PDA

View Full Version : Reconing 2245H

nibbe
04-18-2006, 12:08 AM
How could you tell if your 2245H needs to be reconed or redone in any way?

Robh3606
04-18-2006, 04:36 AM
Does it sound OK?? Is the foam surround damaged?? Is the spider sagged?? Can you be a little more specific??? Post a photo if applicable some more information.

Rob:)

nibbe
04-24-2006, 04:14 AM
The speaker looks and sounds okay, but I bought the sub secondhand and just do not know what to look for. Perhaps the picture reveals something.
www.gens.se/hifi/b460.jpg
:)

yggdrasil
04-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Siden kunne ikke vises. Du får prøve å laste den opp / Please upload on this site.

nibbe
04-25-2006, 01:38 AM
www.gens.se/hifi/b460.jpg (http://www.gens.se/hifi/b460.jpg)

mech986
04-25-2006, 01:51 AM
http://www.gens.se/hifi/b460.jpg

Your picture shows two perhaps big problems.

1. The woofer has had the foam replaced and it was placed on the front of the cone, not the back as it originally was designed for. This can cause the static position of the cone/voice coil to be in the wrong position and make the driver distort more on high power use.

2. A section of the surround between 10 and 1 o'clock appears to have been replace or spliced in/glued in as a possible repair. This section may be functioning too stiffly and makes the cone "rock" or move unevenly through its excursion.

3. If the resurround was done on the front, there may be still residual foam stuck to the back edge of the cone. This may add mass to the cone so that the tuning and speed of the cone are off.

In any case, it would be advisable to probably get this at the least resurrounded with the proper surround on the back of the cone (if you don't mid the potential poor cosmetics. This MIGHT work ok but you still don't know the characteristics of the spider (although a good JBL recone/repair shop might be able to tell you when they check the unit out).

On the other hand, a full recone might be the easiest and most straightforward way to know you have essentially a new driver to work with. It will cost more but then you will have complete piece of mind, assuming the recone is done well.

Good luck and let us know.

Regards,

Bart

edgewound
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Obviously...:blink: the guy...or girl:D ...that did that piece of work(?) didn't have the right surround. It looks to have been done with a 15" surround cut and spliced with another piece of 15" surround.

To save it will take a good cosmetic surgeon. It'd just be better to have it properly reconed.

Zilch
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
It's apparently seen service in a different cabinet, where it was mounted with bolts instead of clamps.

If it's working fine, I'd just play it until compulsion got the best of my disposable funds.... ;)

nibbe
04-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Thank you everybody for advices. I will keep you posted.
Ingemar

nibbe
04-28-2006, 06:27 AM
It's apparently seen service in a different cabinet, where it was mounted with bolts instead of clamps.

If it's working fine, I'd just play it until compulsion got the best of my disposable funds.... ;)
The speaker was shipped from US to Sweden separated from the cabinet. Baxglobal refused to ship a magnet of that seize. The speaker was screwed in to a wooden frame and shipped by USPS.
Ingemar