PDA

View Full Version : JBL D130F speaker cone question

BluesForDan
05-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Hello all, first time poster here, but long time forum user all over the internet.

I've got a grey frame JBL D130F that I repatriated from Germany. The serial number is 9845 and the speaker cone has the number 58057 in white ink.

I would like to make sure this is an original cone, and if possible, what year, never mind what model amp, it is from.

I've finally determined from reading here that evven though the label says '8ohm/16ohm' that it is an 8 ohm speaker.

I tried searching for a speaker code key, but somebody said it was lost in the earthquake?:blink:

thanks in advance,

Dan the man

edgewound
05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Post a pic and we'll try to figger it out.

BluesForDan
05-25-2006, 11:17 AM
I will when my picture server is back up and running, its been down 3 days now. Any particular perspectives that are useful?

thanks

GordonW
05-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Just an overall front, an overall rear, and a close-up of any numbers (frame and cone)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Zilch
05-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Actually, we'd prefer if you uploaded them directly here, so they will remain visible "en perpetuity." :D

Use "Manage Attachments" from the post editing page to do it.

GordonW
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Actually, we'd prefer if you uploaded them directly here, so they will remain visible "en perpetuity." :D

Use "Manage Attachments" from the post editing page to do it.

True dat. :D

Regards,
Gordon.

BluesForDan
05-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I'll try uploading the pics, I hope they are not too big.

Where would I find the frame number(s)?

*oops* too big. I'm not a imaging guru by any stretch of the imagination. G5 mac, safari, no photoshop. Any suggestions?

Zilch
05-28-2006, 11:05 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=817

johnaec
05-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Email them to me and I'll resize and post them.

John

BluesForDan
05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
pics sent. thanks.:wave:

johnaec
05-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Dan's Pics:

GordonW
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
My guess is that it's been reconed, from the glue around the dustcap and the slightly crooked gasket. Can't say for sure, but that's my hunch...

Regards,
Gordon.

edgewound
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
That has definitely been reconed with a JBL recone kit....most likely an E-130 kit.:)

BluesForDan
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
thank you very much for the help, although it was not anticipated that this wasn't what I thought it was. Or I should say, what I was lead to believe it to be. It was sold to me to be an original cone JBL D130F. It could be the guy selling it thought it was original, he took it out of an old fender amp.

So now its a recone, with an E130 kit. What is it worth now? I'm almost afraid to ask, since I'm likely taking a bath on it as it is. I've got somebody interested, and I want to tell him straight up what it is.

BluesForDan
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
...the slightly crooked gasket....

is that (gasket) the cork part?

Harvey Gerst
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
thank you very much for the help, although it was not anticipated that this wasn't what I thought it was. Or I should say, what I was lead to believe it to be. It was sold to me to be an original cone JBL D130F. It could be the guy selling it thought it was original, he took it out of an old fender amp.

So now its a recone, with an E130 kit. What is it worth now? I'm almost afraid to ask, since I'm likely taking a bath on it as it is. I've got somebody interested, and I want to tell him straight up what it is.
It's absolutely a recone job, using a JBL recone kit, but it sure as hell wasn't done by JBL. In the old days, anyone at the factory doing that bad a job would be taken out and tied to the railroad tracks behind the building.

I'm 100% with edgewound on this; it's a JBL recone kit, probably an E-130. The rubber/cork compound gasket looks right, just very badly put on.

BluesForDan
05-31-2006, 07:26 AM
from what I can glean from ebay, 125-150 for a reconed D130F sound about right?

edgewound
05-31-2006, 09:32 AM

Hey Dan...

FWIW....as long as the speaker works right...clean...it's a better driver than when it was born. It is JBL parts and an upgrade at that..although cosmetics should be alot better. Any thing is worth what someone is willing to pay. With that said it should be worth around $150.00 give or take a few. A new recone costs $194.00. Yours looks to be in decent condition...not pristine but if it sounds good...it is fine. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Maybe the guy you got it from considered that it had JBL parts, it was original and not aftermarket.