PDA

View Full Version : More help needed - I'll be glad when I can help someone else!

ddeand
04-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Since I'm just getting started on the whole JBL/Altec speaker world, I'm sure some of my questions will seem inane and basic, so please bear with me. Right now, I'm in the middle of reconing an Altec 418B, and I have a few JBL D216s that need to be reconed. I found the recone kit for the 418B on eBay, but I'm having trouble finding kits/components for rebuilding the D216 speakers. I've gone through the old posts on these speakers and have learned quite a bit, but there really doesn't seem to be a source for the parts I need. Either that or I don't know the key parts numbers for the different components. Sometimes it seems that there is a secret handshake or password that one needs to know before being allowed through the portals that guard the background of these speakers. This forum has been the best source of info, so far.

So, can anyone help me out? What specific recone kits will work for the D216? Will a C8R2110 kit work? And from where can the appropriate parts be ordered? Any help is greatly appreciated. I hope I learn enough so that someday I can be of assistance to others.

Thanks,
Dean

Steve Gonzales
04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
The 2110 is the pro equivalent of the D208/216. The CR82110 is an 8 ohm cone kit. If you can live with that, it will work. Those drivers are very old models. Usually, you have to find someone that has some NOS kits on some dusty shelf by chance. Good luck in your search.

moldyoldy
04-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't know about your 418 kit from eBay, but all I've seen were not-even-close aftermarkets, or incomplete, damaged, or misrepresented OS.

For the real deal, call Bill at Great Plains Audio. a 418/421 kit should run around $70, IIRC.