PDA

View Full Version : I am happy with my new 4343 but have a Problem

Toms Studio
05-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi,

i am happy, because last week i buy two beautiful 4343. I buy from first hand complett with all. Include Garantie card with stamp from 1979. The cabinets like new but unfortunally he refoamed the 2231A and the 2121 with rubber and, how you can see in the pics, he paint the cones with a thing like lacquer.

Now the Problem: I think i can recone the 2231A with the 2235 cone Kits. Thats ok. But the 2121 lost the thin hard-rubber ring on top of the surround.
How i see in Bo's Thread -Resurround Step-by-step-, the surround-kit not incude this hard-rubber ring. Any idea where i can buy it?

Thanks from Germany.
Tom

Guido
05-13-2006, 02:17 PM
This missing ring isn't a problem at all. You do not need it.

What really is a problem is this ...shit.. the pre owner put on 2231's and 2121's cones.

I hate these "sound improvers" :barf:

Oh my God! Rubber surrounds. I know who did it. We have these guys here in Germany also.

PM me if you need professional help.

Mr. Widget
05-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Now the Problem: I think i can recone the 2231A with the 2235 cone Kits. Thats ok. But the 2121 lost the thin hard-rubber ring on top of the surround.
How i see in Bo's Thread -Resurround Step-by-step-, the surround-kit not incude this hard-rubber ring. Any idea where i can buy it?The rubber ring is a cosmetic piece and as Guido said it isn't entirely necessary. I have tried to buy these from JBL recently and I was told they are no longer available. It may be possible to get the rings for a larger woofer that used them and trim it down. I never looked into that.

Widget

John
05-13-2006, 11:51 PM
I bet they still sound fantastic???

Toms Studio
05-14-2006, 01:49 AM
I bet they still sound fantastic???

John,

its sad to say but they dont sound fantastic now. In a hearing session with my Canton Ergo 1200 the 4343 have no Chance. I think the Problem are the Rubber surrounds. I am sure after reconing they sound fantastic again. I will tell you then.

Fred Sanford
05-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Tom- nice avatar pic! Good luck restoring the new JBLs.

Cantons are another favorite of mine, I've sold a bunch to my customers over the years & loved them. I think my wife generally likes their sound better than JBLs, actually. Don't have any of the bigger towers myself, though...

je

Karat 20s
Plus Ss
Plus Ds
Plus Fs
Plus XL Centers
Patio 160s
...some others I can't remember...

Toms Studio
05-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Tom- nice avatar pic! Good luck restoring the new JBLs.

Cantons are another favorite of mine, I've sold a bunch to my customers over the years & loved them. I think my wife generally likes their sound better than JBLs, actually. Don't have any of the bigger towers myself, though...

je

Karat 20s
Plus Ss
Plus Ds
Plus Fs
Plus XL Centers
Patio 160s
...some others I can't remember...

yes Fred, Cantons are very good. My Ergo 1200 are 1,22m (4 feet) tall and they are very linear down to about 28Hz. And the cherry cabinets is what my wife like in the livingroom.

Ducatista47
05-14-2006, 11:39 AM
yes Fred, Cantons are very good. My Ergo 1200 are 1,22m (4 feet) tall and they are very linear down to about 28Hz. And the cherry cabinets is what my wife like in the livingroom.
I hear Canton's all the time. They are truely wonderful. The big Ventos are very sweet, incredible mids and highs. Being a JBL big monitor fan, I think they lack bass extension and fullness. The solution, I think - I keep telling them to biamp them!

Clark in Peoria

Toms Studio
05-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I hear Canton's all the time. They are truely wonderful. The big Ventos are very sweet, incredible mids and highs. Being a JBL big monitor fan, I think they lack bass extension and fullness. The solution, I think - I keep telling them to biamp them!

Clark in Peoria

Hey Clark, i agree - the big JBL Monitors have more bass extension. The solution... use the Cantons with a B460 sub:hmm:

Ducatista47
05-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey Clark, i agree - the big JBL Monitors have more bass extension. The solution... use the Cantons with a B460 sub:hmm:
Don't take my opinion too seriously, but you may be in the same boat. After big JBL's, especially 4345's, everything seems to lack bass extension.

I am assuming from your avatar that you are a proud owner?:) I think most of the forum drops it's collective jaw when it spots your JBL Blue collection. We have been led to believe they are scarce in Europe. I think that's because you have most of them at your place.:applaud:

Clark in Peoria

Toms Studio
05-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't take my opinion too seriously, but you may be in the same boat. After big JBL's, especially 4345's, everything seems to lack bass extension. I am assuming from your avatar that you are a proud owner?:)

Clark in Peoria

Clark, i am a true JBL Fan for more than 20 Years. I had all Models the 43xx and 44xx Serie, include 4333, 4341, 4343, 4345, 4350, 4355, 4425, 4430, 4435. But you know, sometimes the live become other preferences, so i had sell many models the last Years.
I had Tannoy DMT 215 II too (wonderful Speakers), Genelecs with 15" Subwoofer and my Cantons for the Livingroom.
What Speakers you prefer?
Tom

Ducatista47
05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Well, it is simple. I love the big JBL sound the best. I love detail but crave dynamics, so the the 4345's are my favorite speakers I have ever heard. Biamp them, put big solid state on the 2245H's and a nice little tube amp on the top, and find audio heaven. Did you see Greg Timber's (the designer's) post? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110075&postcount=27

I also have 4333's and Control 10's, and some nice JBL/UREI amps. I got rid of my other speakers. Since you have the 43xx's, did you like them better than the 44xx? I would love to know how you think they compare.

Clark in Peoria

Toms Studio
05-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Well, it is simple. I love the big JBL sound the best. I love detail but crave dynamics, so the the 4345's are my favorite speakers I have ever heard. Biamp them, put big solid state on the 2245H's and a nice little tube amp on the top, and find audio heaven. Did you see Greg Timber's (the designer's) post? http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110075&postcount=27

I also have 4333's and Control 10's, and some nice JBL/UREI amps. I got rid of my other speakers. Since you have the 43xx's, did you like them better than the 44xx? I would love to know how you think they compare.

Clark in Peoria

The Monitors 43xx sound different to the 44xx Serie. I like booth. Very important is the Room Acoustic for each Monitor. Sometimes is a small Speaker better then a big ones.