PDA

View Full Version : HLA (Horn-Loaded Array) Series loudspeakers in my Livingroom?

Toms Studio
04-21-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi,

maybe i have the chance to buy 2 HLA Series Speakers for a cheap price.
The Speakers: 2254J, 2251J, 2451SL are very good but the Horn just have 40 degrees horizontally by 30 degrees vertically.
So can i use them in my Livingroom? Its about 6 x 4 Meters.

What you think?

Tom

mikebake
04-21-2006, 04:38 AM
I don't recommend it, but they'd be great for a backyard party!

Toms Studio
04-21-2006, 04:49 AM
I don't recommend it, but they'd be great for a backyard party!
Thanks Mike.
Maybe i can change the Horn from the 2451. When i use a 2352 Horn, the Dispersion is 90° x 40°.

Zilch
04-21-2006, 10:21 AM
2352 certrainly plays well in a space just slightly larger than yours here.

Check the spec sheets for any differences in compensation required:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/23525354.htm#2352

Don McRitchie
04-21-2006, 10:33 AM
I actually heard one HLA speaker and sub in a closed room of around 10 m x 7m. It was overkill. I'd never heard anything that loud anywhere ever and left after a few seconds. I came back later when it was playing at a more reasonable level. The sound was certainly not what I would consider to be hi-fi, which is not surprising considering that was never the design intent. Personally, I would never want something like this in my home even if I had the space and no neighbors for miles. However, to each his own.

Toms Studio
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I actually heard one HLA speaker and sub in a closed room of around 10 m x 7m. It was overkill. I'd never heard anything that loud anywhere ever and left after a few seconds. I came back later when it was playing at a more reasonable level. The sound was certainly not what I would consider to be hi-fi, which is not surprising considering that was never the design intent. Personally, I would never want something like this in my home even if I had the space and no neighbors for miles. However, to each his own.
Hi Don,
thanks you very mutch for your report. Very interesting.
I think to use the HLA Speakers in my house, because i read mutch about this Speakers and in the Homepage from JBL the Users talk about it.

You can read there: The system worked out really well: it sounds more like a large studio monitor than a PA speaker.

Because of this i think maybe use in my House.
But after your Report i have to think.
Thanks again.
I find a Pair of 4350 too but they are more expensive.

Guido
04-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Tom!

Does your avatar show your setup at home? If so, what the heck you'll need an HLA for ???

Mr. Widget
04-22-2006, 03:26 PM
...You can read there: The system worked out really well: it sounds more like a large studio monitor than a PA speaker....
I find a Pair of 4350 too but they are more expensive.Ah... the 4350... the Studio Monitor that sounds almost like a PA speaker...:uhmmmm:

Widget

mikebake
04-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Ah... the 4350... the Studio Monitor that sounds almost like a PA speaker...:uhmmmm:

Widget

:applaud: :rotfl: