PDA

View Full Version : JBL D130F--8 or 16 ohms? Says both . . .

steveokla
05-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Need a quick answer on this one if possible. I'm looking at a nice D130F for sale. On the dome it has "8 ohms - 16 ohms". Do they all say that? Does this mean the speaker can accomodate either? I've never noticed that designation before, but can't say I've looked either. Thanks, Steveokla

hapy._.face
05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Need a quick answer on this one if possible. I'm looking at a nice D130F for sale. On the dome it has "8 ohms - 16 ohms". Do they all say that? Does this mean the speaker can accomodate either? I've never noticed that designation before, but can't say I've looked either. Thanks, Steveokla

It's OK. JBL put 8 ohm on the foilcal and it would test for an 8 ohm speaker. JBL would put 16 ohm on the foilcal and they still test out as an 8 ohm speaker! So JBL just cut the crap and started putting 8-16 ohm on them. In short- they are all 8 OHM speakers.

With regard to D123/D130's:

While we did maintain pretty tight tolerances, our 16 ohm speakers were really about 8 ohms and our 32 ohm speakers were closer to 16 ohm. Why? To make them a little louder. Remember, these were tube amps we were feeding. If you have a big hunk of iron for a transformer, tube amps are a little less fussy about lower impedance loads. Later, JBL just added "8 - 16 Ohms" on the label.

steveokla
05-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks very much! Steve

steveokla
05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Follow up for you here--I know this is a tough one to anwer, but my knowlege of speakers is pretty limited. How does $150 sound for a (purportedly) mint D130F, original cone, surrounds, etc.? I sounded pretty good to me, but I haven't really followed the market for these. Thanks again, Steve K.

hapy._.face
05-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Follow up for you here--I know this is a tough one to anwer, but my knowlege of speakers is pretty limited. How does $150 sound for a (purportedly) mint D130F, original cone, surrounds, etc.? I sounded pretty good to me, but I haven't really followed the
market for these. Thanks again, Steve K.

How does $150 sound for any pair of clean 15" JBL drivers of that quality? Pretty darn good to me, too! I sold a pair of D123's recently for a lot more than that, so if they are indeed "F" badged and they are clean - yeah- $150 seems very fair. Just remember- they need to be EXTRA clean on the surrounds. Original surrounds might have some infamous cracks, etc. Condition is EVERYTHING on these. Are you gonna be using these in a guitar amp? A twin of sorts? The reason I ask is because a little bit of cracking won't kill you if the power of your amp is low enough, and you don't plan to drive them hard.

johnaec
05-07-2006, 05:32 PM
How does $150 sound for any pair of clean 15" JBL drivers of that quality? Pretty darn good to me, too!He didn't state pair - he only mentioned a single. You'd have to want that particular speaker pretty bad to pay that much for a single.

John

Zilch
05-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm readin' it's a single, not a pair.... :(

hapy._.face
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
He didn't state pair - he only mentioned a single. You'd have to want that particular speaker pretty bad to pay that much for a single.

John

YIKES! My bad- I obviously didn't catch that. Yeah, I agree with you guys 100%. You really need a D130F for that price. And it better be extremely clean. I hate the "M" word (mint), and every seller throws that word around too much. It needs a box before you call it 'mint' IMO.

steveokla
05-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry folks--I may not have been clear on this. It's just one speaker. You're right, HF, I'm pretty leary of the 'M' word as well. Its constantly tossed around in the vintage amp market, and seems to be a term without real standards.

As to condition, I would have a three-day lookover period (approval period) during whidh I could confirm the speaker's 'minthood'. That said, sounds like a $150 price tag isn't exactly a steal, if I'm reading your right.

As for use, I have it in mind to pop it into my '64 vibroverb. It's got a K130 in there now, which I'm pretty pleased with--just like the idea of having a first-rate 15 around, both to compare with and just in case something evil befalls the K130. The latter, by the way, I got from a trusted freind--it's original and in very nice shape. That one cost me a hundred bucks a little less than a year ago.

hapy._.face
05-07-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd rock that K130 all I could. D130F is nice to have around for that special amp, and when they are extra clean- it's like having money in the bank. $150 isn't that bad- it just better be super clean.

Take Care,
Travis.

steveokla
05-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Travis. My Vibroverb is probably my favorite among my amps. though it's kind of a toss up with my rough tolex bassman, which really honks like in the old days.

I pulled the original CTS from the VV and packed it awasy, then installed the K130, which turned the amp into a real beast. I'd like to hear the D130 in there--have you had occassion to compare them? Best, Steve

edgewound
05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi Steve,

The D130F won't have as much low end as the K130. It will be a little more distorted, won't handle as much power. I'd keep it as a museum piece...and use the K130....but that's just me. If it's in really nice shape...I mean like new...someone will pay double for it, just to have it....but that's not me;) :p .

Hamilton
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
My Vibroverb is probably my favorite among my amps.
Yikes, no suprise there!

It's hard to figure out why Leo called those "Vibroverbs" because they were really a "Pro" but with reverb, while the Vibroverb was 2x10, which then became the Vibrolux Reverb, while the Pro then became 2x12, which......aww, never mind.

steveokla
05-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Steve,

The D130F won't have as much low end as the K130. It will be a little more distorted, won't handle as much power. I'd keep it as a museum piece...and use the K130....but that's just me. If it's in really nice shape...I mean like new...someone will pay double for it, just to have it....but that's not me;) :p .

Greetings Edge, and thanks. That makes perfect sense to me. Indeed, I seem to recall reading somewhere that lots of Vibroverb officianodos prefer the K130 for just those reasons, also complaining that the D130 is often too shrill in an open back amp.

steveokla
05-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Yikes, no suprise there!

It's hard to figure out why Leo called those "Vibroverbs" because they were really a "Pro" but with reverb, while the Vibroverb was 2x10, which then became the Vibrolux Reverb, while the Pro then became 2x12, which......aww, never mind.

Hamilton,

It is pretty confusing to see how this stuff morphed. Add to that, the Pro started out with one fifteen--sounds like a VV to me (minus the 'verb', of course). I think the Pro and VV also shared the same transformer. It's also intriguing, though, how each retains its personality. I've got a '65 Pro Reverb sitting right next to my VV, and they have very different personalities and flavors. They are both distinctively Fender, but certainly different from each other. Neither sounds much like my Super Reverg, and none of them sound like my old brown bassman, and so on and so on. Best, Steve

watchman
05-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Many of the Fender amps went from one to two drivers as the power increased, the Pro became the ProReverb, the Vibroverb became the Vibrolux, etc.

An original cone D130F for $150 is a bargain, check the numbers on the cone, they should be something like 31032. Japanese buyers on eBay have driven the price to $300 for a perfect example.

LMK if you would like to sell or trade your D130F, as I have another to pair it with. My trading stock includes a pair of Altec Lansing 417c, E130 freshly reconed, pair of E110, a blown D120F.

... watchman