PDA

View Full Version : JBL/UREI

Ducatista47
04-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I have been messing around with two JBL/UREI amps for a couple of months, and I really like them. They seem very much more Hi-fi than sound reinforcement quality to me. I will take Subwoof's word for it that they are the most solidly built solid state amps ever, they sure look like it. I have a 6260 and a 6290. The 6260 is feeding the 2245H's in my 4345's right now and it is a marriage made in heaven. They have to be the most conservatively rated ss amps on the planet. Since bi-amping connects the low pass amp directly to the voice coil, none of the damping is wasted and it sounds like over a thousand factor to me. At least the "over 200" claimed.

A neat feature is the full complementary output (PNP/NPN). This skips the usual phase inverter stage, I think, making a straighter and cleaner signal path.

I was wondering what other members think about these units, and this line in general. I was also curious if they are plentiful or scarce.

Maybe this should be on the Related Gear thread, but they are JBL's!:)

Thanks, Clark

Zilch
04-24-2006, 11:08 PM
6230 and 6260 are the lab standard here, running all day every day. I've never owned 6290, 'cause I don't need to mess with the fan. Any amp with two power switches is overkill by design for my needs. If I ever need that much power, I figure I can use a pair of bridged 60's.

They are plentiful on eBay, in the $100 to $150 range, typically, though they've been going for more of late. Curiously, the 30's often get bid up higher than the 60's. I like the versions with 4-in-line speaker binding posts better than the quad cluster, 'cause I'm switching leads often here. No biggie.

The most recent one I bought, I had to repair. Some incompetent tech without a 'scope failed to recognize there was a bunch of ripple on the +/- 15V supplies and stuck some capacitors in the standby/clipping circuit to make it work. $3.00 at Radio Shack for a couple of new filter caps, and Mr. Widget has it now for "Critical Listening." ;)

I'm saying, not only do I like them as amps, they are also quite serviceable. Be aware that the XLR connections are reverse polarity from AES standard, while the TRS are not.

[It ain't that we don't deal with that all the time with JBL, tho.... :p ]

Ducatista47
04-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Thank you , Zilch. I was pretty curious because they seem to be such desirable units, but I see little or no mention of them on the forums.

Considering the brand, I figured interest would be high given the quality, and the bulletproof construction and design. It is not like the subject of amps never comes up here. To me they sound as good as anything I have heard lately, but with a lot more headroom.

Of course, I pick amps by how they work. I am not interested in how cool they look or what collectors might think, just what I hear.

Clark in Peoria

JBL Dog
04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I have been messing around with two JBL/UREI amps for a couple of months, and I really like them. They seem very much more Hi-fi than sound reinforcement quality to me. I will take Subwoof's word for it that they are the most solidly built solid state amps ever, they sure look like it. I have a 6260 and a 6290. The 6260 is feeding the 2245H's in my 4345's right now and it is a marriage made in heaven. They have to be the most conservatively rated ss amps on the planet. Since bi-amping connects the low pass amp directly to the voice coil, none of the damping is wasted and it sounds like over a thousand factor to me. At least the "over 200" claimed.

A neat feature is the full complimentary output (PNP/NPN). This skips the usual phase inverter stage, I think, making a straighter and cleaner signal path.

I was wondering what other members think about these units, and this line in general. I was also curious if they are plentiful or scarce.

Maybe this should be on the Related Gear thread, but they are JBL's!:)

Thanks, Clark

Clark:

I have a couple of the 6290's I've used professionally. Outstanding quality but they weigh a ton. I took them out of service in favor of the 21 lbs. QSC PLX3402. As mentioned, the fan may be an issue for hi-fi apps.

The 6290 may be the best eBay value out there @ under $300.

Ducatista47
04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Clark:

I have a couple of the 6290's I've used professionally. Outstanding quality but they weigh a ton. I took them out of service in favor of the 21 lbs. QSC PLX3402. As mentioned, the fan may be an issue for hi-fi apps.

The 6290 may be the best eBay value out there @ under $300.
The fan is why I'm not using mine right now, but I am working on it. If I get my 5.1 all JBL system going I don't think the fan will be noticed there. And.. I have a cabinet that might work...

I hope this encourages some members who like SS to get in on this steal. I can not imagine what these would cost to build today. I honestly am not sure if any manufacture goes to the expense of full complementary output these days. Glad to know it is not just me. These JBL's sound great. And yes, at 63 pounds they are heavy.

Clark

Mr. Widget
04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you , Zilch. I was pretty curious because they seem to be such desirable units, but I see little or no mention of them on the forums.Are you kidding? :applaud:

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-25-2006, 07:46 PM
:wasnt-me:

Sorry Zilch... couldn't help myself.... you know, you keep bugging me to give the darn thing a listen.... :wave:

OK... I promise, I'll give your amp a serious listen in the next week or two... throw mud at me if I don't...
I'll certainly second the comment about these things being heavy... I believe Zilch's amp that I have downstairs is the mid-sized amp, the 6260... and for 100-150wpc amp it is a tank.

Widget

Ducatista47
04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
My apologies, Mr. Widget, I must have, as usual, been looking for love in all the wrong places.

The 6260 is "only" 44.5 pounds. 150 watts rms/channel 8 ohms (typically for the brand, 300 watts into 4 ohms, all very conservatively rated). Combined with the 2245H in my big boxes, I find it a muscular yet refined instrument. Da woofer don't do notin' unless he tell it to... It is the dead opposite of my tube amps, sonically speaking.

If bass accuracy is your thing, just the ticket.

Thanks once again, Clark

Mr. Widget
04-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I was just being a smart ass... if you do search for 6260 you will find countless posts... and they aren't all from Zilch.;) On a couple of them... I posted that I did use Zilch's loaner 6260 as a sub amp and thought it was quite competent... I wasn't blown away by it, but then I wasn't disappointed either... I am not sure any amp would blow me away as a sub amp... the 6260 definitely did run out of steam in that application... I normally use an amp with twice it's rating.

Widget

Zilch
04-25-2006, 11:05 PM
I was just being a smart ass....

Looks like "Test Ride" was locked there.

Now, THAT's funny!!!!

:D

Ducatista47
04-25-2006, 11:16 PM
... the 6260 definitely did run out of steam in that application... I normally use an amp with twice it's rating.
Widget
Like the 6290:D

I know you listen way louder than I do.:)

My app is 30-290hz, in a 95 db/watt/meter box, music only, no Hollywood earthquakes.

Clark

Mr. Widget
04-25-2006, 11:28 PM
I know you listen way louder than I do.:)Maybe... typical average SPL is 85dB... peaks can be 10dB higher on occasion much higher. The "little" 6260 was certainly adequate 95% of the time... I just happen to like infinite headroom.:D

Widget

Mr. Widget
04-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Like the 6290:DEven though I may listen loudly at times... I still listen carefully and can't stand fans... yes, I can hear them.:applaud:

Widget

Ducatista47
04-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Me too. I'm going to mount my 6290 on the other side of the wall, I think. Here that would be the basement.

Clark

subwoof
04-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Greetings from key west...

I am just finishing an install and will have 5 6290's waiting for me when I get back to NY. I am going to redesign the fan circuit with some low noise variable DC types and hope to make them super quiet.

I'll post the results in about 2 weeks and if it works well, will be selling all 5 of them to offset the gas money I spent to get here.

:cheers:

sub

Zilch
04-29-2006, 10:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=7409227617&id=&sasel=

Perhaps this forum member will report his findings.... ;)

Ducatista47
04-29-2006, 10:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:112&item=7409227617&id=&sasel=

Perhaps this forum member will report his findings.... ;)
$113.50? I would have broken my arm getting the money out of my pocket! What a great deal.:applaud:

Clark

Zilch
04-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Indeed.

We are but potted palms, quite obviously.

[No upscale panache, no blue-light cachet.... :p ]

grumpy
04-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Findings? What do you want to know? I expect it will sound a lot like the
6260s I'm currently running, but with less headroom. Believe they use the
same Sanken output devices, just less of 'em, lower power supply voltage,
less room heating, :blah: ... Hasn't arrived yet.

'fraid I don't understand the potted plant comment. Happy to reply where
and when I can.

Cheers,

-grumpy

Zilch
04-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Gumpy.

I THOUGHT I recalled you already had one or more of them.

Was gonna score another, 'til I saw it was you biddin'. ;)

Glad you got it; that looks like a particularly clean one.... :thmbsup:

grumpy
04-29-2006, 07:12 PM
well thanks for holding off :). I had just missed the 6215 earlier (headphone
output would have been handy) and was pleasantly surprised to have won
the 6230 which I hope to use on the top end for biamped system trials.

-grumpy

Mr. Widget
04-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Hey Zilch... is it classified info or could you tell us how many of these you are hoarding?

I still owe your amp a good listen... I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Widget

Zilch
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey Zilch... is it classified info or could you tell us how many of these you are hoarding?Four each 6230 and 6260, plus a coupla thrashed ones for repair. ;)

Seems they either live protected lives in studio or install racks, or are "beaters" from live or road use. Many of the used ones come in like NIB except for minor rack rash on the ears.

There's a fella here local makes beautiful wood cabinets for them, but I've never sprung for the $100+ per to sample one.

04-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey Zilch... is it classified info or could you tell us how many of these you are hoarding?

Widget

that auction, but thought it would go higher. And as the new job still has not paid my invoices (after 7 weeks!), I am holding off... I did buy some 2344's last week that went un-noticed here, only a few bucks more (BIN) than the cracked pair that had been "repaired":barf: from the week before... Should be here next week. Still a little shy on the power amp front...

Zilch
04-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I did buy some 2344's last week that went un-noticed here....Whatcha gonna BUILD, Mike?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92383&postcount=417

With David's boxes, you're just a coupla simple crossovers away from L200t3's, looks like.

[Hee, hee....]

04-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Whatcha gonna BUILD, Mike?
Well, I have 2420's with D8R2425 inside, and I'm looking for blown 2225's.:p Once I have the cores I'll be looking for a re-cone shop next. Already made some blank cards for the 5235 too. Sounds like???

I'm thinking 204G for the L112 tower boxes, they have the original mids and tweets in 'em now and my wife has already decided to keep them as LF-RF, just need a center to get the front right.

I hit Southern Lumber today for some MDF, gonna build a Centregon...;)

Zilch
04-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Well, I have 2420's with D8R2425 inside, and I'm looking for blown 2225's.:p Once I have the cores I'll be looking for a re-cone shop next. Already made some blank cards for the 5235 too. Sounds like???Sounds like maybe you might want to come up here for a little listen. :yes:

How 'bout these, north of Fresno:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-L200-L-200-Speaker-Cabinets-Cheap-NR_W0QQitemZ9720294765QQcategoryZ61377QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2344(A)'s will just fit.

And your reconer is right here in Berkeley, of course.... :)

05-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Sounds like maybe you might want to come up here for a little listen. :yes:

How 'bout these, north of Fresno:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-JBL-L200-L-200-Speaker-Cabinets-Cheap-NR_W0QQitemZ9720294765QQcategoryZ61377QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2344(A)'s will just fit.

And your reconer is right here in Berkeley, of course.... :)

I think the high bidder is the guy that's sending me the 2344's... Is that a LH member?

Forgot to mention to D8R2420's I have, (very old, but never abused,,, much.)

Oh, and the pair of 2223H frames. I need a bit more height to hold up the Centregon. The L112 towers are about 10" short... Maybe I should make some modular boxes so if the cheeks fail the WAF test I can just bring in the 2312/2308 + 2405 box, no fuss...

An Authorized reconer in Berkeley? I thought I would have to deal with the hemphea,,, er, _hempcone_ guys on the other side of the bridge... The ones that sold me Waldom kits all those years ago. Hint: A double layer of round wire is a seriously BAD idea in a gap designed for edgewound flat wire... Slinky anyone? :barf:The JBL cone not only played all day at the beach, but it ran well past sundown, something the Waldom did not... As the sun went lower it eventually fell on the cones, about an hour later the spider actually caught fire! Nothing quite like the mixture of bar-b-q and Waldom flambe to get the ole tastebuds working!

So far I have managed to burn out precisely one Genuine JBL coil, make that two, both due to stupidity on my part. Another hint: DC passes VERY well through a DC300, rotating the attenuator up and down a few times makes for some NICE smoke rings too!:blink:

Zilch
05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Cheeks fit behind the grilles in L200 cabs.

Time alignment's not perfect, but WAF's not at issue....

Ducatista47
05-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Four each 6230 and 6260, plus a coupla thrashed ones for repair. ;)
Seems they either live protected lives in studio or install racks, or are "beaters" from live or road use. Many of the used ones come in like NIB except for minor rack rash on the ears.

A heads up, the examples Subwoof comes up with are from installs and studios. Mine are in like new shape. I mention this because of his upcoming offers and his ability to find these almost at will.

Clark

Mr. Widget
05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Maybe he has a truffle pig that is trained to sniff out these amps?

Widget

Tom Loizeaux
05-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Yes, I feel these are very reliable and affordable amps. They are convection cooled and built to pro standards. I don't think they are powerful enough for sound reinforcement work, but are probably best suited for studio playback or home listening applications.
I have moved to Crown PS amps, only because I find them slightly more detailed and with almost no background noise.

Tom

Ducatista47
05-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Maybe he has a truffle pig that is trained to sniff out these amps?

Widget
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

As I have said before, Subwoof is a very interesting fellow. Anyone in need of his professional services should know he is in New York state, finger lakes region, but he does road trips for major installations. When he upgrades studios, venues and commercial installations he obtains some interesting leftovers. I imagine his stock of Crowns will impress anyone.

Clark

subwoof
05-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I am on the road with some 6290's - see the marketplace forum for details....

:cheers:

sub

05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Cheeks fit behind the grilles in L200 cabs.

Time alignment's not perfect, but WAF's not at issue....
Actually, WAF's NOT a factor!:applaud:

The 2344's came today so I bolted on my 2420's. Hooked one up using the 800Hz flat-front cards in my 5235 for a listen 2-way. Then I mounted it onto my 2123H test box. After wiring up another XO to drive the 10 from 300 to 800 I had the wife give it a listen. After showing her how you had to be right in front of the 2385 to hear the cymbals, but you could still hear them from the 2344, she "got" it...:D (One advantage of being married to an engineer, if it's technically better, it IS better, even if it doesn't look it!)

I left the other one on top of the L112 tower as a visual aid, it's at the final height and position relative to the screen, so if there's any residual rejection factors, I'll hear about it before they get built...;)

Zilch
05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Always a peasure to see another speaker design laboratory in operation!

[Heh, heh.... :p ]

Mr. Widget
05-05-2006, 01:10 PM
...another speaker design laboratory... You're awfully nutty Zilch!

But you are right, messing around with speakers is a real kick!:thmbsup:

Widget

Zilch
05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
"I set up your amp and did an A/B comparison between it and a Hafler P3000. They are superficially similar amps. They are both rated at 150wpc into 8 ohms and 300wpc into 4 ohms and are air cooled. They both are also both targeted at the pro market with balanced inputs."

"The Urei had a punchy sound but it was more closed in and sounded a bit megaphone-like in comparison to the Hafler. The Urei wasn't as hard and transistory sounding as many of the Japanese receivers and basic power amps I have heard from Pioneer, Sansui et al, but it tended toward that sound."

"I would expect someone who was used to that type of sound would find it an improvement and would enjoy the punchy sound, however someone who liked the more detailed and transparent sound of some of the best solid state and tube amps would find it hard to listen to."