PDA

View Full Version : Who am I?

Ian Mackenzie
05-20-2006, 08:09 PM
I have recently changed my avatar. Please note the picture is not that of the author.

Who am I? .............. .....................

If you can guess it I will offer an fantastic prize as a diy offering to the 1st correct answer.I will post a larger image later on.

A tip. This individual is a Living Legend in the Audio community

Ian

TimG
05-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Is that Drew Daniels?

Ian Mackenzie
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Tim,

Sorry no. But there is no limit on posts.

Lets just say his first company spawned what became the hi end of .................

scott fitlin
05-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Mark Levinson.

Ian Mackenzie
05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey Scotty,

You are warm...

Another tip.
_ _ _ _ _ _ and Mark worked together and later Mark went off and did his own thing as did Joe (Krell digital).

Another tip.

His first job was at ESS.

DavidF
05-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Thinking of your predilection Pass Labs that almost has to be Nelson. Did not know that he was with ESS but was a founder at Threshold. Looks like his nose, too.

DavidF

Charlie4350
05-20-2006, 09:44 PM
John Curl

Ian Mackenzie
05-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Thinking of your predilection Pass Labs that almost has to be Nelson. Did not know that he was with ESS but was a founder at Threshold. Looks like his nose, too.

DavidF

You are correct and the winner of an assembled Passlabs Aleph 3 diy driver board set (C/- diyaudio.com) and a bunch of matched parts that will make an ace diy amp project that is easy to get going!

The Aleph 3 (30+30 watts) is/was regarded and reviewed by many as one of the best power amplifers ever and the equal of many golden ear valve amps. The design can be scaled to any practical power level. The Aleph 3 is ideal for biamping a two way JBL horn system and would not be out of place in any system with reasonably efficient loudspeakers. The Aleph 3 was popular during its production with many wealthy apartment dwellers in NY.

As a matter interest Nelson Pass recently posted a thread on diyaudio.com with a lot of history and pics of his passion.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78749

David, I will send you a pm with the details of the kit early next week.

I still remember building the Aleph 3 ..my first diy Pass amp and the emails from Np assisting me with my project. Nelson is not only a very clever fellow but a wonderful person in real life.

regards

Ian

Chas
05-20-2006, 10:29 PM
After 30+ years reading TAA, etc...I have to admit that there is nobody that can write an article about SS audio electronics like Nelson. He is a brilliant audio engineer and author. The sanity and just plain common sense he speaks of, is unequalled.

Now, when we're talkin' JBL, Giskard cuts through the crap and talks my language..:p

Ian Mackenzie
05-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Perhaps some of you guys might be inspired to write up a Diy JBL article and send it to TAA.

..the L250Ti re visited or what ever.

loach71
05-21-2006, 07:33 AM
YAY!

northwood
06-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Ian u own me a pic,:)