PDA

View Full Version : Just bought L-110s from epay

SMKSoundPro
05-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Dear Sirs,

I just bought a pair of L-110s from a seller in Portland on ebaY for $96 for the pair in their cardboard boxes. They are missing the woofs, but I just happen to have a pair of LE-111s hanging around here, and even my wife thought this would a great merger of parts. (Gotta Love Her!)

I'll recone both woofs and hopefully all else will be good with these 110s.

I have 4-4311s, 2-4312s, 2-L100s, and use the 2-L56s in our living room that I gave her 15 years ago when we started dating.

I have tried to search all of the threads for information on the L-110s here on the site, and maybe I'm missing something, but my question is...
Did I do OK?

In my JBL three-ring binder of vintage paperwork, I have all of the white papers on L-110s and I understand they were a pretty mis-understood box by some "philes." I remember back in the day reconing and servicing a few 110s, but WAY more l-100s, L-96s and L-36s.

They are costing me $150 total to buy and ship to Tacoma, then another $50 to truck to Anchorage. I hope they sound as good as some of you have shared. I know they will never be like my 4-EN-8 cabinets that I use for mobile DJ work. Those are loaded with a 2240, E-110 & 2404 biamped with a 5234a x-over, (3102 passive between the 10" and baby butt cheek tweeter) and driven with Crown MA2400 & MA1200.

Please be gentle as this is only my 2nd post, and am still learning about the site and all of the info contained herein.

I have just printed out the schematic of the 110 and 110a. Please help with where to get the bypass caps you discuss. I have a Parts Express catalogue right next to me in my shop/office and would love some advise on which caps to buy.

I'm not shy. Just a longtime JBLPro fan and owner of a sound reinforcement company here in Alaska.

Thank You!
Sourdough Scotty.

jim3860
05-10-2006, 12:21 AM
sounds like a good deal to me, i have never heard that model before, i think there a step up from the L-26. and the sound very nice for what they are. great deal on shipping btw. i live in fairbanks and shipping always seems to kill me. you can also go to audio reveiw online and see what other L-110 owners seem to think. REGARDS jim3860:)

Regis
05-11-2006, 04:30 PM
The L-110 is a different speaker from the L-100's, and smaller 43xx family of speakers. I believe the L-110 was originally set to be the replacement for the L-100, but sales were disappointing due to the publics perception about the smaller woofer (10 inch vs. 12 inch).

The L-110 is a very clean speaker with none of the characteristics of the L-100 that made people either love em' or hate em (a ton of midrange and bass, that while sounding somewhat good, wasn't as tight as it could've been). The L-110 has a very nice linearity to it across the range. It is a pleasing speaker to listen to, but don't expect incredible lows. While the bass is good, the narrow design of the woofer surround restrict excursion.

I certainly enjoy the pair we have at the house and they are good for a clean listen, when you don't want to be overwhelmed by a bigger pair of speakers.

Fred Sanford
05-11-2006, 05:37 PM
My take on my L110s has been tight, clean, with low fatigue listening. I use them full range, with an M&K V3B sub adding to the lows a bit- can't remember the freq setting I have on the M&K.

I garbage-picked mine, also without woofers, but I think you did fine for the price. You also seem to have done very well choosing your wife.

Enjoy!

je

Audiobeer
05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
WILL le10H-1 WORK?

SMKSoundPro
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't see why LE-10s won't work. I strongly believe the drivers of this LE-10, LE111a or h, are all about the same.

I am still looking for any recommended crossover modifications. I downloaded the picture of the L-110 and L110a x-over and notice a difference in adding .068uf bypass cap. I have .068 mylar caps in my bench stock. Will these be ok?

Also, What are the benefits of updating this x-over to a 110a?

Thank You for your advice and counsel.

Scott.