PDA

View Full Version : A-7 500 - Driver in or out of cabinet?

2$Bill
10-25-2003, 10:23 PM
What is the difference is sound with the 802D/511 driver/horn mounted on top compared to inside the cabinet?

Thank you,

Bill Wilson

scott fitlin
10-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Ive always listened to A7,s with the horn mounted outside the cabinet, I dont really know what the difference in sound is!

Over at Astroland they had their A7,s with the horn inside, and their cabinets NEVER had the thump mine have, but Im not sure if this is because of the horn being inside the cabinet, or the amps they use and the way their system is setup to play!

Anybody else?

Tom Loizeaux
10-26-2003, 07:13 AM
Altec used both configurations. When the horns went inside, a front panel was removed and the horn installed. This, in theory, adjusted the port opening properly. One could argue that when mounted internally, the driver and horn reduce the cabinet volume slightly. The only other difference is that the horns are higher (assuming these are working in the normal vertical mode) and slightly closer to the 15" speaker on the external mount configuration. I've never A/Bd the variation though.
Some models, like my Valencias, require the 811 horns remain inside.

Tom

Wardsweb
10-26-2003, 07:55 AM
I don't find a difference in sound. What I do notice for home use in a smaller room is the best listening is done seated (aligning you with the lower horn). If you have a larger room, say 20+ feet, I don't think you would notice any difference. Now, the big advantage for me is esthetics and WAF appeal. You can read all about mine on my web site:
http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/voiceofthetheater.html

Earl K
10-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Hi Wardsweb

Nice interpretation of the "Magnificents" ..

re; your JBL/Wharfdale corner horns,,, Are they in the same room as the Altecs ?
( just looked again at that gorgeous Rosewood veneer :D )

regards ,> Earl K:)

Wardsweb
10-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Earl K
...your JBL/Wharfdale corner horns,,, Are they in the same room as the Altecs ?
...Earl K:)

No Earl, they are in a back room being driven by a totally recapped Harman Kardon A500 tube amp.