Steve K
04-27-2006, 12:38 AM
FYI

From Harman International Japan website,

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/projectarray.html

They're on the market now.

4313B
04-27-2006, 04:23 AM
Here too. We watched them being assembled at Northridge. I believe Rob Patton has a demo pair.

Steve K
04-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Have anyone had a chance to hear them? How do they compare sonically to the 'older' stuff? I saw them, too, at an import audio fair in Tokyo a couple of months back, but they were just on display, not wired for listening.

hapy._.face
04-27-2006, 06:52 AM
http://www.stassen.nl/stassen/produkten.php?artikel=Luidsprekers&pagina=8

Scroll down- prices in Euro.

I think the project array's are likely to blow away "the big monitors". I can't wait to hear them myself. If they are as good as I think they are- I'm ready to fork coin. I need to own a good benchmark....;)

I just wonder which ones do the best with the subs- 800, 1000 or the 1400? I notice each one in the series uses a completely different midrange compression driver, too. No 435Be's, just 435Al's.. :(

4313B
04-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Have anyone had a chance to hear them?I listened to the protoypes as well as a pair of 800 Arrays.
They are keepers.
How do they compare sonically to the 'older' stuff?They're better in pretty much every respect. I suppose one might prefer the visual design of the older rectangular box systems.

spkrman57
04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
I suppose one might prefer the visual design of the older rectangular box systems.

And even if JBL drivers were ugly, they sound so good I don't care!:p

Really, sometimes I wish I had a plexiglass cabinet so the drivers could be viewed all around, not just the fronts!:D

I hope I am fortunate enough to at least hear a pair(arrays) for the experience as I don't know when I could ever afford a pair for myself!

Plus the "arrays" are just another plus for the horn lovers like myself out there!

Ron

4313B
04-27-2006, 08:54 AM
http://www.stassen.nl/stassen/produkten.php?artikel=Luidsprekers&pagina=8

Scroll down- prices in Euro.

I think the project array's are likely to blow "the big monitors" away. I can't wait to hear them myself. If they are as good as I think they are- I'm ready to fork coin. I need to own a good benchmark....;)

I just wonder which ones do the best with the subs- 800, 1000 or the 1400?Well I suspect many would find something like a 4333 or 4343 as having more WOW factor than an 800 or 1000 Array. As Greg has stated, the 1400 Array is extremely effortless and dynamic. While it might not have the WOW factor of the largest 4345, 4355 or 4435, the entire package is roughly 20 years better from an engineering and auditory standpoint. I can imagine some people definitely finding the Array Series right up their alley. I can also imagine other people being thoroughly content with what they already have. Whatever works.

4313B
04-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Plus the "arrays" are just another plus for the horn lovers like myself out there!Now that's something, I don't recall getting any feedback from any horn lovers with respect to the Array Series. We need to get some horn lovers impressions.

hapy._.face
04-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Well I suspect many would find something like a 4333 or 4343 as having more WOW factor than an 800 or 1000 Array.

Understandable; It is limited by it's own physical size. Personally- I don't exactly like being hit over the head with sonics. "Open", "effortless", "natural"- now those are my kind of words when describing speakers!! I don't want to hear my speakers at all, if you know what I mean. As you stated- 'whatever works'.

About the horns- it would appear the array's are the anti-horn from a traditional horn lover's standpoint. Horn's definately have signatures- albeit pleasing ones at times. From what I've read- the array sounds like nothing at all. I love the 2435 which is more or less a pro version of the 435Be. I don't care what anyone says- it sounds absolutely wonderful when bolted to a 2397. In fact- it is all of those above words- "Open", "effortless", "natural". I imagine that when integrated into a sonoglass horn with the other drivers working in the pocket- it disappears. cool :)

jim3860
04-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Have anyone had a chance to hear them? How do they compare sonically to the 'older' stuff? I saw them, too, at an import audio fair in Tokyo a couple of months back, but they were just on display, not wired for listening. WOW I hope they sound good because imho they are without a doubt the ugliest speakers i have ever set my eyes upon:p Of course i would marry a woman that could really cook no matter how hard she was to look at:jawdrop: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mr. Widget
04-27-2006, 10:29 AM
WOW I hope they sound good because imho they are without a doubt the ugliest speakers i have ever set my eyes upon:p I go back and forth on that one... at times I think they are interesting looking and at times I don't like them... I think we'll have to see them in person to really judge their visual quality.

Personally I am sooo bored with another walnut rectangle I am glad JBL is exploring alternatives... they could have put a lampshade on top like Vandersteen, the old ESS, and may others have done.

Widget

Don McRitchie
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Let me see if I can explain the design philosophy in an understandable manner. The heart of the design regards attributes of constant directivity horns. For background on their design, I suggest you look up David Smith’s excellent explanation here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/4430-35.htm

His description largely regards how the complex, compound geometry for the wall contours controls polar response in the horizontal plane. Polar response in the vertical plane is controlled by a diffraction slot. What Greg Timbers discovered is that the diffraction slot is more effective in maintaining uniform polar and amplitude response in the vertical plane than the compound geometry is in maintaining uniform response in the horizontal plane. This is why he flipped the horn 90 degrees in comparison to the horizontal configuration used in the K2 series. Since critical listening is done from a relatively narrow height range (corresponding to the ear height of seated listeners), Greg recognized that the limitations in uniform response in the vertical plane was not nearly as significant as uniformity in the horizontal plane. Thus having the superior control attributes of the diffraction slot operating in the horizontal plane made the most sense.

I had the chance to listen to the Array 800 and it does work as intended. It has a very smooth response through the critical midrange. More importantly to me, I thought it imaged significantly better than the standard Bi-radial designs. In fact, I’ve always considered imaging to be a weakness of horns in general, but not with this system. However, there is a trade-off. These horns have limited horizontal dispersion. This probably aids in their imaging and neutral response since sidewall reflections are greatly mitigated. However, it also means that it has a narrow sweet spot. I found that minor movements off centre caused the image to collapse.

I can’t comment too much on bass response since there were placement problems in both listening rooms where I heard it. The first room had the system hooked up to the Array sub and it was generating serious room modes. The second room had the system stand alone, but it was gaining a bit of a mid bass bump due to room effects. The bass driver was well integrated with the horn so that overall response was very coherent and the transition through the cross-over was seamless. Overall, I would think that the bass response in an optimized room would be quite good, but certainly not that extended given its size and design intent. If you want true full range response, you would either need a sub or opt for the larger Array models.

4313B
04-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Now, if we can just get someone to fix the throat of the 2344A we won't be needing to flip anything anywhere... :applaud:

Actually I think Widget could build a proper 2344A out of wood.

Thanks Don! :)

Steve K
04-27-2006, 06:42 PM
WOW I hope they sound good because imho they are without a doubt the ugliest speakers i have ever set my eyes upon:p Of course i would marry a woman that could really cook no matter how hard she was to look at:jawdrop: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Wouldn't you rather marry a beautiful woman and send her to the best cooking school?:bouncy:
But then again loudspeakers are a different story...can't really teach them to sound better than their potential, can we? One thing for sure is that these new Arrays look pretty darn impressive.
Guess I'll just have to audition them for sound quality. I'm sure some of the specialty audio stores in town will hold demo sessions soon.

Shane Shuster
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
For anyone that has heard them do they sound as big and larger than life compaired to A-5s or the bigger horn rigs? Are they more for the guys who like cones and want more dynamics or are they for the guys who like a large wavelaunch with minimal excursion?

johnaec
04-28-2006, 03:53 AM
However, it also means that it has a narrow sweet spot. I found that minor movements off centre caused the image to collapse.Bummer. I was afraid of this. I was really hoping JBL had come up with a solution to this in the throat design or something.

John

4313B
04-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Bummer. I was afraid of this. I was really hoping JBL had come up with a solution to this in the throat design or something.

JohnI'm not real sure fear is of value here. I think you need to listen to a pair and form your own conclusions.

Chas
04-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Wouldn't you rather marry a beautiful woman and send her to the best cooking school?:bouncy:

Wait a minute - according to my wife, I can't teach her anything!:p

hapy._.face
04-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Is sonoglass a proprietary material exclusive to Harmon/JBL? ....some sort of fiberglass, I presume?

Mr. Widget
04-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Is sonoglass a proprietary material exclusive to Harmon/JBL? ....some sort of fiberglass, I presume?It may be proprietary... I doubt it. I expect it is a trademark though. I'd guess it is a glass filled injection moldable resin. The H9800 horns are fairly dense. I'd guess there is quite a bit of glass or silica content.

Widget

Titanium Dome
04-29-2006, 09:44 PM
SONOGLASS® is the sound proof glass product of Nippon Sheet Glass (NSG).

SonoGlass is a trademark of Harman International for its inert resin-based, highly rigid material.

Whether one has anything to do with the other I couldn't say.