PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading wire inside L-96's

whitese
11-03-2003, 09:03 AM
It has been suggested to me that I may achieve significant improvements by rewiring the speakers, and installing some nice speaker posts....

Now my dilemma is that the speaks are in super mint conditon. and dont know if I want to risk anything and loose the historical perspective....Ya know,,,you get that feeling that u are messing with a museum piece (just an analogy):D

boputnam
11-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Hey...

You might click that handy-dandy search button, and use the string "monster cable" for some background on the merits of it from the experiences of Giskard and others...

;)

whitese
11-03-2003, 10:35 AM
hey man,,put some clothes on that tweeter,,,:D

whitese
11-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Oh,,,Aquaplas in the back,,,no wonder I couldnt figure out why in the 250's and 240's they didnt "see" to have them....

There is an audio store here in town that has a pair of 250's for sale,,,gorgeous things!

gyusher
11-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Tell Chip at Melton Pro-Sound Hello for me. . .I have bought many JBLs from them. . . .I used to live in Americus, GA. . .A good place to be from. . .Atlanta is a great city. . .

whitese
11-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Giskard,,,is your screename taken from the Isaac Asimov robot character?

Also, Gyusher,,,where is that store exactly?

gyusher
11-03-2003, 06:17 PM
I want to say Bufford Hwy. . .North of the city. . .In a strip mall. . .They have a downtown store that you would be well advised to take your "Rod" with you. . . .
You know what they say about too much sugar for a dime.??? Thats my opinion about rewiring my 112s. . .IMO they sound great to me just the way they wired them. . .I am not opposed to upgrades but it does seem like a lot of work. I guess I should read the posts refered to above first before speaking about it.

GordonW
11-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Man, I used to WORK at Melton's Pro Sound, YEARS ago... with Chip, Paul, John Wheeler, Mr. Keller M. (who has now passed away) and Mrs. M. I wonder, is it still the same pair of 250Tis that was there, when I was?? :eek:

BTW, Melton's has moved... the Ponce de Leon store is no more, and the Buford Highway/Shallowford Rd. location has moved to Jimmy Carter Boulevard, in the Syms' shopping center just west of I-85. If you know where the "Taste of Thai" Thai restaurant is... they're in the same shopping center. Saw the store again just recently, when some friends of mine went for Thai food a while back...

Regards,
Gordon.

whitese
11-03-2003, 07:53 PM
The 250's I saw are in Audio Alternatives on Indian Trail and 85 just about, right at the edge of Lilburn...

I will check that store on Jimmy Carter soon/

gyusher
11-03-2003, 10:33 PM
If you worked there between 1980 and 1999 you should know me Guy Usher or my friend Chris Fenn. . .Living in Americus a wasteland for audio, we had to make several pilgrimages to Meltons and others. Cant miss the HiFi Buys outlet sales either. . .I picked up 3 Adcom GFA-565s for 600 bucks total. . .I have some serious storys from those days that I will get to in time.

GordonW
11-04-2003, 10:04 PM
I worked there, 1987 and 1988. I was, I think, their FIRST car stereo installer...

I was also the only person there, to ever sell a pair of B&W Matrix 802s, IIRC! That's a story for the ages, I'll have to tell that one sometime...

I do remember having lots of fun with the 240Ti's and 250Ti's. One story in particular, has me putting BOTH the 240s and 250s, together in parallel, on this big Urei 300w/ch amp, from the Citation 21 preamp, fed from the big Technics SL-P1200 pro CD player. The cool thing about this player, is that it had "jog shuttle"... ie, you could "step" through a track on a CD, and if you stopped, it just sat there and went "Tah tah tah tah", like a skipping CD, playing just the ONE momentary sample of the disk continuously, until you moved the wheel to make it go somewhere else.

Well, I managed to get it "paused" on the HUGE rim-shot on James Newton Howard's "L'Daddy"... the one near the end of the track. BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM... sounded JUST like a Thompson gun! And with the 240s and 250s in parallel on about 600 watts per channel, it was as LOUD as a real gun, too, just about!

Well, there was a guy who owned a gun store at the other end of the mall, that would occasionally come down to visit. As I was playing around with the "noise-maker", John Wheeler went outside, and came running back in saying "quick, the gun guy is coming! Get the system set up on that gun noise again!" Being a bit worried about unintentional consequences, I asked John "You are sure he's not carrying any of his guns from the store now, right?" John said "No, he's clean"...

The guy came in, and I took the thing off of pause... BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM!!! The guy just did the instinctual Marine military training thing, and immediately hit the floor like a sack of potatoes, and covered his head! Fortunately, no harm done, he figured out it was just a recording, a few seconds later...

Man, we were some evil little F***ers back then... :D

Regards,
Gordon.

gyusher
11-06-2003, 03:30 PM
I remember some funny stories from that time during our journeys to Atlanta to buy HiFi gear. . . .Once comming home my friend was really ticked because some waitress got to him and he wouldnt talk all the way home. . .Well long story short we made a pit stop just before we got home at this real bad spot. . .We walked in the mens room together so I thought. . .I went into the stall and this guy who I thought was my friend (a guy cut my friend off and went in behind me) stayed at the wall mounted urinal. . .Anyway there was some typical nasty grafetti on the walls of the stall I was in. . .I started reading the stuff outloud thinking my friend was listening. . . .My wife and my friend said this guy came running out the door looking back like he was in trouble or something. . .They didnt know what just happened and neither did I but in the end we all had a good laugh. . .My friend stopped being mad and laughed all the way home. . .I can only guess what the stranger thought. . . . . .
Meltons downtown was not a good area as I remember but they had things no one else did. . . .

GordonW
11-06-2003, 11:48 PM
I used to do car stereo installations, in the Melton's Ponce de Leon back parking lot!!

D***, what the hell was I thinking?!? :eek:

Regards,
Gordon.
it was actually OK out there, except when a) it started raining or snowing or b) some bum from the church next door, would start trying to pan-handle me while I was trying to work...