PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model Fourteen

messengerman
05-10-2006, 01:29 AM
This looks like a mini Nineteen.

Is anyone familiar with this speaker?

There is a very nice one available for sale here in Europe and wondered how it ought to sound in comparison with a Nineteen?

Certainly easier to get in the back of the car!

Ducatista47
05-10-2006, 06:47 AM
There is a pair on consignment at the local sound shop here. I am not much help as I have not heard the nineteens.

If you like JBL's, say L100's even, they sound incomplete. The representation of the high end gave me listener fatigue after about fifteen minutes. Something in the mix sounds pretty harsh, but maybe it is a crossover or eq problem, like here:http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2114 It could be that an Altec fan would get the same headache from an L300!

Clark in Peoria

CONVERGENCE
05-10-2006, 07:14 AM
:) Hi,
The Xo is the main problem it seems with the 14. Here is a quote from an owner of a 14.

"Hello, I own a pair of 14's and just acquired a pair of 15's. Been playing with the placement, dampning of the horns. When I went to a tube pre-amp for the tt only system...incredible! I loosely stuff a pair of nylons in the horn throat,and am thinking of spraying the outside surface of the manta horn body w/auto undercoating to help dampen it. Don't like the x-over, but this speaker is as flat as I've ever heard...and for only $300. Find that kind of sonic quality in all the digital speakers on the market today that can't reproduce anything but condensed, proccessed, limited range,brittle,hurt my ears,generic sound. I am a schooled musician with trained ears, perfect pitch and perfect rythm."

So Very few owners It's hard to evaluate. But Iconic Speaker Manufacturing are working on a new XO for model 14.It should be out soon.

Here is the site

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3729&t=2098

http://www.iconicspkrs.com/

.................................................. ............

Lakanta
05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi messengerman,
i own both. The format of the Model 14 is really sexy and the dimension are acceptable. The Top End goes higher than the those of the 19er but they lack of integration. The quality of the construction of the box is better, too. But.... sorry, the sound of the 19ers are far superior! By any terms. Extension, dinamics, musicality, etc. I loved to listen music with them. I think one of the serious problem of the 19ers are the size!
See the photo:

louped garouv
05-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I thought the M14s and M19s both had the 802-8G HF driver?

spkrman57
05-16-2006, 05:41 AM
I thought the M14s and M19s both had the 802-8G HF driver?

I personally prefer the 811B over the plastic horns!

Ron

GordonW
05-16-2006, 08:41 AM
WRT integration- I think the main culprit, is the limited top end capability of the soft-pulp paper cone 12" drivers in the Model 14. A 2" coil with moderate-size magnet, coupled with that type of cone and dustcap construction, doesn't usually get much above 1KHz, if that.

Always wondered what a pair of Model 14s would sound like, with JBL 123A or 128H woofers in those. Should be able to match up with the horn better. Would require a complete crossover build-from-scratch... but I'd think it'd have potential...

Regards,
Gordon.

messengerman
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
I think the Moderators should immediately award the 2006 Mekon prize for outsized super tweeters to Lakanta. Tremendous effort and surely unbeatable.

:applaud:

OLDGEN
05-17-2006, 12:19 AM
This looks like a mini Nineteen.

Is anyone familiar with this speaker?

There is a very nice one available for sale here in Europe and wondered how it ought to sound in comparison with a Nineteen?

Certainly easier to get in the back of the car!

do you see this one?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ALTEC-14-JBL-LANSING-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ7613613298QQcategoryZ22003QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Lakanta
05-17-2006, 01:25 PM
do you see this one?
http://cgi.ebay.de/ALTEC-14-JBL-LANSING-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ7613613298QQcategoryZ22003QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Not the original cone /Woofer! And price is more a joke than realistic! I paid 300 Euros plus 400 reconing by EVI-Audio with original cones.

I agree with Gordon.
The Loudspeaker is in my opion VERY attractive, but the components are second rate. It will be a nice project to improve the loudpseaker with other components (Altec of course):) .

OLDGEN
05-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Not the original cone /Woofer! And price is more a joke than realistic! I paid 300 Euros plus 400 reconing by EVI-Audio with original cones.

I agree with Gordon.
The Loudspeaker is in my opion VERY attractive, but the components are second rate. It will be a nice project to improve the loudpseaker with other components (Altec of course):) .

my opinion is that the cabinet out is beautifull, but is so slim material. the drivers are not the top only in the middle, but when i am watching, i have erection:bouncy:

louped garouv
05-17-2006, 01:44 PM
FWIU that 802G is considered the cat's meow of the Altec small format compression drivers...

people that dig the tangerine phase plugs and alnico magnets love them....

Lakanta
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
FWIU that 802G is considered the cat's meow of the Altec small format compression drivers...

people that dig the tangerine phase plugs and alnico magnets love them....

I agree! The 802g is great! But this not the compression driver they used in the Model 14! There was a small ferrit compression driver with a plastic cap.
In my version of the Model 19 they used the 802G. (See the foto with the 811B Horn).

GordonW
05-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Looks like the right woofer frame, but WRONG recone kit. They've never had a ribbed cone...

Regards,
Gordon.

louped garouv
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
I agree! The 802g is great! But this not the compression driver they used in the Model 14! There was a small ferrit compression driver with a plastic cap.
In my version of the Model 19 they used the 802G. (See the foto with the 811B Horn).

my bad... I had thought they were the same drivers... the pair I heard locally had the 802G IIRC...

looks like it is still the tangerine plug ferrite driver though, 902 series -- those are also supposed to be good... From what I have read, seems as if Don himself prefers the 902 over the 802 FWIW

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/specs/home-systems/model-14/page3.jpg

Fangio
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM

I agree with Gordon.
I had the chance to see and hear these altec 14s six weeks ago, in the sellers local store. Who would dispute they are beauties, no doubt - but when it comes to serious comparision, I'd say they can't compete with most JBLs of that cabinet size.

The guy who's quoted in the text as responsible for reconing the woofers, and even 'technical overhaul of the loudspeakers', is the same who glued some standard foam surrounds on the front of the old 122A cones from my L166s, in last fall. :banghead: