PDA

View Full Version : Copy/Paste in Replies

johnaec
04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
There's a strange anomoly when replying to posts. Say that you use the "Quote" button for a reply, but want to copy or cut and then paste different parts around in the reply. So you highlight the text you want to copy or cut, but <right-click> -> Copy or Cut isn't an option, (like it is in all other editing programs) - you have to use Ctrl-C to copy instead. The <right-click> -> Paste option is there, just not the Copy or Cut option. <Right-click> -> Copy works in all other areas of the forum, just not when in the Reply operation.

It isn't a big deal using Ctrl-C to copy, but is there any way to enable these functions in the pop-up context menus when replying? Other forums I visit that are also using vBulletin have this enabled - it's only the LH site where this doesn't work.

Thanks for looking into this - John

boputnam
04-21-2006, 06:07 PM
The "right click" function is seeing the Quote area as your browser page, not as text, per se. This is the same as for new messages/replies. Right-click outside the text box and you'll see the options are the same. The only reason you were seeing a "Paste" was because you had something already on your Clipboard.

So, this doesn't answer your question but explains the symptoms better. I don't know if this is vB version specific, IE browser related or vB option related.

johnaec
04-21-2006, 06:21 PM
The "right click" function is seeing the Quote area as your browser page, not as text, per se.If you're able to highlight text, that is what the context menu should be focused on - see below from another forum. That forum is on vBulletin 3.5.2 - I really doubt they'd delete such a normal function in the LH version 3.5.4 - it has to be a setting in the forum software somewhere. BTW - I'm on Win2K and IE 6 with all the latest patches and updates.

John

boputnam
04-21-2006, 06:44 PM
If you're able to highlight text, that is what the context menu should be focused on :dont-know

It the same as it's always been for me, here. I've not been so active on too many other forums, and haven't noticed. I've never seen the dialogue box you posted.

I am SO sheltered... :o:

johnaec
04-21-2006, 07:05 PM
It the same as it's always been for me, here.You know what's weird - if you click on a smilie in a reply, (like I just did to yours), it *does* give you the Copy/Cut option. Reply-Quote me here, and see for yourself on this one: :hyp: It's only not working on text. I also think it used to work before a recent upgrade in forum software, because I'm sure it used to work here, or I would have noticed it long ago...

John

Don McRitchie
04-22-2006, 08:09 AM
This seems to be a limitation of the WYSIWYG editor. The problem doesn't occur with the standard editor. Therefore, another work around is to switch ediitors. This can be done on a per post basis by clicking on the http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/editor/switchmode.gif icon at the top right of the editing window or making the standard editor the default in the UserCP settings.