PDA

View Full Version : Altec Santana Tweeter

gonzp
04-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Good day all. This is my first post and first set of Altec speakers!!! I have recently aquired a very nice set of Santana speakers. Problem is, one of the tweeters does not work. I have taken the front cabinet off so that I could see the back of the driver to look for a loose wire or something simple. No luck there. The numbers stamped on the driver are 50 03 03108501 and 137 7304 N. How do I go about troubleshooting the problem with this tweeter? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You, Patrick

moldyoldy
04-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi, Patrick,
If you have an ohm meter, check for DC resistance (with the wires unhooked from the tweeter). Lacking that, swap the good one in place and test. If the tweeter's bad, it may be difficult to find an exact replacement. The 31085 is listed as non-repairable (throwaway), and was not one that Altec made themselves. The 137 7304 number indicates it was actually made by CTS in 1973. It was likely also used in speakers besides Altecs too though. A patient watch of vintage speakers on eBay might turn up an exact match, the 03108501 or 31085 number being the number to look for. Fisher, RCA, and other US brands often used CTS parts.

Mr. Widget
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Post a picture of your tweeter... it may ring a bell for one of us that may have one lying around. It's a long shot... but worth it.

Good Luck!

Widget

gonzp
04-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the quick reply's!! here are a few pictures

Mr. Widget
04-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Yep... that is the basic tweeter of the early 70's... keep an eye out on eBay. Virtually everyone had a model of speaker with that tweeter... you can barely see it through the masking fabric but they all have a yellowish orange phenolic ring around the cone/dome with that cut away for the VC leads.

You should be able to find a replacement. I believe there were a couple of sizes so you'll need the right one.

Widget

whizzer
04-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Is that, by any chance, the same tweeter that was used in the Altec 886a monitor?

moldyoldy
04-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Is that, by any chance, the same tweeter that was used in the Altec 886a monitor?

Not by part number, the 886A and B used a 30685, as did the 872A and B (Madrid), the 870A and B, and the 893A, B, and C (Corona).

It is, however, the same as in the 891A and V (bookshelf).

Both the 31085 and 30685 were 8 ohms.

gonzp
04-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Guys,
Thanks alot for the info. Now to find one or a pair:thmbsup:

One other question if I may. Would it be ok for me to post a wanted ad on the sight with my few post count? I am not a troller just coming onto the site to sell or buy. Thanks in advance.

Patrick

CONVERGENCE
04-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi there,

If you have a hard time finding the replacement on EBAY .You could try Fostex and replace both tweeters. First check the impedance with a ohm meter on the good one.

For 8 ohms

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/Dome-Tweeters.shtml

If you want 6 or 4 ohms there is a scandinavian company that makes those tweeters but they sound softer than Fostex.

That's my 2 cents or centimes worth.

CONVERGENCE
04-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi there,

I got some more info on Santana.

The Tweeter is in fact a 4" frame cone driver.
XO is 2500 HZ
45 watts
Impedance 8 ohms

Look at fostex full range 4 inch frame speakers.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/FE-E-Sigma-Series.shtml

gonzp
05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks to all :applaud: for their help and input in trying to help me repair/replace these tweeters.

audioJK
11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Hi. First time poster. Great site!! I am seeking the following - an alternate or exact item: I need this part, or similar, or source for this part - not sure if this cap is foil electrolytic or other, but on it is: NP TSI-7432 PA6NV100NPXTF (or P, not quite clear) 6uF - 100VNP. I suspect this is a 6uf 100V non-polarity cap - please correct me there if otherwise. I believe TSI is the manufacturer. I need to know if the cap was custom made for this tweeter or is a standard issue sort of thing. It goes on the 879A Santana speaker tweeter as is seen in a picture here that someone posted - by the way thank you very much for that. So let me know. Thanks in advance.

moldyoldy
11-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Non-polar indicates an electrolytic, but the cap pictured above is a film cap, and more likely the original. Poly or metal film would be preferable, easier to find, and about the same price unless you want to pay extra for magic. Parts Express or Antique Electronics Supply should have it, both ship quickly.

If your cap is a replacement, you might want to verify the uf value, as it may not be correct. 100V is fine, 50V would suffice.

audioJK
11-09-2006, 12:43 AM
The nomenclature on the cap is of the original - this cap was taken off the Santana speaker, tested and found bad - so seeking to find a replacement. Does seem that 100V is hard to find. 200V and 400V are the norm looking at what is at Parts Express. AudioCap is darned expensive, but Kimber Kap is reasonable. Any suggestions?

moldyoldy
11-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I'd go with these;

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=027-558

You can increase the voltage rating for film caps with no problem, electrolytics need to operate reasonably near rated voltage for longevity.