PDA

View Full Version : Electro-Voice History link

edgewound
04-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Since Altec was acquired by Electro-Voice and since laid to rest by Telex, I thought it might be relevant to point out this article I found while surfing for for EV info....it has the time-line when Altec was acquired. A company history was composed by EV co-founder Al Kahn in 1953.

Follow the hyper-links in the article for details. I hope you find it interesting since EV has been in existence for 70+ years...and some JBL engineers spent parts of their careers there, too.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/commentary/kc/ev/ev.shtml

Mr. Widget
04-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks Edge! I love stuff like this.

Widget

DavidF
04-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks Edge! I love stuff like this.

Widget

Ditto Widget. Even the name "Electro-Voice" seems to evoke a long history. Probably because it sounds typical of the age it was created. Retro sounding today but at the same time it works as a good "analog" name in today's digital age.

DavidF

4313B
04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I hope you find it interesting since EV has been in existence for 70+ years...and some JBL engineers spent parts of their careers there, too.An absolute powerhouse of talent that has been mentioned on this forum during the past five years.

Thanks for the links.

Robh3606
04-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Now isn't this interesting

1946: Burroughs develops Acoustalloy, a synthetic plastic applied to the aluminum diaphragms used in dynamic mics at the time, resulting in improved sound quality. Rather than disclose the nature of Acoustalloy in a patent, the synthetic formula was retained as a trade secret

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
04-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I did notice that... these guys and the Bell Labs before them really have done it all before!

I also enjoyed the "door stop"... someday we'll make drivers like that...NOT!

Widget

Earl K
04-12-2006, 12:48 PM
FWIW ;

Tannoy also applied a plastic coating to their aluminum diaphragms, ( at least they did back in the fifites within the lifecycle of the "Silver" duplexes ) .

:)

edgewound
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I did notice that... these guys and the Bell Labs before them really have done it all before!

I also enjoyed the "door stop"... someday we'll make drivers like that...NOT!

Widget

I thought that quote was interesting too. It really goes to show how much influence Jim Lansing had on other manufacturers that are in concert sound today, using the same basic technology.