casting still looks a bit plastic to me...is it?

Tom Loizeaux
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
It's become a common problem that company directors, or boards, give the marketing people more power then the engineers.
When will they ever learn?

Tom

Rusnzha
05-24-2006, 06:09 PM
looks better than I would have guessed...
but the casting still looks a bit plastic to me...is it?
When you pick up the 12" woofer, it is obvious you could use it to build up your muscles. There is no doubt that the frames are made completely of cast aluminum. I prefer the black paint jobs on the older 12" woofer, but I don't need to look at it, I just listen to 'em. Another fact about these is that they went to a 2 inch voice coil. They cut some corners on these and they ain't as pretty as the older stuff, but everything about these from the drivers to the boxes to the crossovers is very solidly built. My surround setup (see below) with the S series speakers kicks ass!