PDA

View Full Version : Need help for purchase components

sonocite
05-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Hi,

I would build high quality enclosures for home use and club use.

I 've the opportunity to buy a pair of MR902 (complete) and a pair of Mantaray horns without drivers.
And my questions are :
1/ What is the best choise for the use I want to do
2/ What are the drivers which match Mantaray
3/ What woofers are recommanded to use with the two different horns ?
Thank you very much for your help

spkrman57
05-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Here is one page I found with search that shows other Mantaray horns.

Does it look like any of them?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1983-pro-short/page2.jpg

Hope this helps!

Ron

moldyoldy
05-17-2006, 04:13 PM
An MR902 is a 16 ohm 902 driver mounted on the same small MR horn as used in the late 604 duplexes. Don't remember exactly, but the LF cutoff is around 1800Hz. CD EQ not required, but helps max extension.

sonocite
05-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Does anybody know what is the better choice ?
And MR902 must be matched with 16 ohms woofer absolutely or not ?
I think the two Mantaray and Mr902 are good choice but
I cannot decide on that which I will buy. I do not know which woofer can agree with one or the other. Any idea ? And what is the newest between them ? Thanks

moldyoldy
05-18-2006, 10:06 AM
We need to know which model MantaRay horns you're looking at to make a recommendation.

Also, are you intending to make a 3-way system with an active crossover?

Need more details of what you have in mind to be able to help.

sonocite
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Mantaray MR II 5124
These are some specifications of the Mantaray :
Visible low frecuency limit: 500Hz
Throat : 1'4 inch
Construction- Polyester fiberglass.
Standard color- Gray
H (12'8 inch) x W (24,3 inch) x D (12,5 inch).
Weight: 5 lb

I intend to build a two ways system with passive cross-over, and I want a high quality non-agressive sound but with very good dynamic and relative high power level with a medium-powered amplifier (cause I want to drive them with a tube amplifier - 2 x 40 w rms )
Thanks

moldyoldy
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, those MRII-5124s in a 2-way setup would need either 288s 291s, or 299 Altec drivers. The 288s and 291s are AlNiCos, and the 299 is the newer ferrite version. They can all be crossed at 500Hz to work with the MR horn. Since the MR horn is a constant-directivity, the XO should ideally incorporate a HF shelving circuit to compensate for the falling response. Attenuation will likely be required to match the sensitivity to any woofer. The choice of which driver is subjective, but all 3 are very good.

For Altec LF drivers, a horn-loaded 515 would be the closest match, and a pair in some 825 or 828 (A7) cabs would essentially duplicate an A5 system. If you don't have room for the horn cabs, I'd suggest a 416 in a ported 6-8 cu/ft box as a good second choice. Either setup will be very dynamic and provide high levels with your intended amp.

For easiest XO, both HF and LF components should be either 8 or 16 ohms. I wouldn't recommend the MR902s in most 2-ways, but they'd be a great addition as a 3-way.

sonocite
05-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Hi,
I thank you much for the councils.I 've an opportunity to buy two MR902 - 16 HF , the units look very fine and the price is about 325 USD (for the two units). For the Mantaray in new condition, the price is 100 USD without the drivers)
So with the MR902 I will buy the woofers + tweeter units (but I 'm wondering if 8 ohms woofers can match with the MR902 (16 ohms). And for the Mantaray I will buy the drivers and the woofers. According to what you said, the better is Mantaray ? More professionnal choice ?
I don't worry about the cabinets because in my youth :p I already built many enclosures, I just have to find schematics for them and the cross-over filters (I'm working in electronics from 27 years).
I think of selling my RAM 400 current system (after 25 years of utilisation) to be able to buy the components necessary to manufacture the altec . Do you know the RAM400 and what price do you think I can get for them ?
Regards.

garyl
06-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Since you did not set any price or size limitations here, I have to ask why you are set on the Mantaray horns?

You made it clear these would be for home and club use and you would build the cabinets.
Why not go with a combination of the 416-8 A or B Woffer, a set of 811B horns and 802-8G HF drivers.
There are a number of XOs you could match these components to and you would essentially have Velencia/Model 19s.

I don't think you could go wrong with this and with the proper port tuning and cabinet building they sure could sound right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/Gamalot/Cab13.jpg