PDA

View Full Version : Altec Three

gyusher
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
I found these guys the other day. . .2.50 for the pair. . . .Any advise on these. . .The info I managed to find says they were 1975 models. . .What MSRP did they carry? Nice cabs and heavy buggers. . .

gyusher
11-03-2003, 06:10 PM
This guy look familiar. . .Where can I get surrounds without buying the entire kit? I have left over glue, shims, caps, and VHS DIY tapes. . .

GordonW
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
I bet we have the surrounds that will fit those, at work. Looks like a pretty standard-size 10" woofer.

Gyusher, if you want to measure the outside diameter of the cone, note whether the outer edge of the cone has a "flat" area (the part where the surround mounts on the cone, is it straight cone like the rest of the cone, or does it flatten out into a lip parallel to the baffle) or not, and the outside diameter of the recess in the frame where the surround outer lip goes... and email this info to Peter at work ([email protected]), we can check if we have the right ones. I'd expect the raw surrounds (no other doodads) would be $5-7 each for standard 10"s, plus a couple bucks shipping or so...

Regards,
Gordon.

gyusher
11-03-2003, 10:27 PM
The cone is tapered and 7in OD. . . . .
One has some wrinkles in it but I want to refoam it first before reconing. . .Seems thatWhile sliding the speakers in my trunk one edge got caught on the edge and I didnt know it untill I got home. Eventually I will have it reconed but for now I want to take the low road. I will send it off, both, if I like the way they sound.

GordonW
11-04-2003, 08:05 AM
I've reinforced those Altec cones before. Straighten the wrinkle as much as you can (get it aligned right with the cone around it), then take some silghtly diluted white glue (with water), and brush it onto the wrinkle. This will usually "stiffen up" the wrinkled area, where it'll play "as a unit" with the rest of the cone. Seemed to sound fine on the Model 9 12" woofer I did it to.

7" cone OD, huh? Sounds almost like a 9" woofer. However, we've got 9" surrounds too, if needed. Could be a smaller 10" as well... there's a variety of different 10" surrounds, we've got quite a number to deal with the strange stuff we have seen before! :D

Regards,
Gordon.

boputnam
11-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by gyusher
Any advise on these. . .

Here's a Heritage Site: Altec 1975 Driver Reference - Link (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/reference/1975-driver.htm) - see page 4 for the Model Three components.

I had success in finding PERFECT surrounds for my Model Nine transducers from [email protected] - drop him an email, if Gordon can't sort you out, and describe what you got. Rick's kits are top. :yes:

Good luck!

gyusher
11-04-2003, 03:49 PM
I think they listed it as a ten inch but the overall outside diameter is 9.5 OD of Gasket. . .10.25 ear to ear. . . .OD. . .
I will dig thru the info provided and see what I can find. . .I like the glue thing. . .I have done that before to stiffen a cone, no reason it shouldnt work for this. If I like the way they sound I will at some point get them both reconed. . . .But for now I want to keep it simple and cheap. . . .The cabs are almost perfect. . .Might be better drivers available but I think I will like it "Stock" just fine. . . .Thanks for everyones help. I will buy these from you Gordon if we can figure which ones. . .Even if I buy both sizes I am sure to use them somewhere. . .

gyusher
11-04-2003, 03:51 PM
I think I have a close-up of the woofers face

boputnam
11-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Hey, Gordon...

From the pics, it looks like that is the surround that glues to the front of the cone. But, I don't/can't see whether it has the flat lip like the 12-in I resurround. Hmm :hmm:

And, looks like a pair of dust caps is in order, too... (at least so it seems from the very fist pic where the LF is still mounted in the cabinet). Or, maybe that's just surround stuck to the cap... :confused:

gyusher
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
The cone doesnt have a lip it is tapered and I would like new caps too so I can shim the VC and get it right. . . . . .

gyusher
11-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Wrong pic. . .I think I have a side view. . .Guessing game here as I didnt name the pics. . .

boputnam
11-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Wrong pic. . .I think I have a side view. . .Guessing game here as I didnt name the pics. . . If you're in Windows, you can use Windows Explorer and the view as "thumbnails", or if you have Paint, it will open most any image file (just change the file type to "all"). Anyway, if I'm not off-track, this could help you see your pics before you post... :hmm:

gyusher
11-05-2003, 03:24 AM
I usually do a better job of naming my pics and I also normally review anything I post. . . .You could only imagine what might come up otherwise. . . . .Oh Lord it might be me in my underware. . . .
Truth is I dont have the pic I need . . .I can take more but I have PMd Gordon . . .I think I know what I need now. You guys have been a great help. . . .Thanks. . .

boputnam
11-05-2003, 07:48 AM
...I also normally review anything I post. . . .You could only imagine what might come up otherwise. . . . .Oh Lord it might be me in my underware.... You wear underware? :confused:

What are you doing on this Forum...? :rotfl:

gyusher
11-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Only in the winter months. . . . .Have to keep it warm and ready. . .You never know when it might be called upon to preform. . . . .LOL. . .

Alex Lancaster
11-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Soft or Hardware?

Alex.

gyusher
11-05-2003, 04:59 PM
I can only wish at this stage of the game. . .So to speak. . .LOL. .