PDA

View Full Version : Idea for empty 4315 cabs

pelly3s
04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
So I recently received a pair of 4315 cabs off of one of our kind members, and I have been trying to think of what to do with them. I was going to hunt the orginal parts down and rebuild them (i know high hopes lol) So the past day I was thinking using some new drivers and keeping the 2405 the only orginal peice in the system. So the system would be

252G
708G
C500G

Now I have also thought that the 2405 might be hard to math with those parts and I was wondering want everyones thoughts were for the whole plan.

the crossover is far from my mind right now in the plans I will figure that out sometime soon

DavidF
04-28-2006, 08:15 PM
So I recently received a pair of 4315 cabs off of one of our kind members, and I have been trying to think of what to do with them. I was going to hunt the orginal parts down and rebuild them (i know high hopes lol) So the past day I was thinking using some new drivers and keeping the 2405 the only orginal peice in the system. So the system would be

252G
708G
C500G

Now I have also thought that the 2405 might be hard to math with those parts and I was wondering want everyones thoughts were for the whole plan.

the crossover is far from my mind right now in the plans I will figure that out sometime soon

Suggest you look at parts that will fit in on the baffle. This gives you the option of replacing with original components if they do turn up later. As for woofer it has to be a 12" (though I am tempted to think the LE14H-1- with modification to the baffle- would be a winner for this application). The 128H-1 is around and still repairable. Good bass performance in that volume but lacks the same bass-to-mid performance of the 2203. Still, it should fit in both the baffle and with the original xover with little tweeking, if any is needed at all. The 2118H seems logical to replace the 2108. I can't say for sure but they may fit the 2108 mounting profile as is. Some definate tweek of the bandpass xover but perhaps not to radical. Why not stick with the 2105H? Seem to be plenty around, it does reach up to the 2405 and is the original component.

DavidF

NewZenith
04-28-2006, 09:32 PM
[quote=pelly3s]So I recently received a pair of 4315 cabs off of one of our kind members, and I have been trying to think of what to do with them. I was going to hunt the orginal parts down and rebuild them (i know high hopes lol) So the past day I was thinking using some new drivers and keeping the 2405 the only orginal peice in the system. So the system would be

252G
708G
C500G

the crossover is far from my mind right now in the plans I will figure that out sometime soon[/quot

Hello PELLY3, I may be able to help you fill out those nice little 4315 speakers. I have a pair of 112A's that may be up for grabs soon, plus I have a bunch of new old stock T030 dome midrange drivers which could be used for the upper mids, if not and you want to stick with the more user-friendly cone job I suggest the 104-2, easy to find and they sound great for the money. I like the thought of the LE14 bass driver as a substitute for the original. It would be very interesting and dynamic speaker so long as you had the right crossover to make it all jive. As far as the 2118 going in the hole for the 2108, it's a direct plug-and-play. I suggest finding the right midbass because the 112/2108 will noticeably outperform the 2118, although JBL lists the 2118 as the acoustic equivalent of the 2108 units. If I remember correctly you have a repair shop? if so this may work out very well for both of us, I live fairly close to you so we could meet up if you're interested in some drivers. I also have a decent set of 108H sitting around. Anyhow good luck and feel free to give me a PM if you're interested.

NewZenith.

pelly3s
04-29-2006, 01:08 PM
I was hoping to take a more creative approach to the situation at hand and see how it turns out. I wanted to use a 252G mainly for the motor design and the LSR6332 have great low end response. The c500g I have found to be more accurate than the 2105 or 104h. I know the 708G isnt sonically the same as a 112 but my goal. I know in the end I could buy the 6332 for what its going to cost me to build this setup but I wanted to make an attempt at a 4 way system.

NewZenith I will keep you in mind about the drivers though

johnaec
04-29-2006, 01:16 PM
If the 708G is anything like the smaller 706G-1 they're great little speakers. Also, have you considered the 116H-1? 'Bolt circle is the same as the original.

John

pelly3s
04-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I thought of the 116H-1 too but I never found it to be a very accurate driver. I could just be my opinion. Anyone ever compaired a 116h-1 to a 708g

johnaec
04-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Anyone ever compaired a 116h-1 to a 708gI'll try to do it later this week - I've got the perfect candidates, a pair of L5's and a pair of L60T's. Both cabinets are about the same size, and both are 2-way using 035'Ti(A?) for the HF. I'll have to take a look to see how the crossovers compare.

If the 708/116 comparison is similar to the 115/706 comparison, I might give a little edge to the 70X series, since the magnets appear to be slightly larger.

I've really been out of it for most the past week with a bum back, so I'm really behind in things, but I'll try to fit in a comparison towards the end of the week.

John