PDA

View Full Version : Surround question

rockecat
04-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I was cleaning my speaker's today and noticed two very small cuts on the foam, not sure you will be able to see in pic's. I asked all three of my cat's about it but I got the old wasn't me from all three. Is there anything I can do short of purchasing a catapult to keep it from getting worse or just live with it. I know they are small but they were just re-coned seven months ago and I can only assume they may grow in time.:banghead:

norealtalent
04-09-2006, 04:14 PM
I would suggest a drop of the white surround glue on the backside. It dries soft and will add support to the ends of the tear as well as hold the actual tear together. You'll never see it on the back. Remember, speakers build alot of internal pressure at higher volumes. That pressure will be trying to blow those tears open. The laws of physics will always prevail eventually. :bouncy:

Titanium Dome
04-09-2006, 04:15 PM
That the foam has three fatal attractions for cats.

1) It has a wonderful tactile feel to Kitty's own pads. Hmm, Kitty can knead that thing.

2) It's really grippy when Tabby applies the claw. Tabby likes grippy.

3) It creates motion when Fluffy touches it. What's that wonderful vibration? The more Fluffy touches, the more it vibrates, just like a mouse.

You'll probably get different recommendations as to type, but I'd use a light, flexible adhesive to fix it--nothing too hot or too hard for obvious reasons. Make sure it doesn't smell good to Snowball II, though, or she'll start rubbing her face against it. (Fatal attraction #4). Then Snowball II will be hacking up chunks of foam.

rockecat
04-09-2006, 05:33 PM
The funny thing is they lay by them when we are jamming out and I have
never seen them attack them. Is there a good source for the proper glue.

I think this is the culprit!

boputnam
04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I would suggest a drop of the white surround glue on the backside. It dries soft and will add support to the ends of the tear as well as hold the actual tear together. You'll never see it on the back. Hiding the repair ain't the question - the question is, should you do this type of repair?

I am sure this is not JBL sanctioned and therefore this thread needs to go into the DIY area.

Shame about the tear/cut. There may be others you have not found. You just have to get them redone, again.

Titanium Dome
04-09-2006, 06:31 PM
The funny thing is they lay by them when we are jamming out and I have
never seen them attack them. Is there a good source for the proper glue.

I think this is the culprit!

Outstanding! :applaud:

Bo is right. This is now DIY.

Mr. Widget
04-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I am sure this is not JBL sanctioned and therefore this thread needs to go into the DIY area. Oh Jeez!

Shame about the tear/cut. There may be others you have not found. You just have to get them redone, again.Not knowing how old the foam is on your recone job, I'd guess it may be foam rot and not kitty fun... when I had cats damage my cones or surrounds it was on the cone surface or on the top of the roll... when I have had foam rot it frequently starts at the outer edge of the roll. I have used the unsanctioned application of silicone seal from the rear.. it really isn't even a Band-Aid though as once foam rot starts, it is terminal and there is no saving the surround...

Widget

rockecat
04-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Widget, the foam is also seven months old. I probably should not blame the cat they really look like cuts from a razor maybe. I am wondering if maybe they have been there since I received them back and just now noticed.

pentictonklaus
04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
I had the same problem with my cat. But I noticed, that the cat also loves to play with the littel spring type door stops. Woke me up in the middle of the night with that fantastic" BBrrrrrrr sound " when got swiped. So I bought a few of those and screwed to the speakers. Looked totally goofy but kept the cat happy. It is however difficult to tune the ports to that sound. Then I trained my cat to stay away from the drivers and to use the piano finish surface instead.

Klaus

JuniorJBL
04-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I have done as Widget did. I used a very thin layer of silicone on the back side and it worked just fine.

Mr. Widget
04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Widget, the foam is also seven months old... Are you sure? I realized that you had recently reconed your drivers... I just wonder when the kits were made. If it isn't a very popular or common kit it may have been sitting around someone's shop or in a warehouse for a decade... I guess that is a long shot, but your damage just doesn't look like cat damage to me. The cat damage I have seen has a distinct tear look with punctures.

If you had the woofers reconed by an authorized JBL service center, you should take them back and try to get them fixed under warranty...

Widget

rockecat
04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Are you sure? I realized that you had recently re-coned your drivers... I just wonder when the kits were made. If it isn't a very popular or common kit it may have been sitting around someone's shop or in a warehouse for a decade... I guess that is a long shot, but your damage just doesn't look like cat damage to me. The cat damage I have seen has a distinct tear look with punctures.

If you had the woofers reconed by an authorized JBL service center, you should take them back and try to get them fixed under warranty...

Widget

I had them repaired by a company JBL recommended. I will give them a call you never know. The Kit's I know came from JBL.

edgewound
04-10-2006, 05:21 PM
..and it's still a current kit...C8R127A.

You should never leave the house after your cats have had a beer....they turn into hell-raisers.

I'd be pissed too if all you had was Bud Light.

JuniorJBL
04-10-2006, 06:20 PM
..and it's still a current kit...C8R127A.

You should never leave the house after your cats have had a beer....they turn into hell-raisers.

I'd be pissed too if all you had was Bud Light.

:rotfl: