PDA

View Full Version : JBL D120 F recone

DJ1
04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi all - newbie here I'm afraid!:)

I don't want to give up on this and write off my speaker, but I have a 65 Fender twin running two of these. They are gold series signature speakers - mid 60's grey baskets. The speaker in question is the better condition of the two, but it has voice coil rub - I take it that is a recone candidate? I doubt that anything can be done - how does the moving part distort in shape and again - I take it that to get to it means destroying the cone?

Where can I get a reasonably priced kit - I'm in the UK and could get one shipped from the US - I enquired over here and the only place wanted to charge like 3 times the cost of the whole original speaker and it was a black center - not an aluminium one. There must be some way ..help!

Harvey Gerst
04-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi all - newbie here I'm afraid!:)

I don't want to give up on this and write off my speaker, but I have a 65 Fender twin running two of these. They are gold series signature speakers - mid 60's grey baskets. The speaker in question is the better condition of the two, but it has voice coil rub - I take it that is a recone candidate? I doubt that anything can be done - how does the moving part distort in shape and again - I take it that to get to it means destroying the cone? First, look at the frame of the speaker. Are the screws tightened down so tight that the metal speaker frame is touching the wood baffle? If so, the speaker has been way overtightened and you're warping the metal frame. Try backing off on the screws and see if that makes it stop rubbing. You can also try removing the speakers and letting them sit face up for a week or so, to see if the cork/rubber caskets comes back to life.

If the rubbing is on the inside of the coil former (rubbing against the pole piece), you haven't damaged the speaker. It's probably caused by overtightening the screws, which warped the frame. and the coil is now rubbing. Try pressing on different parts of the frame to see if you can make the rubbing go away, then lightly tighten down the screws near the point where you stopped the rubbing.

How tight is tight? Use just your thumb and index finger on the screwdriver to turn it. When you can't turn the screw anymore, that's tight enough. The trick is to just "lightly tighten" the speaker down; there should be a large gap between the frame and the baffle board. The speaker gasket over time will fill in the voids and makes a good seal.

If the rubbing has caused some shorting in the voice coil windings on the outside (rubbing against the top plate), that's a bad thing and yeah, you'll need to have it reconed.