PDA

View Full Version : OK.....I just got a Fisher 500-C tube receiver

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 12:21 AM
It sounds nice and I think I am gonna use it to run the Paragon for awhile. Any info on this bad boy?

As always.......TYIA!!!!

BTW.......ANY forum members that make it to San Diego are invited over for beers & tunes.

hapy._.face
04-18-2006, 06:56 AM
Congrats, Bee. That's a classic. If he's not too busy-member "oldmics" can tell you more about it; He is well versed on vintage Fisher.

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Congrats, Bee. That's a classic. If he's not too busy-member "oldmics" can tell you more about it; He is well versed on vintage Fisher.

Since my forced "Semi Retirment" I have been finding a ton of gear. I bought a whole system yesterday:

Fisher 500-C Receiver
Sansui G-7500 Receiver
Panasonic RD-2900 Turntable
Sansui SP-3500 Speakers

I will probably flip the stuff later but I am SO into cleaning it up and playing with it now. I will add a pic later

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Here ya go....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN1680.JPG

DavidF
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM
It sounds nice and I think I am gonna use it to run the Paragon for awhile. Any info on this bad boy?

As always.......TYIA!!!!

BTW.......ANY forum members that make it to San Diego are invited over for beers & tunes.

Great find from the classic Fisher line. Stereophile did a "perspective piece" on this (I am almost sure it was this model) in a rather recent issue. Check out their site out, it was an interesting article.

Hope your beer stock is not as "aged" as your audio equipment stock!

DavidF

Found it....http://www.stereophile.com/historical/605fisher/index.html

Mr. Widget
04-18-2006, 12:02 PM
I want to see what's lurking behind the Sansui grilles!

Widget

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I want to see what's lurking behind the Sansui grilles!

Widget

I cant get them off. Any ideas?

edgewound
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
They're probably held in place with small wood screws....examine the corners.

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 12:17 PM
They're probably held in place with small wood screws....examine the corners.

No, There is nothing like that on the front or back:banghead:

boputnam
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Are they just held-on with velcro strips? That was pretty common (on non JBL brands...)

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Are they just held-on with velcro strips? That was pretty common (on non JBL brands...)

I have pulled pretty darn hard on them and they dont budge or make that famous velcro sound

10 Watt Street
04-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Here are a couple of thoughtful Fisher examinations, the 400 and 800 are quite similar to your 500C:

http://antiqueradio.org/gallery.htm

oznob
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM
I have pulled pretty darn hard on them and they dont budge or make that famous velcro sound

Hey Bee,
The grills have probably never been off of them and that vintage "velcro" can be tough stuff. A friend of mine has some old Rectilinear Low Boys and it took a lot of of careful pulling and prying to get them off. We had a reason other than curiosity, however. One of the 15 or so drivers in it, OK so maybe that's an exageration, was making a terrible buzzing noise so we had to remove it. If you are determined to get them off you may try a flexible putty knife to get in behind the grill, just be careful!

On a side note, I'll bet you have a Superbee! My uncle had a 69 440 six pak with the fiberglass hood w/scoop. Bought it brand new and had it for years. He traded it for a Ford pick-up and some cash just before the muscle car prices went through the roof!:banghead: He has been kicking himself ever since. Oh, he blew up the 390 in the Ford about a month after he got it. Sheared the crank right in half! Needless to say it lunched the bottom end of the motor. He should have stuck with the Mopar, or bought a Chevy!:p

jblnut
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I cut my teeth on this one. My Dad has had one since 1968 and I grew up listening to a Dual 1019 playing through it to EV triaxes. When I was old enough, I "interited" another one that was in the family and I used it daily until the AV craze hit in the late 90's and I just had to have a surround receiver.

I really loved the sound of the 400's amp. It was super smooth with plenty of bass and a decent amount of power. These are keepers...enjoy your new toy :) .

I still have some spare output tubes if anyone needs them. Make me a reasonable offer through a PM and they are yours...

jblnut

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey Bee,
The grills have probably never been off of them and that vintage "velcro" can be tough stuff. A friend of mine has some old Rectilinear Low Boys and it took a lot of of careful pulling and prying to get them off. We had a reason other than curiosity, however. One of the 15 or so drivers in it, OK so maybe that's an exageration, was making a terrible buzzing noise so we had to remove it. If you are determined to get them off you may try a flexible putty knife to get in behind the grill, just be careful!

On a side note, I'll bet you have a Superbee! My uncle had a 69 440 six pak with the fiberglass hood w/scoop. Bought it brand new and had it for years. He traded it for a Ford pick-up and some cash just before the muscle car prices went through the roof!:banghead: He has been kicking himself ever since. Oh, he blew up the 390 in the Ford about a month after he got it. Sheared the crank right in half! Needless to say it lunched the bottom end of the motor. He should have stuck with the Mopar, or bought a Chevy!:p

I am afraid to pull too much. I dont want to break that fancy wood work. I thought I might go thru the back.

The 6 Pack Super Bee your uncle had is what I am going for next. They are clocking in at around 40 to 50 K now

SUPERBEE
04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
I cut my teeth on this one. My Dad has had one since 1968 and I grew up listening to a Dual 1019 playing through it to EV triaxes. When I was old enough, I "interited" another one that was in the family and I used it daily until the AV craze hit in the late 90's and I just had to have a surround receiver.

I really loved the sound of the 400's amp. It was super smooth with plenty of bass and a decent amount of power. These are keepers...enjoy your new toy :) .

I still have some spare output tubes if anyone needs them. Make me a reasonable offer through a PM and they are yours...

jblnut

I am with ya. I ran it with my Paragon today and it really warmed that sucker up. Tons of body, depth, and bass. We are ditching the Marantz and will be using the Fisher full time on the Paragon until I can find (And afford) some MC 30s and a C-20

BMWCCA
04-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I will be using the Fisher full time on the Paragon until I can find (And afford) some MC 30s and a C-20
We had a Fisher 400 back when they were new, and for years I used an SA1000 with my C-20 to power my 030 systems. I sadly ditched the SA1000 for a Crown D150 when tubes started getting too expensive and hard to source. Now the C-20 lies dormant, replaced with Soundcraftsmen twice by now (currently DX-4200). But I'd be happy to test the Paragon with the C-20, just ship it to me. I'll return it with my evaluation in a few years! :D

SUPERBEE
04-19-2006, 09:22 AM
We had a Fisher 400 back when they were new, and for years I used an SA1000 with my C-20 to power my 030 systems. I sadly ditched the SA1000 for a Crown D150 when tubes started getting too expensive and hard to source. Now the C-20 lies dormant, replaced with Soundcraftsmen twice by now (currently DX-4200). But I'd be happy to test the Paragon with the C-20, just ship it to me. I'll return it with my evaluation in a few years! :D

You are too kind. Keep checking that mail box.

JBL Dog
04-29-2006, 08:17 AM

I just sold a set of Sansui 3000's. The grille screws were very tiny. This is what they looked like underneath: