PDA

View Full Version : I'll make room if it will sound good

mbask
05-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Hello!.... I have a pair of JBL 2482 comression drivers complete with 2328,
2350, throats and horns. I'm considering building a custom hi-fi super loud
speaker system, starting with the above mentioned components.
I want to use all JBL transducers, maybe 15"s for LF and tweeters for HF inclosed in two seperate cabinets using passive xover technolegy.
is this possible?... what other components can i look for to join with these
MASSIVE mid drivers to comlete a killer sounding, yet simple three way stereo speaker system? is the entire notion just comletely ludicrous?
I expect this to be a long term project so I'm not in any hurry
I would be grateful for any and all feedback.
New member............................................ ...................... marc

Mr. Widget
05-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Welcome...

Please define Super Loud... for some people super loud is 95dB (symphonic) and others it is 125dB (The Who in concert)... that is quite a range.

Widget

jbl4ever
05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
[quote=mbask]Hello!.... I have a pair of JBL 2482 comression drivers complete with 2328,
2350, throats and horns. I'm considering building a custom hi-fi super loud

Hello mbask, the problem with the 2482 is its usable response is 4.5 to 5Khz then goodnite. JBL does not make one for that range in passive.
If you are going to use dual woofers try some 2225H's or for higher
sensitivity look for some 2220H or J's if lower bass is not needed.
4508 cabinets work for these 2 well. You can find 4560 cabinets used
for about $50 each depending on were you are located. Restoring a pair
now will post pictures when done. For the tweeter to work at that lower xover point for the 2482 look into 2404's or 2402. Its not uncommon to
end up with a sensitivity of 106db/1watt. Hope this helps:)

mbask
05-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome... also for the challenging question.

well.. my living room is rectangular in shape 20' by 15'
the speakers will be situated to face parilel into the linear area
(perpendicular to the 15' span) I think 98db max, with no destortion will be sufficiant.
I desier to listen to my music at that volume all the time, but unfortunatly my room mates do not share my enthusiasm on these important issues. I want the potential head room and I'll accept clarity and hi definition before sheer sonic volume any day...but even that's fun some times. As for my room mates ... well they're more amused then skeptical.
by the way I love The Who
any more feedback on my original question?

thanks again............................................. ..marc

jbl4ever
05-07-2006, 10:47 PM
[quote=mbask]Thanks for the welcome... also for the challenging question.

well.. my living room is rectangular in shape 20' by 15'
the speakers will be situated to face parilel into the linear area
(perpendicular to the 15' span) I think 98db max, with no destortion will be sufficiant.
Look or make a pair of 4508 cabinets using a pair of 2225H's will get you 100db useable to 40-45hz. 1 pair of 3160 xovers 500Hz. You will need to
make the 4.5Khz xover. Then ad either 1 pair per cabinet 2402's or 2404H's. Hope this helps

mbask
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
WOW great information man!!
I think I know where to find some of those components you mentioned
(the woofers and the tweeters) I wrote those model #s down and I'm going to begin my search localy in LA. I did not know that a cabinet even existed that would house the 2482, I thought i would have to build some my self, but you say the 4508 and/or 4560 cabinets will accomidate that driver as well as a woofer and tweeter? In any event I look forword to seeing the pics of those 4560s you are restoring.
still in the dark on the xover issuse given what you have said about passive net-working not an option if to be 100% JBL component pure.
But thats ok I've got some some meat and potatoes info to chew on to get me started, so thank you much jbl4ever
.................................................. ...............................marc

Mr. Widget
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
If super loud is only 98 dB you could achieve that easily with a single 2235 in a ported box and have significantly deeper bass than the high efficiency gear mentioned above... of course that stuff will get you into the range of something that even the virtually deaf Pete Townsend could hear.

You will need a tweeter... I prefer the slot to the 2404 or 2402, unfortunately your driver will have difficulty blending with one. So sell them and get a pair of 2441s or not... and then there are those horns of yours... not a first choice for a room of your size... so many choices.

Widget

mbask
05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
If super loud is only 98 dB you could achieve that easily with a single 2235 in a ported box and have significantly deeper bass than the high efficiency gear mentioned above... of course that stuff will get you into the range of something that even the virtually deaf Pete Townsend could hear.

You will need a tweeter... I prefer the slot to the 2404 or 2402, unfortunately your driver will have difficulty blending with one. So sell them and get a pair of 2441s or not... and then there are those horns of yours... not a first choice for a room of your size... so many choices.

Widget

which would the 2482 best be suited for, PA or home?
short of the only two aplications that I know of where this type drives were used .... alone 65 feet up on a pole at some prison fire camp for anouncement purpose....or ... 1970s major out door rock concert ..
sound by Bob Hiel, I no not what to do with them .. . I cant sell them as they were given to me as a gift, so I MUST BUILD THEM INTO A SOUND SYSTEM pure and simple. I currently own twelve diffrent pairs of HI-Fi and pro sound speakers, also about 35 diffrent raw (or not in cabinets) transducers. my favorites are my Altec 846A Valencias, KLH 24s and my 1960 Jensen DF-1 Duettes ( these duettes only sound good with older recordings using standup accustic bass in my opinion) so ..
I'm not doing this out of need I want to do it becuase ......................The answer my frien is blowing in the wind..
thanks again ....... widget

Zilch
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105370&postcount=114

2407H (or similar) re-entrant tweeter will cross at 3 kHz nicely.

That JBL tweeter horn costs $9.90 and matches the horizontal pattern of your 2350's

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2482.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Radial_Horns1.pdf

Mr. Widget
05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
which would the 2482 best be suited for, PA or home?....In my opinion I would consider it a PA device however I have heard of people who enjoy them at home...

Build or buy a pair of these bass horns and let your neighbors enjoy the fun.:D
You'll probably want to add a couple of 2402s...

Widget

mbask
05-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Very Very cool ..... Is that what i think it is?

mbask
05-10-2006, 11:09 PM
thanks Widget, JBL4ever, and all ells for the helpful information.
I am curently in the woodshed (figurativly yet) with this project.
so when the folks up in Portland Oregon.......or Portland Main
for that matter ... finally trace the mysterious blaring of....
"Live At Leads"or "Blues For Alha" or "Feets don't Fail Me Now"
ok.... lets through in "Bitches Brew" ...to somewhere in the Los Angeles region...:D
you'll know who it is....he ha just joking.
all kidding aside ...thanks very much.:applaud:

we'll be in touch
mbask

Guy in WNY
01-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Hello Mbask,
I use that same horn/throat/driver combo. It is primarily for long-throw PA use, however, in my case, I just kept them all these years and I DO use them indoors in my Stereo Speaker Stack. You will be able to achive very impressive SPL. I refer to it as "Call the cops" loud. Be nice and shut down after 10:00PM.
I brought home an industrial SPL monitor and my stereo can hit over 112db's just crusing, but that is really SUPER LOUD! I didn't go past that but there was plently of power left to do so.
15" subs Power is Crown PSA-2 (4 ohms)
(2) 12" Mids Power is Crown DC-300A Series II (8 ohms)
2350/2482 Horn combo Power is Crown DC-300A Series II (16 ohms)
2402 tweets Power is from the Marantz 1060 (16 ohms)
I use 3 active xovers - split the subs off from a Furman TX-3 (in stereo biamp configuration) then what's left goes to a pair of Furman TX-3 in Mono 3-way configuration.
The power and volume are there.

DJ Vincenzo
01-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Welcome...

Please define Super Loud... for some people super loud is 95dB (symphonic) and others it is 125dB (The Who in concert)... that is quite a range.

Widget

time and time again im reminded of how STUPID i was for not seeing the Who that last time in the late 80's:(