PDA

View Full Version : Rare JBL D-175 diaphragm

Steve Schell
04-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi y'all,

Mostly as an excuse to fiddle with my new inexpensive Fuji Finepix A350 digital camera, I took these pictures of a rare diaphragm. This is believed to be a prototype D-175 diaphragm, hand built by Jim Lansing in about 1946. It was formerly owned by Hal Cox, and was given to him years ago by William Thomas, longtime owner of JBL. Thomas gave his friend Hal a whole bunch of stuff at one point that had reportedly come out of Jim Lansing's work area in the old Fletcher Drive factory.

Most noticeable difference from typical late 1940s 175 diaphragms is the lathe turned brown phenolic mounting ring; all of the production items I have seen used a cast black phenolic ring. Next unusual feature is the way the leads are dressed. Instead of beryllium copper lead outs, the voice coil wire itself is dressed across the tangential compliance and up the outside of the mounting ring to the screw terminal. There were pieces of black electrical tape covering the wires on the outside of the mounting ring, but the tape has fallen off on the side I photographed. This style of dressing the leads is similar to many of the Western Electric 555 diaphragms.

Jim Lansing's handiwork was always meticulous, and this diaphragm is as good an example as any. The edgewound aluminum voice coil looks like a single band of metal, it is so smoothly wound. The only crude aspect is the haphazard way in which the shims beneath the mounting screws were fashioned. Perhaps they were added by someone else later on.

Steve Gonzales
04-04-2006, 10:40 PM
What a wonderful thing to get a look at Steve, you never cease to amaze us. BTW, love those Fuji digitals too, such quality for so little money.

spkrman57
04-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Great history info!

Ron

edgewound
04-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Great pics and history, and great plug for the Fuji camera...nice quality.:)

glen
04-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Sweet photos of a neat little bit of history.
Great post Steve, thanks for sharing with us!

MI-9448
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I will check and post a pic but I think that this is just a very early piece.I have a pair of C-33's that were purchased at a local salvation army thrift store by me back in 1990 for the grand total of $200. They were complete and working except for one of the HF units.I replaced the diaphragm and kept the old one.I will get it out and we can all play JBL detective and see if it's the same.It had a date stamped on the rim of May 1950.I dodn't remember the day but it was on there too.A note to Steve,Ask Jonathan Weiss about my speaks,He was here and we had a listen when he picked up the MI-1428's that I sold him.I believe the paper shims were there to prevent shorting of the leads to the driver body when it was installed.I guess this was an added insurance even though the leads were taped to the register ring of the diaphragm.I remember that all the drivers in one cabinet(2X130 & 175) all had the same serial #'s.The other cab drivers were different.One of mine is obviously a little older but I can't say if this was a classic case of buy another one when stereo became popular as I don't know if the C-33 was still around in 1959 or so. Charlie MI-9448