PDA

View Full Version : tunning

gene
05-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Hello guys. are all jbl studio or home speakers tune around 30hz. the reason I ask this question when I put in a movie in my dvd player the bass responce is awesome the walls are shaking the ceiling is vibrating. but when I put in a cd to play music its not the same. If I biamp my xovers will that solve my problem or will I have to change the tunning to 30 hz as well to get the bass responce you get from a L112 or L250

Don Mascali
05-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Tuning frequency is dependant on the box/driver interaction and shouldn't be changed unless you have an very overiding need and the equipment to test it properly..

My uneducated WAG (Wild A$$ed Guess) is that the effects channel on your receiver is set too high and the Dolby 5.1 track on movies drives the LF. Two channel music doesn't get the effects channel and could sound normal. Play with your settings and see what happens.

Good luck,

Don M

boputnam
05-03-2006, 09:03 AM
My uneducated WAG (Wild A$$ed Guess) is that the effects channel on your receiver is set too high and the Dolby 5.1 track on movies drives the LF. Two channel music doesn't get the effects channel and could sound normal. Play with your settings and see what happens.
Yea, that's exactly my grab, too. There is some dynamics processing on your DVD playback.

That is unless you are running different speaker configurations with the DVD and the 2.0 (stereo)?

Mr. Widget
05-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Hello guys. are all jbl studio or home speakers tune around 30hz.Each system is tuned based on the woofer being used and the type of sound that is desired for the intended application.

...when I put in a movie in my dvd player the bass responce is awesome the walls are shaking the ceiling is vibrating. but when I put in a cd to play music its not the same.As mentioned by others above, you are dealing with a host of variables. It could be how you have decided to set up your electronics... you may have it set up incorrectly.

Then there is the fact that a movie soundtrack can have intense subsonic sound... very little music has anywhere near the same VLF content.

In my system if I play an action movie with explosions and the like, the skylights in the ceiling of the second story above me rattle like an earthquake... when I play music the TV upstairs drowns out the system downstairs...

I would not recommend that you attempt to biamp your system. It will only add to the complexity of your system. From reading your posts you are having enough fun sorting out what you have. Adding additional knobs to turn will likely make the situation worse.

Widget

Titanium Dome
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Additional complexity, while sometimes unavoidable, is often the opposite of improvement.

Don Mascali
05-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Additional complexity, while sometimes unavoidable, is often the opposite of improvement.

Yeah, but I love to play with the knobs :D ( OCD you know )

Titanium Dome
05-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Yeah, but I love to play with the knobs :D ( OCD you know )

:rotfl:

Well, who here doesn't?