PDA

View Full Version : volume on sub

leif
04-03-2006, 12:58 AM
I have a B460 with a BX63a crossover network.
I am wondering....
I have to turn the gain on the BX63 pretty high up before anything happens. Even if I have it ut to half (12 O`clock) there is not that much happening. Of course it come sound, but not that much at all. If I give more gain, it works well.
Does anyone else have experience with the gain control on the BX63a? I had a BX63 before, and it was the same thing with that one.
Question to other owners of Bx63/bx63a:
How far up do those others of you have to turn up the gain on your bx63?

GordonW
04-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Depends a lot on the power amp and preamp you are using. I've had situations where it didn't take much gain on the volume control at all (using a Hitachi HMA8500 amp, for example), and some where a LOT of gain was required (using a DBX power amp, for one example).

If the amp has a lot of voltage gain, you won't have to turn up the level control as high, and vice-versa. Doesn't mean that there's any problem, though... the BX63A should have plenty of supply voltage (IIRC, it's like 20 volt rails?) so that even with the gain cranked, it's going to probably be nowhere near clipping or distortion.

Regards,
Gordon.

mrbluster
04-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Definitely dependent on amp as well as the efficienly of the mains speakers and their amp. Also, where you set the BX63A XO frequency. I do not think you have a problem.