PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 4675c to consumer "hi-fi" speakers?

KenWH
05-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi guys, great forum you have here.:bouncy:

I currently run Klipsch RF-7 series speakers in my theater including RF-7 mains(horn and two 10's in each tower) RC-7 center(horn and two 8's) and four RS-7(two horns and a single 8 in each).

I've came upon a pair of 4675c and three 4670d's,all paired with 4648 bottoms and I was wondering how these would compare to my RF-7's? I currently run a JBL 4642 dual 18" sub and REALLY enjoy it so I'm thinking the other JBL PRO Cinema stuff may be worth trying out. I'm thinking of running 4675's as mains with one 4670(bass section laid on it's side)for center and a pair of 4670's for surrounds and keeping a pair of wall mounted rs-7s for rear center duty.

Again, in general terms...what will I gain and what will I lose if I swap out the Klipsch's for the JBL's? The main thing with the RF's is a lack of impact in both the mains and the center.

I like horns and I like loud movies and music but I also like great sound quailty with impact.

Thanks for reading and any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

-ken

mikebake
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
They aren't made for home environments, but the only way you'll know is to listen to them and draw your own conclusion.

KenWH
05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I've been lurking here for several weeks. It seems there are lot's of JBL "pro" speakers systems and/or drivers in use in various peoples systems.

Just from comparing specs, the JBL's biggest weakness compared to the RF-7's, the jbl 2446 driver won't have as much extension in the highs. Now that's assuming Klipsch's specs are accurate.;) From some of my reading here, it seems that JBL PRO specs are usually dead on.

mikebake
05-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Do you have a chance to listen to the JBL's? You might find you like them but I still don't recommend those for home use. Unless you have a theater sized home theater..................

Zilch
05-01-2006, 02:11 PM
With JBL passive crossover HF boost, they'll play to 16 kHz:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81644&#post81644

KenWH
05-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replys mike and zilch,

No, haven't had a chance to hear them. The theater supply place that has them has them broken down in pieces for storage.

Mike,
What about them makes them not suitable to home use in your opinion?

They will be running passive 500hz x-overs.

Jbl specs the highs as -3 at 16k and -10 at 20k. Not great extension but that kinda goes with a lot of horns. I have a pair of EV 12trx's I use as small monitors and if i recall, the horn in them is fairly similar in hf extension(16-17k hz range).

The jbl won't be for ultra critical music, I have a dedicated 2ch. setup with planar speakers for that.(talk about polar-opposites):D

edit:
dedicated theater in my basement is 22x24 with 8.5' ceilings.(almost 4,500 cubic ft)

Mr. Widget
05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
I would bet you would be happy with them. I would be concerned about getting a center that matches the L+R fronts... as for VHF extension, I don't think it is an issue in theater applications.

I am extremely picky for two channel music playback. In my HT I use some high end PA type speakers that are two-ways and don't have extreme extension and they sound great. I don't much care for them for critical listening though.

Widget

mikebake
05-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replys mike and zilch,

No, haven't had a chance to hear them. The theater supply place that has them has them broken down in pieces for storage.

Mike,
What about them makes them not suitable to home use in your opinion?

The jbl won't be for ultra critical music, I have a dedicated 2ch. setup with planar speakers for that.(talk about polar-opposites):D

edit:
dedicated theater in my basement is 22x24 with 8.5' ceilings.(almost 4,500 cubic ft)

That's a pretty good sized room, which will help, and you say you don't need hi-fi aspects,which will also help. I shouldn't tip you off and skew the results, but here is what will suprise you; you will start liking the effortless dynamics of large pro series JBL more, and start listening to your planars less, when you just want to have fun and get into the music. Most of what I think doesn't work in the home as well is the horn; the driver itself is decent. Tell them to hook them up at the supply house for a listen; should be easy to do. How much do they want for them?

KenWH
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the reply mr. widget,

My plan is to actually use the 4675's as the fronts(L and R) with a 4670 turned on it's side(woofers horizontal) and move the horn to the side facing up as a center channel. This is the only way it will fit under my wall mounted screen. Both the 4675 and 4670 use the 2446 comp. driver. Only difference is the lens. Also the bass sectons on both are upgraded to 4648's instead of the normal 4638's. They use 2226 woofers instead of 2035's. So technically the 4670's are not true 4670 systems, rather I'm pairing the 4670 lens,driver and 500hz x-over with 4648 bass bins.

Will there be a major sound difference in the hf's due different horn lens?

KenWH
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Mike,

Pricing is still in flux right now, the last qoute was $2500 for two 4675's and three 4670's. (all with 4648 bass sections). Drivers are all in good shape but the cabinents are about a 6 on the 1-10 scale. He's missing some brackets, hardware, etc. so I'm not sure what I'll offer him. All this was pulled out of a theater.

What do you guys think of his pricing(I realize you haven't seen them).

Thanks,
Ken

KenWH
05-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh one other interesting thing...he's got a few huge 4688 subs. He says the drivers are good but the cabinents look pretty beat up. Are these decent subs? He said he'd take $400 for each.

Mr. Widget
05-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Will there be a major sound difference in the hf's due different horn lens?Define major... I'd say yes.

Widget

Mr. Widget
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Oh one other interesting thing...he's got a few huge 4688 subs. He says the drivers are good but the cabinents look pretty beat up. Are these decent subs? He said he'd take $400 for each.? Zilch... what do you think? I've never really listened to one other than to hear Zilch's rumbling in another room... I'd probably stay away from them, but they do rumble.

Widget

KenWH
05-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Ha, Ha, well the size/shape difference is quite large which I assumed would more influence throw and dispersion more than tone. I guess I assumed wrong.?.?

I can't fit the large lens under my screen...so would it be better to switch the large lens of 4675's to the same as 4670's?

Zilch
05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
$400's a very good price for 4688 with drivers.

A repaint would fix the cabinets.

Those ain't "furniture." :p

And dispersion's not an issue.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6782

Does he have any 4685's or 4682's

[The forum NEEDS these.... ;) ]

KenWH
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Zilch,
So the compression driver will sound fairly similar with either horn lens or will it be too much difference for a proper front stage to have the large "baby check" lens as the L/R's and the smaller horn for the center?

As to the subs...what's funny is the dealer isn't even sure what model subs they are as all they have is a small "JBL" sticker under the binding posts. He thought they were 4642's since they had dual 18's. Since I already have one 4642 I was going to get another for the opposite side of the room. When I saw them I was like...no...those definitely aren't 4642's. The ones he has look like a refrigerator turned on it's side.:)

I came home after seeing them and looked them up on JBL's website and saw that they were 4688's. He's got 4 of them. He may very well have some with the 12 or 15's and not even know it. He has a warehouse full of equipment pulled out of theaters. I could've looked around the place for hours.:p I'll ask him and see if he has the smaller 468x's.

Btw...he's also got four 4645a's(older drivers with rolled surround instead of accordian) that are in decent shape. Not sure on the drivers shape in those though. While looking at one I gently pushed the cone and there was practically no resistance when pushed. I'm not at all familiar with them so that may be the way they are.

Anyone ever hear of a Kentech(not sure of the spelling) powered sub with dual 18" woofers? He's got one of those also but I can't find any info on it.

Thanks again guys for all the info/help,
Ken

KenWH
05-01-2006, 05:53 PM
One more thing zilch,

How does the 4688 compare with my 4642? From what I can tell the 4642 more less was the replacement for the 4688. Would they work ok in the same room together and using the same parralleled signal or would it need different general eq'ing than my 4642?

Thanks again,
Ken

Zilch
05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
4688 requires no EQ, just low and high pass. Data sheet says you have to determine phasing empirically when mixing with other subs/systems.

My "dispersion" comment was a little joke relating specifically to the subs, not horns. Trust others' advice on the horns.... :p

Yes, please dig around and see if he has any of the 15" or 12" versions of the TCB subs. I've been trying to find some to document for a couple of years now....