PDA

View Full Version : Help please. Need 4301b's refoamed

say4567
05-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey guys...

Now that I have fallen in love with my JBL 4301b I find that they need to be refoamed.

Does anyone have e recomendation on a good quality shop in the LA area. Specifacally Santa Monica but will take them wherever the best place is.

Thanking everyone in advance... This is a great forum.

Stephen

boputnam
05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Are you sure refoam is all? I've done both refoams and recones, and the latter is better - that way the fatigued spider get's renewed, too.

You need to post the woofer model you have - there were a couple used in that cabinet.

But, share some pics of the little buggers and where you use them.

I simply love that particular model. IMO, JBL might just have gotten really lucky with that design. It could happen. Maybe it was all to plan, but then again, maybe with the complexities inherant in cabinet design (crossover, batting, porting, baffle reflections, bass response, etc.) I often wonder if this little wonder surprised the design team just a bit.

-----

Oh heck, there goes the eBay value again!! :banghead:

mech986
05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh heck, there goes the eBay value again!! :banghead:__________________
bo

That's ok Bo, as long as people don't realize that the more numerous and popular L19 is pretty much the same speaker, the price shouldn't go up so much.

OTOH, did I just let the cat out of the bag? :bouncy: :banghead:

Bart
L19 owner as well

BTW, edgewound here on LH is in Upland (eastern LA County) and can do the refoam or recone. You don't have to ask him to put the foams on the BACK of the cone, he will do that automatically because its factory.

boputnam
05-04-2006, 06:44 PM
That's ok Bo, as long as people don't realize that the more numerous and popular L19 is pretty much the same speaker:scold: Not, exactly, but...

Let 'em all buy the L19 thinking that - it is indeed a great cabinet, but, well... :bouncy:

say4567
05-04-2006, 08:25 PM
OK, Some of you guys may remember... I inherited these speakers from a little ols lady in Montecito CA. She bought them new and only played them on occasion. AND get this... they were stored in enclosed cabinets so they were never exposed to any sunlight, dust, ect...

I put them on this board and was going to sell them... well after seeing sooo much interest, I decieded I needed to give them a fair listen... I did not have a decent amp around, so I looked around and found a mint condition NAD 3220PE Integrated Amp and hooked an old Adcom CD player I had sitting around.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
Was I amazed by the superb sound quality from these little speakers. Then I fianally started doing my research and realized I was no the only one who loved the sound of these little JBL's.

So, If you guys would help me out... Where should I take them to have them properly repaired. I am not from this area and am not too familiar with cone speakers.

So, if someone is an expert and they can tell me where to take then and what I should have done (foam or cones) I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Stephen

majick47
05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
say4567 I had my 4301b refoamed by my local JBL Pro Sound (Braintree MA) and they came out perfect. The 4301b do duty in a small room where I have my pc set up. Presently they are sitting on top of cabinets in each corner of the room but will soon be mounted on heavy steel pro audio brackets on the wall much like in a studio control booth. Picked them up on Ebay for $100 shipping included, both woofers needed to be refoamed and they had holes drilled in the backs for mounting, looks like they were formerly used in a recording studio or radio station. I filled the holes, sanded and painted the back flat black, lightly sanded the veneer and oiled the cabinets, cleaned the grills and they look and sound terrific. Sometimes it's a toss up between listening to the 4301b or my L300 in a much larger room. Also agree that the L19 is very, very close in performance to the 4301b and will probably be my choice for a future 5.1 system. And lets not forget the distinctive JBL blue cloth grills and blue baffle boards that sets them apart from all the other "home" audio speakers.

mech986
05-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Here's the link to JBL Pro Authorized Service Centers in California. There are a couple on the west side as well as the valley. Most all will make a recommendation to recone as that will guarantee you have a new functioning woofer. However, some will do a refoam on specific request, be sure they put the foam on the back of the cone.

Here you go:

http://www.jblproservice.com/service/california.html

Regards,

Bart

GordonW
05-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Refoaming a 116A/116H 8" woofer should be fine, as there is a specific aftermarket surround made to EXACTLY fit this driver, from at least one reconing-parts supplier. I know, I've used 'em... :thmbsup:

Regards,
Gordon.

boputnam
05-05-2006, 10:34 AM
So, if someone is an expert and they can tell me where to take then and what I should have done (foam or cones) I sure would appreciate it.There's a few around that do this, for sure.

email my buddy Rick Cobb: [email protected] and ask if he'll do the refoams for you. He has the right kits. Say howdy for me! :wave:

Or, pm edgewound here and see if he's interested.

For any option, you'll need to pull the woofs and then carefully package for shipment.
Check out the Packing Instructions thread for some helpful tips!

edgewound
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
There's a few around that do this, for sure.

email my buddy Rick Cobb: [email protected] and ask if he'll do the refoams for you. He has the right kits. Say howdy for me! :wave:

For any option, you'll need to pull the woofs and then carefully package for shipment.

PM's have been exchanged:)

Triumph Don
05-05-2006, 09:22 PM
There's a few around that do this, for sure.

Rick did my LE 10's coupla years ago, Perfect! And VERY fast turnaround too

say4567
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Just a note to thank everyone for their responses... very much appreciated.

Made the trip to Upland today... met Ken, nice guy. I think my speakers are in very good hands.

Ken even told us about a great little town nearby, had a nice walk around and a great Greek lunch.

Hopefully I will have them back soon...Will try to get some pictures up when they get back.

Thanks,
Stephen
aka say4567

boputnam
05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Made the trip to Upland today... met Ken, nice guy. I think my speakers are in very good hands.Cool - but you shoulda posted some pics of his shop! :bouncy: (we've seen that pic of him and his gal... :thmbsup: )

How 'bout it Ken - anything there us wannabe's would groove on...?