PDA

View Full Version : LE10H-1 - Narrow-Roll Foam Surround

Zekeman
05-14-2006, 11:01 AM
While troubleshooting my bad 044 tweeter by swapping from one speaker to the other (to deteremine if the crossover is OK) I discovered what sounded like a rattle in one of the woofers. After further investigation I discovered hairline cracks in the foam surrounds along the edge of the cone. and when the woofer moved this opening and closing of the splits in the foam surround sounds like a rattle. So now I need to do a refoam job as well.

My point here is the narrow-roll foam surround design. I notice when I crank my L96's the woofer excursion is quite dramatic. Can this narrow design handle this excursion? The hairline cracks appear to be caused by this excursion...!? Will I have continual problems with these? ...I expect not as the L96's and particularly the LE10H-1 is so well regarded.

Secondly, does the black gasket at the outer-most edge of the frame (over the foam) need to be removed to refoam?

Experts please advise.

...note: the picture below is taken with the woofer lightly pushed in the forward excursion position.

Thanks.

Earl K
05-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi Zekeman

- Read this thread on "Refoaming". (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469&highlight=stepbystep)

- It's a forum classic, specifically on the subject of refoaming . ( Yes , the trim ring must first come off your le10h-1 ) . ;)

:)

Earl K
05-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Hey Bo,

- How about adding the word "Refoam" ( no quotes ) into the title of your thread on "resurrounding". It seems to me, most people come here asking ( & thinking ) about refoams / not resurrounds.
- ie ; please make the title of your classic more searchable .
- "Resurrounding" should also include DIY cutting in of new double-roll linen or paper types. I would love to see that info added to the refoaming tips that you've already provided .

Thanks

GordonW
05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
I still have a bunch of LE10 type foam surrounds... still selling them for $12.00 for a pair, plus USPS mailing ($4 for Priority Mail) or whatnot...

Regards,
Gordon.

Robh3606
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
If you decide to refoam carefully save the outer ring. It's a trim piece that you may not be able to get a replacement for.

Rob:)