PDA

View Full Version : My newly purchased 250ti classic's need an Amp

AdamimAdam
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
My current budget/wife is $1000 or less, Im looking at a Hafler DH-500 as my first quality Amp achievable right now, any Naysayers?

Rolf
04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Do I understand you right that you have bought a pair of 250ti?

AdamimAdam
04-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Goin on my second week of ownership. I paid a total of $2850 with shipping and even though they're not minty they're perfect. The Hafler DH-500 for around $4-500 is on the horizon as my first serious amp. So far no naysayers

hapy._.face
04-21-2006, 07:24 AM
$1,000.00 you say? I've said it so many times, but I am really partial to the stasis based amps. Look into used Thresholds or Nakamichi's badged "stasis". The PA 5/6/7 is a killer amp for the money. Most of the older Thresholds will sing loud and clear with ample detail. They run hot, so give them some breathing room.

Ken Pachkowsky
04-21-2006, 07:59 AM
I have owned several Hafler DH-500's and always enjoyed them. They have a great overall sound. You could do much worse.

There is no doubt a Threshold is a step above in build/sound quality, but you will need the 1000 to find out "if you can find one".

Ken

oznob
04-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I ran my 250's with two NAD 218THX amps bridged. I did, for a time, run them with a single 218 and it was an awesome combination! They can be found on ebay and audiogon for $500 to $800. I also have used Hafler's and feel the NAD more a more refined amp and dead quiet!

AdamimAdam
04-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I have owned several Hafler DH-500's and always enjoyed them. They have a great overall sound. You could do much worse.

There is no doubt a Threshold is a step above in build/sound quality, but you will need the 1000 to find out "if you can find one".

Ken
I found only one threshhold in like the whole world:blink: I like it but Im supposed to wait until christmas for that much money, I can get away with 5-600 now and I think a Nad218thx is less then an hour away from my house:applaud:

gerard
04-21-2006, 02:09 PM
I run my homemade 250 bi amp with 120 watts bass and 2 x40watts blocks mono tube .
When I tried the tube against the transistor it completely change the speakers in a real high end hifi stuff !!!!

Gerard

hapy._.face
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
The Nakamichis can be found as they are terribly under appreciated amps- Thresholds too (on audiogon.com). My advice- try one of the naks first (for less money) and if you like what they do- wait for the right Threshold to come along and jump on it.

Example: (no affiliation) For 4 bills it's a great model. I think you'd be hard pressed to find performance of this quality for the money. my opinion.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1150199138

Here's another. These are excellent "starter" amps that just might stay longer than you expected!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-PA-5-STASIS-POWER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ9713533150QQcategoryZ39783QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mike
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
While the 250Ti is a revealing speaker it is actually a pretty easy load to drive and not fussy about amplification.

Mike

JuniorJBL
04-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I prefer the Hafler XL280 (modded if you can find one) over the DH500.
Other then that I would recommend maybe the Threshold. I have never heard the Nak but you could use an Adcom GFA555 or a GFA555 MKII those are had for a good price as well.;)

doyall
06-12-2006, 06:20 AM
Would the suggestions be any different for an L250? Just picked some up this weekend. BTW, this forum is a tremendous resource. Been a JBL owner for 25 years. Spent countless time doing research here. Learned much but realize I have only scratched the surface. Proud to be affiliated.

lpd
06-12-2006, 11:17 PM
I owned the L250's and used a Threshold S/300 with them and was very happy with the results. To this day I regret selling both the L250's and amp more than any other gear I've owned.

opimax
06-13-2006, 04:37 AM
My 250TIs arrived yesterday. I have an adcom gfa555 for each speaker, hope to hook them up tonight or this weekend. I hooked up 1 for the pair temporarly to make sure they worked.... :)

Mark

JBLnsince1959
06-13-2006, 06:29 AM
My 250TIs arrived yesterday. I have an adcom gfa555 for each speaker, hope to hook them up tonight or this weekend. I hooked up 1 for the pair temporarly to make sure they worked.... :)

Mark

:bouncy: sounds good..can't wait to hear what you have to say....

Ian Mackenzie
06-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Your in NJ,

Have a listen to the Hafler in your system if you can before parting out the $$. Its a good start but you will grow out of it after a few months.

Okay, Can you solder? If so (its not hard) I would pass on the Threshold's and Naka's and keep your steaks in the freezer as there are fundermentally better Pass amps you can build on your kitchen table for less than $500.

I have build several of these Aleph Passlabs beauties. They were the cream of the hi end in the mid to late 90's and they are very compatible with JBL's.

http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph4-p5.htm
http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph4-p4.htm
http://www.passdiy.com/gallery/aleph4-p1.htm

Ian

opimax
06-13-2006, 11:00 AM
I will have to move my comments to the DIy/Tech forums as part of a woofer came off after "testing"

Mark

Zilch
06-13-2006, 11:06 AM
The surrounds are deterioriating?

Refoam time....

opimax
06-13-2006, 02:17 PM
it isn't part of the foam. it is like a trim ring or the last piece you put on after refoaming (I guess, I have yet to try this). they were suppose to have been refoamed 2 years ago???? It may not be that serious, need to get a pic tonight

Mark

JuniorJBL
06-13-2006, 02:20 PM
:) That ring should be glued in on top of the foam. If it has come out you will need to get some of the re surround glue from one of the surround guys on ebay.

Rick Cobb is one who most will say is good.

opimax
06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
sounds about right, still will get picture and I think a good friend has glue from a refoam on my old Dahlquist DQ 10s done 2 months ago. I am guessing the speakers haven't been pushed too hard since the refaom they got. I will be very gentle until repaired.... and then put 1 brirdged Adcom on each ;)

Mark

JuniorJBL
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
and then put 1 brirdged Adcom on each ;)

Mark

My friend who has a pair as well has a pair of GFA555's but in bridged mode they did not sound as open and imaging was not as good as one in stereo. Take it for what is worth but even tho they did have more power it was not as fun to listen to with them bridged.

He now uses them for sub amps (Citation 7.4's le14h-1) and uses a Proceed HPA2 to drive the 250's;)

opimax
06-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I will try them and see what they sound like bridged, thanks for the heads up. I know Adcom is about as low as 1 goes and stills says decent amp. I've got an even older bulkier Bose amp from the 70s, not as good as the adcom :)

Someday I will have more evenly matched equipment. I am currently trying to get to this imaginary point where the equipment is placed in its final resting point, wires are put away, pictures are back on the walls and when i want to listen to it I don't have to move any connections or jump through hoops to turn it on. And then I can start doing mods and upgrades

Mark

JuniorJBL
06-14-2006, 08:44 AM
:yes: :applaud:

I will try them and see what they sound like bridged, thanks for the heads up. I know Adcom is about as low as 1 goes and stills says decent amp. I've got an even older bulkier Bose amp from the 70s, not as good as the adcom :)

Someday I will have more evenly matched equipment. I am currently trying to get to this imaginary point where the equipment is placed in its final resting point, wires are put away, pictures are back on the walls and when i want to listen to it I don't have to move any connections or jump through hoops to turn it on. And then I can start doing mods and upgrades

Mark

pentictonklaus
06-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Nobody mentioned the Bryston. I am very happy with my 3 B. It sounds better then the more powerful 4 B. But the Brystons needs some time to warm up before they come alive. Plenty for sale. Try to find one with some of the 20 year warranty left. Bryston is very good in redeeming warranty issues. Some have balanced inputs that come in handy if you have to run long cable and your pre amp supports it.