PDA

View Full Version : JBL in at Mann’s Chinese Theatre

JBL 4645
04-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Does anyone on hear have any information on the "JBL" set-up at the “Mann’s Chinese Theatre” in “Los Angeles” as well as images of the installation past and present.

Thank you

Ashley

Steve Schell
04-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Ashley,

I do believe that JBL equips the theatre presently, but don't have any details of the installation.

As to the past, A Lansing Mfg. Co. Shearer type system evidently went in there, probably in 1936. That would have been a prestige installation at the time for Jim Lansing, and he made note of it in his literature at the time:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/lmco/bulletins/2b.jpg

Not sure what else has been installed over the years, but a vintage audio dealer told me that he removed some mid 1950s vintage Ampex systems from the Chinese Theatre about 20 years ago. These were the type with dual 537-500 big potato masher horns on top.

Michael Smith
04-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi
Did JBL ever put out a BRAG BROCHURE on it?
I have several on other theatre installations they did in the 80s' aka Paramount Theatre Seattle,Cinedome in Fremont, along with stadiums, Sprocket Films etc
Regards
Michael

JohnK
04-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Prior to the system Steve described, the Chinese had a Western Electric system with a gallery of model 15 horns, like 8 of them or something. I saw a picture of it someplace but I can't remember where it is now.

JBL 4645
04-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Hallo there to all that as replied to this topic.

JohnK' Michael Smith' Steve Schell.

Thank you one and all.:applaud:

It’s like this I have heard lots of cinema buffs that have raved about this one type of cinema in the world, where the degree of the audio chain is totally equipped with “JBL.”

And if there’s two great names that are performing there, that would be “JBL” and “THX” but there seams to be very little technical spec written about it.

Very little, and looking on the internet is like looking for a needle in a haystack, so what better place to come to, the “JBL Lansing Heritage” forums, I mean hell, there’s very little information on the “Lucasfilm THX” website, also known now as “THX.”

So someone, somewhere, maybe hear knows, and has made, or rather chronicled it with great detail, from installation, to acoustics, to testing, to audience reaction.

I mean what is the peak level, the peak level of a given type of film played back there, what does that sound like feel like, etc, etc, via the several different film and sound formats, from 35mm to 70mm, from Dolby Stereo A / and SR, to Dolby Digital SR-D, to dts and SDDS 8, also any if installed dts-ES or Dolby Surround-EX.

Now I have heard that the JBL 5000 series is installed there, but that’s just about it, and just about one single photo, hell if it where me I would use around a few hundred photos, to show what this place is made of.

Anyway JBL fans thanks again for the reply, I’m sure someone will have this data available to share with us all.:)

Ashley

Zilch
04-05-2006, 02:44 PM
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/cinedsgn.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/5000user.pdf

JBL 4645
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Zilch

That’s great research man, but I’ve had those documents for several years now, there must be, something that’s be published on the “Mann’s Chinese Theatre” document so appetising so tasty it will melt in my hands, there must be, something that as eluded me, it’s finding the correct keywords.:)

Ashley

glen
04-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Maybe you're looking for this?

http://www.jblpro.com/pressroom/Chinese_Theater/Chinese_Theater_Renovation.html

MANN'S GRAUMAN'S CHINESE THEATRE

COMPLETE RENOVATION INCLUDES
JBL PROFESSIONAL SCREENARRAY®
AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
LAS VEGAS, NV - MARCH 5, 2002 - The historic Grauman's Chinese Theatre has received a complete renovation, including restoration of the theatre's original interior including balcony, and new state of the art audio and projection equipment. For the audio system, Mann Theatres, Grauman's parent company, chose JBL Professional Speakers including custom ScreenArray® systems augmented by JBL subwoofers and surround speakers.

http://www.jblpro.com/pressroom/Chinese_Theater/chinese-theatre_sm.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:;)
Click Photo for Larger View

Since its opening in 1927, the Grauman's Chinese Theatre has become the world's most famous movie theatre. It was the dream theatre of Sid Grauman, "Hollywood's Master Showman," and his last and most extravagant creation. With its Chinese theme and historic foot and hand prints, millions of visitors a year visit this shrine to cinema. Mann Theatres recently undertook an extensive two-year renovation of the theatre, restoring its original decor inside and out as well as returning to its original name. The jade-green bronze roof rises 69-feet into the air and the interior of the theatre is decorated with a king's ransom in exotic art from China.

When the theatre had its grand reopening on November 9, the completely new speaker system was exclusively JBL, with five custom ScreenArray three-way speakers, 4642A subwoofers and 8340A surround speakers. The new Mann six screen theatre adjacent to the Chinese Theatre also feature JBL ScreenArray, subwoofer and surround speaker systems. These theatres and the new Kodak theatre are the central attractions at the new Hollywood Highlands Plaza in the center of Hollywood.

"JBL has always delivered an excellent product along with quality service. Together we will provide the ultimate presentation to our customers as well as the industry in which we serve," stated Ben Barbosa, C.E.O. of Mann Theatres, "We at Mann look forward to continuing our long term relationship in the years to come."

"The Grauman Chinese Theatre is the ultimate movie palace and being asked to install our ScreenArray speakers there is a thrill and honor for us at JBL," said Chuck Goodsell, Director of Cinema Products for JBL Professional. "They could put any speaker they wanted in this historic theatre and they selected JBL."

04-05-2006, 06:31 PM
If you travel to L.A. and get a chance, seeing a movie at the Chinese is well worth it. Must be the old MAIN CHINESE not the 6 plex next door. In my opinion, it is the best movie presentation in the world. The theater is beautiful, the screen is huge and the sound is awsome. Old Movie theaters are often discussed at www.cinematreasures.org (http://www.cinematreasures.org) They even have people offer equipment for sale on the site once in a while.

JBL 4645
04-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Evening all

Guys, it’s getting close, but still, this is just an introduction, 1927, around the same time of the dawn of the Talkie, and we all know which loudspeakers where chosen for that event.

glen

As for the outdoors image of the “Mann’s,” I’ve seen that picture before, so who as some personal pictures, of the inside of the auditorium, all around and close ups as well, behind the screen as well, in the projection booth, close ups all around please.

Who as pictures like this, or lives near to the “Mann’s Theatre” if I can only see it all, it will bring it 90% close to binging there.

Believe me I have looked for years, and have always come up with the same dry pictures, and I’m trusty.

Keep fishing guys, and thank you for the sole searching, my hat is off to you all.

It’s very unlikely that I would be travelling that way, very unlikely, but seeing 100% of you are nearer to it than I, it seams more plausible for someone hear to get around a few hundred photos of the cinema, just ask someone there if you can do this, say it for historical documentation, for the “JBL Lansing Heritage” forums I’m sure they would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you very much :)

Ashley