PDA

View Full Version : Loyalty Test*

Titanium Dome
05-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Here's a fun exercise with a serious undertone. We've had a number of comments over the past few years that JBL isn't marketing correctly, isn't producing the right models, doesn't have the better stuff in the distribution chain, etc.

This poll allows you to vote twice.

First, let's see how many of us have spent money on brand new, factory produced JBLs in the past five years. If you bought an iPod docking model like the Time Machine or some E Series, or maybe a Synthesis System, there's a category to cover your expenditure or lack of it.

Feel free to post what it is you did buy brand new from JBL in the past five years. :thmbsup:

Second, let's see how motivated we are to purchase new JBL models. Click the choice that most closely approximates how you feel about why you did or did not make a new JBL purchase.

Feel free to post an explanation of why you chose to buy or not to buy. :yes:

Okay, here we go! :bouncy:

*It's tongue in cheek, okay. No one blow a gasket.

johnaec
05-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Just to clarify - *all* categories refer to brand new JBL equipment, right? I almost mistook the last 4 in red to include used equipment, but then thought better of it...

John

QwertyAccess
05-06-2006, 05:06 PM
no used eh, <- no monay :p , i have no idea what new jbl speakers sound like, but i like the idea of woofer's being atleast 12" and not whatever they have today 8" 10" and they look a little gimmicky to me when it looks like a shiny almost plastic like material for the cone, (Northridge?). Of course there are exceptions, too expensive for me though :(

Titanium Dome
05-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Just to clarify - *all* categories refer to brand new JBL equipment, right? I almost mistook the last 4 in red to include used equipment, but then thought better of it...

John

Right. The choices in red are the reasons why you did or did not buy any new JBL equipment in the past five years.

Second, let's see how motivated we are to purchase new JBL models. Click the choice that most closely approximates how you feel about why you did or did not make a new JBL purchase.

oznob
05-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey Dome,
I can always answer yes to the last question in red!:banghead:

Tom Brennan
05-06-2006, 05:48 PM
There's nothing new JBL makes that I want. I prefer Altec to JBL and I'll probably be buying some new GPA stuff soon.

Zilch
05-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Thankfully, the poll doesn't include JBL components or used stuff, just new systems.

I wouldn't care to add it up. Nope.... :p

lfh
05-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Thankfully, the poll doesn't include JBL components

It says "brand new JBL equipment", so I figure components (and maybe even spares) would qualify - or?

Anyway, I bought D16R2441 :)

I wouldn't buy speakers, though, since real men build their own speakers ;)

Titanium Dome
05-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Thankfully, the poll doesn't include JBL components or used stuff, just new systems.

I wouldn't care to add it up. Nope.... :p

Originally I wrote speakers, but changed it to equipment, since a Synthesis System would have more than speakers, since some guys would be buying brand new drivers, since a Creature is speakers, amp, and preamp, the PS now has a multichannel amp and pre/pro, etc.

So, yeah, start adding up all those JBL drivers, XOs, horns, etc., that you bought new, too.

Zilch
05-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't buy speakers, though, since real men build their own speakers ;)Heh.

An ancient tradition.... :thmbsup:

Anyway, I bought D16R2441 :)O.K., now buy D16R2451SL and tell us:

a) Do they fit, and,

b) Do they sound better....

:D

Shane Shuster
05-06-2006, 07:00 PM
I have bought JBL subwoofers in the last 5 years. JBL doesn't make any mains that interest me. If they would make a speaker that had Altec ideals with more modern parts I would be interested.

Mr. Widget
05-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I consistently fail loyalty tests...:(

Widget

johnaec
05-06-2006, 08:14 PM

WidgetMaybe we should ask the value of new JBL equipment that's gone through your place in the last year or two... :p

John

norealtalent
05-06-2006, 08:16 PM

Widget

You are not alone. The only JBL's I've ever bought new is a pair of 435Be's that fell in my lap for about less than dealer cost. Anything JBL makes today that I might want is not worth "normal" prices. Although I think that is true with most everything...Just my $.02:blink:

Oldmics
05-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Guys who are service centers or resellers.

I would bet that just between Edgewound and myself we probably do close to 100K a year in JBL biz.

Should we stay out of this poll? :banghead:

Oldmics

Ian Mackenzie
05-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Well lets see,

I have bought a 4645 brand new in sealed in original carton, a brand new 2245H sealed in carton and numerous new spares.

Your assumptions might be off base but who cares. The lastest L series HT systems and quite good performers and top sellers according local importer Convoy.

It would appear maintaining a vintage collection is not only expensive but gets preference of discretionary income over new sales around here. How unusual for a bunch of legacy users!

Titanium Dome
05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Guys who are service centers or resellers.

I would bet that just between Edgewound and myself we probably do close to 100K a year in JBL biz.

Should we stay out of this poll? :banghead:

Oldmics
Was it new JBL equipment? Did the money (or some of it) get back to the mothership? I'd consider a factory recone kit bought from JBL as "new," even if for an older driver. For JBL, it's new money coming in from a product it carries.

Originally I wrote speakers, but changed it to equipment... (snip)

So, yeah, start adding up all those JBL drivers, XOs, horns, etc., that you bought new, too.

Oldmics
05-06-2006, 09:07 PM
O.K.,I"m in.

Just did not want to skew the poll.

Oldmics

briang
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I voted red first...thus I was able to vote only once....:blink:

Ducatista47
05-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Well, I purchased a pair of JBL Platinum series for my computer, $30. Now you can get them for $10 plus shipping.

I also purchased $7665 in used JBL speakers, crossovers, and JBL/Urei amps in the last six months. I wonder if that is a typical ratio around here.

That binge ended when I had no more disposable funds. I wonder if that is typical!:D

At least I did well. I ended up with exactly what I most wanted. If I were wealthy, I would also have K2's here. I guess I am not JBL's intended demographic.:( I look in the mirror and I don't see a wealthy asian industrialist. Or a sound professional.

Correction. $7885. I forgot the 2245H baskets, etc.

Clark in Peoria

invstbiker
05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
I can't see anything in RED, didn't buy anything NEW, however

bought 1 pair of 4343's and 1 pair of 4350's

I wouldn't buy anything new at this point 'caus I love messin' with the old shit, gives me something to do...Don't own a TV either, but do have this puter...

Also have a pair of 4333's in boxes and want to buy 4345's to round out the collection and then when I sail off into the sunset maybe I'll sell the whole mess....NOT, I'm going to pass it down the line, the kids just don't know it yet....SHHHH don't tell 'em, it's a surprise when I'm dead and gone...:applaud:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2006, 09:39 AM
This got me adding up the numbers. I have purchased over 60 grand worth of used JBL's in 5 years.

Never thought about it before.

Ken

boputnam
05-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I consistently fail loyalty tests...Liar.

You are persistently faithful to your ears! :p

boputnam
05-07-2006, 11:25 AM
This got me adding up the numbers. I have purchased over 60 grand worth of used JBL's in 5 years.Yea, but that is only half the story - it's meaningless without considering the cash in-flows, dood! :)

boputnam
05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
O.K.,I"m in.All those dbx Driveracks... :rotfl:

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Yea, but that is only half the story - it's meaningless without considering the cash in-flows, dood! :)

That be true for sure! Its all that buying and selling that built what I have. But the numbers were shocking.

Ken

boputnam
05-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I would bet that just between Edgewound and myself we probably do close to 100K a year in JBL biz. Should we stay out of this poll? :banghead: You shouldn't stay out, but that is the flaw in this poll. As I replied to Ken, It should be net capital.

If you and edgewound (and Ken, and ;) ...) are counting stuff you bought - then sold, and then someone else is counting what they bought from you, there is all manner of double-counting going on.

:bs:

Do Over!

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I have not voted in the poll for obvious reasons.

Ken

boputnam
05-07-2006, 12:04 PM
I have not voted in the poll for obvious reasons.:rotfl:

There is a 12-step program, dood - but you have to want to stop! :p

Ken Pachkowsky
05-07-2006, 12:11 PM
:rotfl:

There is a 12-step program, dood - but you have to want to stop! :p

Unfortunately, due to my location its at an end. Sort of a forced 1-step program:)

Have a good day bud.

Ken

Mr. Widget
05-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I have not voted in the poll for obvious reasons.

KenWhat are you talking about... haven't you bought LSRs, L300s and god knows what in the last couple of years?

I haven't voted either though... but it was because I though the premise is kinda dumb... sorry Dome.

Widget

Titanium Dome
05-07-2006, 02:40 PM
What are you talking about... haven't bought LSRs, L300s and god knows what in the last couple of years?

I haven't voted either though... but it was because I though the premise is kinda dumb... sorry Dome.

Widget

Can't hurt my feelings; I'm kinda dumb. Ask around.

Zilch
05-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I haven't voted either though... but it was because I though the premise is kinda dumb... sorry Dome.I think I get the original premise: there's folks out there that buy current (as opposed to vintage) JBL systems; are they represented here? What we actually spend on JBL "gear" is not the subject, I don't think.

It's kinda Dome's thing, and I appreciate it, 'cause I couldn't begin to distinguish among current and recent retail offerings. Somebody asks me what JBL they should purchase to set up their HT, for example, I haven't a clue, and neither do the salespeople, apparently.

And if it's a music system they're after, unless they've got $5000 or more to spend, I'd be recommending the proven used systems already well known to this forum, perhaps most because I don't know anything else.

So, it's GOOD to see more of it detailed and discussed here of late. No doubt, there are some gems to be discovered. Current JBL warrants its own forum, I'd say. There's no denying it's "Heritage." :thmbsup:

Regis
05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Bang for the buck is the main reason. IMHO, for what I paid for my L-300's including new diaphragms for the mids, I'm still under $1,800 for the pair. Hard to beat that kind of performance for that price.:D

Mr. Widget
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I think I get the original premise...The reason I thought it dumb is that it seems obvious and I'm bored with the subject. That's all...

Look... there have been no posts that I can remember where any forum member bought any new high end JBLs from a JBL dealer. What we hear the most is, "Well maybe those replacement diaphragms do sound better, but won't these cheaper ones be almost as good?"

Widget

norealtalent
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
What we hear the most is, "Well maybe those replacement diaphragms do sound better, but won't these cheaper ones be almost as good?"

Widget

:crying: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Titanium Dome
05-08-2006, 01:43 PM
One thing the poll, unscientific as it is, points out is that as of this point 36 out of 55 respondents have purchased new JBL equipment in the past five years. Seven of those spent $5k or more.

If we had a better polling mechanism, we could do a better poll, but this one is sufficient to demonstrate that

A) A number of forum members are buying new equipment from JBL;
B) Some of them are spending significant amounts of money; and
3) Whether it's new speakers, replacement drivers, or whatever, the members of LHS are participating with the company in economic transactions and not merely scavenging old parts for heritage systems.

To me, this is much better than I expected.

Rolf
05-08-2006, 02:58 PM
It says "brand new JBL equipment", so I figure components (and maybe even spares) would qualify - or?

Anyway, I bought D16R2441 :)

I wouldn't buy speakers, though, since real men build their own speakers ;)

:snore: :blink: :hmm: :screwy: You really think you can do better than the factory?

lfh
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
:snore: :blink: :hmm: :screwy: You really think you can do better than the factory?

Think about it:

A carefully designed USD 4k DIY system based on vintage JBL components and proven old JBL designs yields fantastic results. Do you get comparable performance from a new system for 4k? No. Does a K2 or 1400 Array sound better? Yes.

Apart from that, I enjoy designing and building speakers - buying a finished system is almost like cheating in my book.

YMMV

toddalin
05-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Bought lots of JBL in the last couple years (four 15" woofers, two 8" 3-way car speakers, two stereo and one 4-channel car power amps come to mind), some even new (two stereo power amps for my '91 Vette and two 8" 3-way speakers for my '64 Vette)..., just not from an authorized JBL rep. So I answered no brand new JBL.

Titanium Dome
05-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Bought lots of JBL in the last couple years (four 15" woofers, two 8" 3-way car speakers, two stereo and one 4-channel car power amps come to mind), some even new (two stereo power amps for my '91 Vette and two 8" 3-way speakers for my '64 Vette)..., just from an authorized JBL rep. So I answered no brand new JBL.

So...

You bought brand new JBL equipment and purchased it through a JBL rep but answered no... :confused:

Was it new JBL equipment? Did the money (or some of it) get back to the mothership? I'd consider a factory recone kit bought from JBL as "new," even if for an older driver. For JBL, it's new money coming in from a product it carries.

Originally I wrote speakers, but changed it to equipment, since a Synthesis System would have more than speakers, since some guys would be buying brand new drivers, since a Creature is speakers, amp, and preamp, the PS now has a multichannel amp and pre/pro, etc.