PDA

View Full Version : Low frequency driver gasket replacement

Bernard Wolf
04-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi,

Last time I took one of my ME150HS drivers out of the cabinet the gasket was in less than optimal condition. I managed to use it again, but the next time will be the last. I have talked to JBL here in Montreal and they do not have any such gasket available for replacement. They actually suggested putting down a film of silicone and letting it dry before mounting. Any better ideas out there ?

Thanks - Bernard

alskinner
04-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Bernard

I use this material, provides a good airtight seal.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=260-540&DID=7&raid=44&rak=260-540

AL

Titanium Dome
04-09-2006, 01:02 PM
But if you try, sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.–Stones :rockon2:

If it's an O-ring type gasket in a routered opening, these guys might have something that'll seal your woofer. If they don't, they'll make it if you want it bad enough to pay for it.

http://www.marcorubber.com/

Better yet, make it yourself. Control your own destiny, chart your own course, sing your own song, make your own compression ring gaskets. :bouncy:

http://www.marcorubber.com/cord.htm

"As God is your witness, you'll never go ringless again."

If it's a flat gasket, then that's a different story. EDIT: See above.

Mike Caldwell
04-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Try thin foam weather striping about an 1/8 of an inch thick and 1/2 inch wide. I have seen some with slightly less thickness. Most of it has a peel and stick side.

Mike Caldwell

Zilch
04-09-2006, 02:03 PM
"Noodles" rejuventate in hot water.

I use ACE Hardware 1/8" closed-cell foam weatherstripping, 3/8" or 1/2" wide, stuck to the cabinet. It "flattens" down to 1/32" or less, conforming to the groove in the driver frame and making what appears to be a good seal....

Bernard Wolf
04-09-2006, 04:48 PM
If it's a flat gasket, then that's a different story. EDIT: See above.

Is a rather real flat gasket.. some of the weatherstripping ideas sound OK. Really am surprised no one sells it though.. even my local mega electronic parts supply shop have nada.

Bernard

Robh3606
04-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Can you get a sheet of cork and cut your own?? Or automotive gasket paper?? They don't have a 15" paper gasket for say a 2235 that will fit it??

Rob:)

Bernard Wolf
04-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Can you get a sheet of cork and cut your own?? Or automotive gasket paper?? They don't have a 15" paper gasket for say a 2235 that will fit it??

Rob:)
Well the thing is I would have to take the driver off to see how thick it really is. If I recall correctly cork would be way too thick.. automotive paper gasket sounds feasible. I have no idea if the 2235 would be the same. I guess I will just have to face the issue when I take it off rather than before hand.

Thanks for the help guys.... now, for some music ... George Crumb: Black Angels (Images 1) for Electric String Quartet (Thirteen Images From The Dark Land)(1970)

Chas
04-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi Bernard, I had the same issue when I wanted to mount four 2235's into boxes. The gang at JBL in Montreal just couldn't understand what I wanted. I gave them the 4430 cork gasket p/n. Then I got outside frame gaskets... I ended up giving up and used the Parts Express foam gaskets, I cut them at 45 degrees at the joint.

It actually worked very well, I am pleased with the result. The thickness profile is just right.

Uncle Paul
04-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Bernard

I use this material, provides a good airtight seal.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=260-540&DID=7&raid=44&rak=260-540

AL

I have used this product and it is outstanding. It conforms easily to curves and the adhesive will stick to just about anything. Great seal.

Bernard Wolf
04-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks Uncle Paul - now that looks like the ticket ! Don't know if I can handle that price though.. anyone want to go in splits on this ?? :blink:

Just kidding.. Thanks a lot.... Will order some up right away !

Bernard

saeman
04-10-2006, 06:34 PM
How about using what JBL uses - cork gasket, 4 pieces per 15" woofer, self adhesive back, still available from JBL - part number 20059.

Bernard Wolf
04-11-2006, 04:56 AM
How about using what JBL uses - cork gasket, 4 pieces per 15" woofer, self adhesive back, still available from JBL - part number 20059.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing here. Without taking my drivers out to see, I think that those cork pieces are an integral part of the driver. What I am talking about is a very thin paper(?) gasket that goes between the driver and the cab.

Mr. Widget
04-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Bernard,

If you want to keep it original, you should contact JBL Pro at Northridge and also JBL Consumer in NY to see if they have the part. Even though it is a Consumer part, I bet there is a crossover part number or even the same part number for the gasket from Pro...they are better about parts. I have purchased woofers from consumer that came with the type of gasket you are talking about... I am sure it is available, the trick is finding it.

Even if you can't get them to ship it to you, once you track down the part number and who has it, you can get one of us down here to order and ship it to you.

If all you want is just to make sure the speaker has a good seal, the weather stripping material will work fine.

Widget

toddalin
04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
If you go to the thread that has the tour of the Westlake facility, you see that Westlake has nice 15" round cork gaskets. I would like to know the source for these if not done in-house.

doodlebug
04-13-2006, 06:49 PM
If you go to the thread that has the tour of the Westlake facility, you see that Westlake has nice 15" round cork gaskets. I would like to know the source for these if not done in-house.

I found these on the Altec drivers of the UREI 813s I'm restoring. I, too, wondered if they're still sourced these days. They're excellent, and provide a bit of spring for the clamping system.

Any leads? Otherwise, I'll just go the weatherstripping route.

Cheers,

David

Bernard Wolf
04-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Bernard,

If you want to keep it original, you should contact JBL Pro at Northridge and also JBL Consumer in NY to see if they have the part. Even though it is a Consumer part, I bet there is a crossover part number or even the same part number for the gasket from Pro...they are better about parts. I have purchased woofers from consumer that came with the type of gasket you are talking about... I am sure it is available, the trick is finding it.

Even if you can't get them to ship it to you, once you track down the part number and who has it, you can get one of us down here to order and ship it to you.

If all you want is just to make sure the speaker has a good seal, the weather stripping material will work fine.

Widget
Ordinarily I would not be too concerned about originality but in this case I feel it might be worth it. I think the reason the gasket is so thin is to make sure of a tight and stable mate to the cabinet. I don't think either foam weather stripping or even cork would accomplish this. I think this is very important for the simple reason that the last time I took the drivers out after assembling them I found the bass to be more exagerated. For a time I thought this was because of the mod I had done which was to remove the x'overs from the cabinet. After more listening though I felt the bass, although there was more of it, was less controlled and kind of boomy. Finally, out of frustration I checked the mounting bolts and lo and behold the one driver had not been sinched down ! Tightening it cured my problem and I was back to the controled and neutral bass the 3100's do. Makes me think that foam/cork may not be a good idea.

So then I had a brainstorm.. download the S/3100 instruction Manual from JBL and get the part number. Well, although I do get a PDF 3100/2600 download alas there is no text attached to it. So, unless someone can help with this I will call JBL on Monday and see whats up.

Bernard

Uncle Paul
04-14-2006, 11:35 AM
320216-001

saeman
04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I think the Tail is Wagging The Dog here. From your description it appears you are looking for the gasket that goes between the baffle and the woofer frame. I replied several days ago giving you a part number, 20059. It may have been superceeded but JBL will know the new number. They are available, I have bought tons of them. Four pieces per woofer, self adhesive back, stick em to the baffle and go.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14781&d=1144690942

Bernard Wolf
04-14-2006, 11:53 AM
320216-001

Thanks a million - don't know how you got it to read the info.. but you did!

Thanks

Bernard Wolf
04-14-2006, 11:56 AM
[quote=riessen]I think the Tail is Wagging The Dog here. From your description it appears you are looking for the gasket that goes between the baffle and the woofer frame. I replied several days ago giving you a part number, 20059. It may have been superceeded but JBL will know the new number. They are available, I have bought tons of them. Four pieces per woofer, self adhesive back, stick em to the baffle and go.

Thanks Riessen, but that is not the same part. The gasket I require, which is in fact part # 320216-001 is a one piece thin gasket, not a four piece affair such as the 20059... don't ask why, but they are qute different.

Bernard

(http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14781&d=1144690942)

saeman
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
[quote=riessen]Thanks Riessen, but that is not the same part. The gasket I require, which is in fact part # 320216-001 is a one piece thin gasket, not a four piece affair such as the 20059... don't ask why, but they are qute different.

Bernard

(http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14781&d=1144690942)

I have not seen these before, only the 4 piece option. Learn something new every day !! At least now you're on track.