PDA

View Full Version : Listenin' to 4430's...

johnaec
05-20-2006, 03:21 PM
OK - 'cat's out of the bag. I picked up the pair of 4430's Oznob had for sale. He dropped them off today, and we spent some time listening and comparing them with the XPL200A's and 4315A's.

The listening environment is less than perfect - I've got a long wall with all the speakers lined up on it, (see the first pic below). But it was still plenty to make a decent comparison.

Right away, the 4430's seemed to be flatest response of all the systems at default settings. I ran RTA curves on a DBX DriveRack 260 demonstrating this, but didn't do a screengrab. But I did then EQ them for actual flat, and the second picture shows the curve required for this. Conditions were less than optimal - I didn't bother lining everything up or measuring distances or SPL - this was just quick and for fun.

Compared to the XPL's and 4315's, the 4430's seemed to deliver a noticeably flatter sound, and the sound stage was pretty good, other than the fact they were positioned at the outsides of the lineup. I'm really impressed with how well they sound! After liistening to the XPL's and 4315's for the last few months, I was prepared for somewhat of a letdown with the 4430's, but experienced the opposite. I really like them! I do have to say I haven't implemented the DX-1 into the XPL setup yet, though it looks like I might finally be getting my hands on some JBL amps for an objective listen.

The third pic shows my "engineering station", with a laptop runing the DR-260, and the last pic is of Oznob, (Mark). Thanks again, Mark, for bringing these all the way down!

I'll post more in upcoming days, after I've set up reference curves for the XPL's and 4315's, so I can really compare them.

John

Zilch
05-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Be VERY careful, John ...

:hyp: :hyp: :hyp:

4430's are a CULT!!

:p

[That's really FUN stuff you're doin' there.... :bouncy: ]

johnaec
05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
[That's really FUN stuff you're doin' there.... :bouncy: ]Yeah, it is! Here's a pic of the left channel - 'shows the relative sizes a little better. (Excuse the mess - it's a bachelor pad...)

Now - out to the shop for more work on the mini's... ;)

John

oznob
05-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey John,
I am VERY glad you are liking the 4430's! It is so nice knowing they went to someone who can really appreciate them! Thanks for posting the flatering picture!:p Next time, try and get my good side, it's the back of my head!:yes:
Seriously, thanks for the hospitality and the listenin' session, I really enjoyed it! Oh, I guess I'll have to change my avatar, maybe an XPL200 would look good???:hmm:

johnaec
05-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh, I guess I'll have to change my avatar, maybe an XPL200 would look good???:hmm:I'll keep my eyes/mind open... :)

John

johnaec
05-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Wow! 'Had to say I just got done listening to Little Feat's "Let it Roll" album, cranked, with the flat EQ settings - 'something else!! After listening to 12's for so long, I can't believe how nice the 2235's sound when they've been EQ'd to take care of room resonances! And the bi-radials are also really sweet! Maybe I'm just easy to please, but they're sure sounding good to me! :bouncy:

John

Robh3606
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe I'm just easy to please, but they're sure sounding good to me! :bouncy:

Isn't that a fun album! I really like it on my rig as well. Your not easy to please just know when you have something good. Zilch is right it is a cult. Just don't drink the punch.

Rob:)

SUPERBEE
05-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Those look great!

I am not seeing any tube amps or turntables???

:blink:

johnaec
05-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Those look great!

I am not seeing any tube amps or turntables???

:blink:Boy, would that be a contrast - running a turntable and tube amp through my digital EQ/processor. :p

Nope - I can't afford to learn all about tube audio, and most CD's sound pretty good to me. 'Don't feel like learning and paying for another hobby right now...

John