PDA

View Full Version : Control 30

Amok
04-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi all, newbie here. Did the mandatory search (veteran of other forums) but found nothing.:(
Would anyone care to comment on this model? http://www.jblpro.com/pages/install/Control_30/Ctrl30.pdf
I heard one under non-ideal circumstances and it peaked my interest. It seems rather unique to me with the coaxial mounted CD/alu cone mid. Almost more like a well executed studio monitor than an outdoor speaker!
Reminds me of the TAD home speakers (design approach, rather than sound) which are highly regarded. Thoughts appreciated...

- AJ

Amok
04-29-2006, 08:44 AM
None of you JBL fans have heard this model I huh? Well, thanks for looking anyway:) . Might want to give it a listen if available in your area. It's an interesting design IMHO.

- AJ

Zilch
04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
It's certainly sporting good specs, isn't it? Much is made of recent coaxial design efforts on the JBL Pro site, as well as cone driver midrange horns.

I've not heard these, but I have a bunch of different Control series systems running with various TV's around the house here. I'm tempted to try a pair of those next....

johnaec
04-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Little 2" voice coil on the 10" LF, though. 'Probably not quite the control compared to the 3" VC jobs...

John

CONVERGENCE
04-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I heard the JBL EON at an office party. I must say the mids were very loud
and covered the area quite well. The system was hooked up to a Yamaha powered mixer. The hall was all carpeted. I found the speakers fatiguing
after 1/2 hour. The sound is not HI FI. It's more of stringent type sound.

Anny way the model 30 coulldn't be better.

My 2 cents worth.

Zilch
04-29-2006, 03:48 PM
You mean "strident?"

Enlighten us as to the relationship between EON (which model?) and Control 30, please....

bonanzadave
04-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey A J, I'll give you my $.02 worth. I tried a search and looked for some feedback on a similar series with not much luck. SB210. I was replacing some blown drivers on my L100s and was so impresed by Akira's bass box addition that I figured I'd try something. Im not that crafty so I went looking for something a little more ready made. The polystyrene cabinets are not much to look at, but at over 40lbs they are solid. I had a budget price in mind and all subs I looked at did nothing for me. So... I bought the SB210. Brian at Rythmik audio got me a Plate amp that really moves this speaker. My L100s have never sounded better. Especially between 20-400Hz. So...go for it! Get the Control 30s and the SB210 even if they dont have walnut veneer. Now I need to mount this plate amp somewhere. Pictures? Tell me how.

CONVERGENCE
04-29-2006, 04:27 PM
That was a few years back. The model I couldn't tell. They were the big ones mounted on tripods. Yes (strident) is the word thank you. I noticed this also on vacation in the south. The hotel manager kept changing the band every 2 nights. He was not satisfied with their performance. I sat at the dining table and watched them set up and every band had JBL . They all sounded strident ;these were rear loaded . Someting wrong cause I heard in the 70's professional signers from France with JBL's next to the proceniums and the sound was loud but perfect.I think more DJ's and amateur groups must learn how to Eq and adjust with RTA the sound before performing.

Amok
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm the only one who's actually heard them:) .
Dave, ironically, not only am I also interested in the SB210 (I e-mailed JBL last week about the drivers T/S parameters), but I've used two of Brian Dings servo subs for the last few years. They are terrific. Easily the equal of subs several times their price.
Convergence, I've heard the Eons on many occasions at beach bars, etc. and for that type of setting, they appear to work quite well. However, the Control 30 is quite a different animal, I don't think your comparison is too valid. If you give the Control 30 a listen you may see why.
Bottom line is that I have already ordered the coax mid/tweets and depending on the T/S for the SB210 woofers, may have an all JBL driver main panel for my summer project. Thanks again.

- AJ

Zilch
05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Bottom line is that I have already ordered the coax mid/tweets and depending on the T/S for the SB210 woofers, may have an all JBL driver main panel for my summer project. Thanks again.Well, don't forget us, AJ.

We NEED to know how it ALL sounds.... :thmbsup: